Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Dorking/West humble MTB
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Mornings,
    I going to be spending 18-28th September staying in West Humble,Dorking, and want to do as much local,off road, riding as poss…..anyone got any good info on local groups, or individuals, that could assist, or possibly ride with me, day times, during this period?

Raymond

Try Muddy Moles, they ride out from Bockets Farm which is just up from Westhumble.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nirvana do an “old blokes ride” Wednesday at 12 from their shop in Wescott which I suggest you drive to. It’s so called as it’s mostly “old blokes” who can ride midday midweek but it’s generally a mixed bunch and the ride can be anything from xc to quite jumpy although a there’s always an option. Usually back at shop by around 3pm

tonyg2003

yep us Moles ride out from Bocketts Farm car park on Sunday am and ride quite a few evenings. Sign up to the MuddyMoles forum to look out for rides. There are loads of trails around Westhumble although most are “cheeky”. Also the Dorks Corks are a good bunch.

pipiom
    Free Member

Registered on Muddy Moles….hopefully someone’ll be having a day off in the week when I’m there….looking forward to hooking up with you guys

Cheezpleez

Night ride 6.30 Wednesdays at Nirvana Cycles, Westcott. Ride till 9ish, pub for an hour then ride back to Westcott.

pipiom
    Free Member

Anyone in, or in touch with, Muddy Moles guys???….tried to register, but no answer so far…does this qualify as a “bump”? tonyg2003?

tonyg2003

I’ll message Matt the moderator. I think a few of the guys might be on holiday.

ybot
    Free Member

Dorking cocks, rides start at 9.30 am on saturday mornings and 6.30pm on Wednesday nigjts both starting at Nirvana Cycles in Westcott see http://www.mtbsurreyhills.com

P

ybot
    Free Member

Dorking cocks, rides start at 9.30 am on saturday mornings and 6.30pm on Wednesday nigjts both starting at Nirvana Cycles in Westcott see http://www.mtbsurreyhills.com

P

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers Ybot, I’ll be contacting you nearer our arrival

pipiom
    Free Member

Morning guys:
    Packing today for Dorking (West Humble) trip: I’ve got two bikes; one built for my pitiful attempts at Enduro/gravity etc, i.e. 160mm Pike, Magic Mary, XX1,etc; and one built for, slightly more, trail/XC/all-round riding (Tallboy LTC), Toro’s,1X10. etc.

Hopefully going to meet up with Dorking Cocks and Muddy Moles.

If I can’t fit both bikes in/on my car, which is more suitable for the local terrain?

And, do I need pads, elbow/knee???

theotherjonv

You’ll be able to find stuff suited to either if you hook up with the right groups, but if it was me I’d fetch the tallboy. You can jeycore on that, dragging a big bike around xc loops and some bigger hills would ache my balls.

Pads, likewise. Not many rocks but plenty of flint, roots and hard things to bounce off if you’re that sort of rider.

Gotama
    Free Member

I’d say the Tallboy LTC is the better bike for round here, it’s really not very rough or steep generally speaking.

Pads – a lot of people wear knee pads, some wear arm as well although I would suggest that’s massive overkill. There aren’t really any rocks to hit if you come off, just lots of trees! Whatever you’re comfortable in.

riddoch

You do see a lot of people in the Surrey hills with pads but it’s seems to be more a uniform than a necessity.

Gotama
    Free Member

By the way. Howard from Pedal & Spoke runs a ride on Wednesday nights, think they leave the shop in Peaslake c.6-6.30; check though. Given the bikes you’ve mentioned and the subsequent interwebz leap to your riding style they would be well worth meeting up with as they’ll show you a lot of the decent stuff on pitch and winterfold.

Cheezpleez

An average Cocks ride will include a selection of bikes from rigid singlespeeds to 150mm full sussers. Your Tallboy will be perfect.

J-R

+1 for the tall boy and knee pads.

I think elbow pads are overkill round here, but if you come off at speed it’s easy to bang a knee badly and be out of action.

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers guys: Tallboy mounted on car ready for early ferry and tortuous evil route down.

Hopefully see some of you there.

pipiom
    Free Member

Anyone know if there’s an “off road” option for me to get to Nirvana at Westcott……I’m about 1.5 miles up Chapel lane….total road journey is 41/2 miles so not a prob, I’m just a bit allergic to Tarmac

tonyg2003

From west humble you can take ride over to Denbies then up to Ranmore, along Ranmore, down the Bridleway (Landrover or some other very nice trails) to Westhumble. Maybe a few hundred yards off road and you can divert to some nice tracks.

nuke

If you’re on chapel lane, there’s loads of paths for up and over, down to westcott if you head further up the lane. Get on streetmap or bing for OS maps. Here’s a good junction as there’s a few ways you can take up to Ranmore…
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=514806&y=152006&z=115&sv=514806,152006&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=630&ax=514806&ay=152006&lm=0

1.5m up Chapel lane sounds right in the sticks…not many houses that far up, just bats

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve possibly got a few solo days which I don’t want to waste: anyone had experience of these guys “Flowtastic” for guided days riding.

siaxminster
    Free Member

Hi piplom
    I’m Simon, one half of http://www.flowstastic.bike I ride with the Dorking Cocks weekly and Muddy Moles from time to time, happy to talk to you about some midweek guiding in the Surrey Hills, can offer you an xc beasting, sojourn, or a tech fest with your big bike or a bit of both, get in touch and let me know, contact me via the site or Facebook page. Ta

danbo
    Free Member

I can vouch for Flowtastic’s knowledge of the local trails. They have been riding them for years. Great guys too. Have ridden with them through Nirvana Cycles on numerous occasions.

pipiom
    Free Member

One ride in with the Nirvana guys….superb route courteousy of Simon, quite tetchy descents, jumps etc (hence very stiff neck due to front door exit of the highest order)………Carbine would have been the better choice, but managed ok, for a chicken run Charlie…..”Old blokes” ride next.

siaxminster
    Free Member

Yep some of the best trails on Leith Hill are Nirvana Simon’s very own, always guaranteed some thrills on the Sunday Rides.

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers all for your input: Simon at Nirvana took care of me, guided and shop ride..,,last couple of hours tomorrow, and not done Box hill yet…..from the A24 at Mickleham, what’s the best way up ( or is it road?)….and when up top are the trails obvious?? Just don’t want to waste any time on my last ride. Oh by the way loveO/R climbing if it’s on?

Rockape63
    Free Member

It’s not exactly easy to give directions on a thread, but I’d suggest you ascend up the stony path to the right of the zig zag rd….a quite testing route as you’ll see! At the top go straight over the rd for 50yds bear right thru the carpark and take the left thru the wood gate. Follow and stay on the right forks until you get to the yews and decend down and left to juniper bottom. Turn left onto the rd.

Basically there are a myriad routes in every place, so it’s impossible to give you accurate routes as each can deviate so much.

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers RA63: did exactly as you said, rocky climb etc etc….asked the cycle mending guy with the van at the cafe, and he sent me up to the “Smith and Wesson”, hit a trail there, Something Pig???…met a solo MTB’er and all was rosy in the garden……my last ride in this awesome area, heading back IOM tomorrow/Tuesday, one happy old MTB’er…..once again, thanks for all of your assistance,

theotherjonv

China pig. Should be running well at the moment, in the wet the rooty bits can be what I believe is known as ‘sketchy’

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Dorking/West humble MTB’ is closed to new replies.