Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Dorset NIMBYs in 'No to bike park' shocker!
  • bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Some residents of Christchurch are petitioning against a new bike park (first I’ve heard of it to be honest) in the excellently named Chewton Bunny.

Fortunately, this being Christchurch most of the NIMBYs will have died of old age before Christchurch Borough Council finish their consultation phase.

LINK:
    http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9436727.Angry_residents_want_to_put_the_brakes_on_bike_plan/

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is that a Werther’s Original wasp she’s chewing?

DT78
    Free Member

I hadn’t heard about that either. Hilarious picture.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Local riders need to liaise with the elderly residents to educate them about their misconceptions. They’re probably frightened of something akin to a Redbull Rampage outside of their windows.

People fear/hate what they don’t understand.

chakaping
    Free Member

Comments on that news story are brilliant.

I’m sure this one is a wind-up…

“It seems that society is just geared up to annoying dog walkers like me. Cyclists have no right to be there. It is important that dogs get their daily exercise in safe areas. Cyclists should use the roads. We dog walkers have to use such areas because the pavements simply are not safe because cyclists ride their bikes on them.

Dogs are an integral part of the British way of life and we must encourage them.”

martinhutch

I’m sorry, but ‘Chewton Bunny’ just isn’t a rad enough name for a bike park. The kids will never turn up.

aracer
    Free Member

People fear/hate what they don’t understand.

No – they’re just miserable and would oppose an orphanage for gifted children if it didn’t directly benefit them.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sorry, but ‘Chewton Bunny’ just isn’t a rad enough name for a bike park. The kids will never turn up.

Says the man with “hutch” in his name.

😀

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Anyone remember seeing South Today 10 or more years ago when they featured some local young lad who had big hopes in downhilling? They showed him riding down the cliffs in front of the car park and hopping the rocks at the bottom.

DT78
    Free Member

Great comments on that link to! I doubt it would make any difference whatsoever if people spoke those pictured. They probably have already tried

It is about time cyclists were recognized as having the same rights as walkers.

Better facilities would also, as people pointed out, lead to less conflict between dog walkers and mountain bikers – though if the new track at Moores Valley is anything to go by the walkers we start using the designated bike track to walk their dogs on anyway….

Ashley
    Free Member

That Ash_69 bloke seems to have sensible comments – I wonder if I know anyone who has a name like that? 😆

tazzymtb

I’ll get my parents to go and infiltrate the NIMBYS and then sabotage them as they’re in Christchurch. It’ll amuse my pops no end 😆

julianwilson
    Free Member

We have a somewhat similar debate going on on our doorstep too.
    Good things have been someone (dcl off here in our case) to come forward as ‘organiser’ of any good publicity (he got a photo of 200 of us in the paper) and to engage local businesses (and not just bikey ones) and/or the local chamber of commerce. Beware though, our local objectors fight dirty!

trailmonkey

Is that a Werther’s Original wasp she’s chewing?

ta, 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

lol – top comment right now is:

if building this will upset 200+ dog walkers then it seems like an opportunity too good to waste.

Come on CBC, make the right decision.

😆

40mpg

Not exactly a huge protest turn-out is it?

Unfortunately its just another opportunity for the Echo to publicise their anti-cycling campaign. Someone must have really upset the editor!

Hit and run cyclist 2 days ago

Get tough with rogue cyclists 2 days ago

Stop cyclists using pavement 19 Nov

And thats following all the nonsense back in October about banning cyclists from New Forest roads because they might upset drivers and cause a violent incident!

wrecker
    Free Member

Beware though, our local objectors fight dirty!

You’re going to have to elaborate on that one.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Dorset nimbys are the worst of their kind. A few years ago they managed to bring to an end one the UK’s oldest motocross tracks, Matchams. More recently they’ve opposed the development of in indoor skatepark, in a building that’s been empty for the last three years. And now this! I really feel sorry for local kids having to encounter so much opposition in the pursuit of radness.

