Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Dorking residents – are they putting something in the water down there?
  • davesmate
    Free Member

Firstly let me say I’m not a local, I live in Swindon but have been leading a weekly school mountain biking session in the Dorking area for about a year. I usually take them out up and around the Norbury Park area and have always found other trail users to be very civil, pleasantries always exchanged (albeit through gritted teeth from some of the dog walkers)and generally a delight to share the area with. However, on every session I’ve done since Christmas I’ve come face to face with some of the most arrogant people I’ve ever had the displeasure to meet. I’ve had everything from “bikes aren’t allowed on bridleways” to “you’ve no right bringing a group of kids up here”.One guy literally squared up to me wanting to trade blows after I politely informed him he was wrong (might’ve been a different outcome if I hadn’t had 7 school kids with me).

What is going on? Have there been some “issues” I don’t know about?

spacemonkey

They know you’re not from round these parts. Wouldn’t happen to me or any of us other locals.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

re you local? these are local woods for local people

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s our AONB and we want to keep it that way.

(Not heard of any issues over Norbury way, I was there 3 weeks ago and everyone was nice as pie.)

DaRC_L

There’s a reason the county’s called Sorry (with a slight Sussex burr that is)…
    they are a sorry lot. I’ve always had more hassle up on the N Downs I think it’s ‘cos they’re all crammed in.

tonyg2003

There are people out and about round Norbury park that aren’t impressed with the idea of MTBers up there at all – even if we are riding bridleways. Things left across trails etc.. When you get a little further away from the carparks people seem to calm down.

rewski
    Free Member

If that’s the first incident in a year after weekly trips then it’s probably just a one off, don’t let it bother you, most people are decent, even in Surrey 😉

jota180
    Free Member

(might’ve been a different outcome if I hadn’t had 7 school kids with me)

I can imagine, you’d have probably had to make a run for it without their protection

xcgb
    Free Member

Could it be you?…..

Sui
    Free Member

you should’ve squared up to the miserable unt(c) – the kids would love it.

yours from surrey.

davesmate
    Free Member

@rewski – if it had been an isolated incident it wouldn’t have bothered me but it’s been different people every week about different things. Most folk are decent, you’re right, I never had any issues at all last year

@jota180 – it’s good to know they’ve “got my back” 🙂

@xcgb – possibly, I’m no different than I was last year though.

rewski
    Free Member

Ah right OK, that’s a bit unlucky, why go all the way to Surrey? Are you not closer to Wales, Quantocks?

br
    Free Member

why go all the way to Surrey? Are you not closer to Wales, Quantocks?

And you can actually see the Ridgeway/Downs from Swindon, there’s loads of riding on there – all legal and usually pretty empty.

mattjg
    Free Member

& for the record Dorkers is t’other side of the hill, it’s Fetcham and Leatherhead residents who are giving you grief. Folk are a bit funny over there.

Sui
    Free Member

Fetcham is full of inbreds as is Leatherhead…

soulwood
    Free Member

This time of year is hard for the people who don’t involve themselves in some sort of endorphin boosting activity. The New Year is the same as last year. The weather is worse than it was before Xmas. It’s not Summer yet. And despite their own delusions, TV is still crap no matter how much X Factor or Dancing on whatever they watch while rapidly expanding on the couch. Then the dog that never turned into “mans best friend” just a yappy expensive PITA needs to go out and crap somewhere. Then they see you and just release all these pent up frustrations. Best to avoid them at this time of year.

mattjg
    Free Member

lol soulwood

davesmate
    Free Member

@rewski – much as I’d love to do something a bit more local the school I work with is in Dorking. Plus I like the change of scenery.

@soulwood – Reckon you’ve hit the nail on the head there. I do think it’s more the fact I’ve got the nerve to be taking a group of kids out into the countryside when they really should be sat indoors infront of a tv/xbox than it is about me riding there!

rewski
    Free Member

Understand, you tried Swinley? The kids will love it there.

tallgavin
    Free Member

Reckon you’ve been unlucky in the main. There has been a bit of hassle recently but nothing major and not over that part of the Downs (that I know of). There is something in the water though – Bollinger darling

mattjg
    Free Member

if you want to spread the net a little for your kiddies, there are lots of big open tracks, not too steep, kiddie friendly tracks on Holmbury Hill with a great view from the summit and Headley would be worth a look. You could also make a nice little loop from Epsom Downs along Stane Street.

mattjg
    Free Member

ps kids on bikes is a brilliant thing, good on ya. And the thoughtless ****s in cars make the roads untenable for youngsters, where can you go then in the woods?

davesmate
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I only have them for 2-3 hrs on a Wednesday and have to ride from the school so it’s pretty much Norbury park/Ranmore/Box Hill.

mattjg
    Free Member

my god people are giving you grief and it’s not even a weekend?

perhaps the weekday ramblers are a different crew

tonyg2003

Fetcham is full of inbreds

I know that we’re down in the Bookham Ghetto here in Fetcham (everything is relative :D) but it’s only 70-75% inbreds here.

mattjg
    Free Member

also btw we do a night ride every Weds should you want to do a proper ride once your work is over

uselesshippy
    Free Member

The stuff in the water also makes them buy audi’s/bmw’s and drive like pr…s.

mattjg
    Free Member

but we do learn in s’chool where to put our apo’strophe’s’

tonyg2003

The stuff in the water also makes them buy audi’s/bmw’s

No, no, no. Out here it’s Mercs, Range Rovers and Bentley’s.

davesmate
    Free Member

also btw we do a night ride every Weds should you want to do a proper ride once your work is over

Might take you up on that one week, at least I’ll have an excuse for being tired and slow!

rewski
    Free Member

I’ll have an excuse for being tired and slow!

Surely you’ve got being from Swindon for that? 😉

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Dorking residents – are they putting something in the water down there?’ is closed to new replies.