Merry Christmas to the miserable sods!

Cougar

Once they’ve successfully vetoed it, they’ll be the same ones then bleating on about the youth of today hanging out on street corners.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I grew up in that area. Theres simply no way Chewton Bunny is big enough to be a ‘bike park’. Its a tiny strip of land thats maybe 200m wide and a km long at best, assuming full access along its course. The only thing it was good for in my day was snogging lasses in the bushes.

A run down to the beach might take all of about a minute, it you tried really hard to stretch it out.

Local reporting blown out of all proportion IMO.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

There does indeed seem to be a bit of an anti-bike thing going on down here at the moment.
    The echo reports pretty much any negative cycling story the can and the New Forest/roadie issue isn’t great.
    p.s. don’t forget the speed camera cops on Bournemoth seafront pulling commuters for exceeding 10mph! Wish they’d get the sodding dog owners who let their mutts run after you and knock your kids over all winter!

benjbish

Well the speed limit on the promenade during the summer period has always been 10mphs… hit the cliffs for some hill climbing if you’re tough enough. Or go slow at 10mph and avoid the kiddies with spades.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9702603.Mountain_bike_park_at_Chewton_Bunny_is_turned_down_for_near_future/

Rejected. Bet the sour-faced coffin dodgers in the photograph are breaking out the special reserve custard creams.

40mpg

I’ll make a special point of riding there illegally now, its part of a nice route to the pub on the quay .

No great surprise on the outcome.

(We actually got physically attacked by an OAP there whilst standing still with our bikes last year. He shoved my (6′ tall) bro, who was so surprised he fell into a hedge)

bwaarp
    Free Member

Let’s flame this guys website http://mjvande.nfshost.com/scb7.htm roflmao

There is NO appropriate place to mountain bike, any more than there is an appropriate place for bulldozer racing.

Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate objects and have no rights. There is also no right to mountain bike. That was settled in federal court in 1994: http://mjvande.nfsho
    st.com/mtb10.htm . It’s dishonest of mountain bikers to say that they don’t have access to trails closed to bikes. They have EXACTLY the same access as everyone else — ON FOOT! Why isn’t that good enough for mountain bikers? They are all capable of walking….

A favorite myth of mountain bikers is that mountain biking is no more harmful to wildlife, people, and the environment than hiking, and that science supports that view. Of course, it’s not true. To settle the matter once and for all, I read all of the research they cited, and wrote a review of the research on mountain biking impacts (see http://mjvande.nfsho
    st.com/scb7.htm ). I found that of the seven studies they cited, (1) all were written by mountain bikers, and (2) in every case, the authors misinterpreted their own data, in order to come to the conclusion that they favored. They also studiously avoided mentioning another scientific study (Wisdom et al) which did not favor mountain biking, and came to the opposite conclusions.

Those were all experimental studies. Two other studies (by White et al and by Jeff Marion) used a survey design, which is inherently incapable of answering that question (comparing hiking with mountain biking). I only mention them because mountain bikers often cite them, but scientifically, they are worthless.

Mountain biking accelerates erosion, creates V-shaped ruts, kills small animals and plants on and next to the trail, drives wildlife and other trail users out of the area, and, worst of all, teaches kids that the rough treatment of nature is okay (it’s NOT!). What’s good about THAT?

For more information: http://mjvande.nfsho
    st.com/mtbfaq.htm .

imnotverygood

He is a well known nut-job. You are wasting valuable badwidth.

dogbert
    Free Member

Let’s flame this guys website http://mjvande.nfshost.com/scb7.htm roflmao

Blinking flip, just had a look around his page and he hates just about everyone doesn’t he. For someone supposedly so learned he really is a hateful little man.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Dorset does have the best placenames though – and it has a massive giant with an enormous todger

float
    Free Member

yeah, how dare anyone try and make use of a massive area of scrubland 🙄 bellends. not like its in everyones way.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Dorset NIMBYs in 'No to bike park' shocker!’ is closed to new replies.