Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Dopped Kerb …. Can i drive across the pavement ?
  • nicks
    Free Member

So i have a traffic light pedestrian crossing directly outside my house with a dropped kerb, i have no drive but do have the space to make one, what are my options ? wing it ? apply for planning? (Although I’m within 1.5m of street furniture)

Seem a massive outside chance to do it the ‘Right’ way …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some places have restrictions on converting garden to drive so best check it out, anyway before investing time and cash he knows it’s not going to be wasted, this drop kerb, it’s not in the middle of the lights is it?

chip
    Free Member

Some one did something similar near a crossing near where I grew up.
    The council installed a massive metal bollard in the center of his drive entrance just outside his boundary to stop him using his drive.

chip
    Free Member

I took it the dropped kerb was for the pedestrian crossing.

skids
    Free Member

Sounds like a non starter

wrightyson
    Free Member

When I dropped the garden wall and dug off the 9ld garden to the front of my house and stoned up some **** reported me to the council near enough within the week. I had applied for planning and was waiting. Someone undoubtedly will report you as they have nothing better to do.

CountZero

Most of the private houses, and a good few housing association houses in my road, including mine, now have drives, and very few have dropped kerbs, and nobody seems to give a toss; the kerb outside my house is barely an inch high anyway, so a dropped kerb is pretty well redundant.

Am I understanding this correctly, that you want to actually drive your car into a traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing to access your house?

Not a chance and I’m amazed that anyone would think this is going to be allowed

simmy
    Free Member

+1

Like as been said, I’m reading this that you want to use the dropped kerb of the crossing as a drive access. Unfortunately you have no chance.

Even if you did start using it, it’s only a matter of time that you will be exiting or entering and a pedestrian appear wanting to use the crossing. How are you going to enter if pedestrians are waiting to cross when you arrive home ?

It’s an offence to park on the zig zags, even for a second. As good as it seems in theory, unfortunalty it’s a no go.

cbike
    Free Member

There is one here straight into the junction. and a car using it on the aerial picture. https://goo.gl/maps/jPTNvzHgyQ82

BigJohn

We have a bus stop, lamp post and cycle lane outside our house. We had to speak to a few people in the county council and borough council to find if they would have any objections to us building a drive. At first they say you need to make a formal application which costs money but you should be able to get them to send an inspector round first if you ask nicely.

aP
    Free Member

It’s a light controlled pedestrian crossing. At which point did you not think that driving your car off your front yard onto it would be a bad thing?

trail_rat
    Free Member

this is why permission should be required for hardstanding for your car……

people think this sort of thing is acceptable…as for the dailymail links defence “but ive always done it & i pay my council tax” …… the stupid are everywhere.

nicks
    Free Member

cbike – Member
    There is one here straight into the junction. and a car using it on the aerial picture. https://goo.gl/maps/jPTNvzHgyQ82

Same as that.

Interesting point BigJohn, i was reluctant to pay the £300+ fee when i have an outside chance of gaining permission but if the council would send someone to have an initial look that could be a goer.

My other option is to apply to move the lights .. $$$$$$$$$$$

sharkbait
    Free Member

What we need are more drives and less pesky garden to soak up the rain – go for it, it’s only a pedestrian crossing, what could possibly go wrong.

hels
    Free Member

Is this the opposite of NIMBYism ? Seems almost worse…

simmy
    Free Member

On balance, if it’s a Traffic light junction there MAY be a chance. My first reply assumed it was a stand alone pedestrian crossing not a pedestrian crossing on a traffic light junction.

Still not brilliant though.

cheburashka
    Free Member

If it is a pedestrian crossing just think how convenient it would be to press the button to stop traffic, allowing you effortless exit from your drive…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Same as that.

The thing about that particular junction is that the driveway was there before the lights were there – so the lights were put in a stupid place. I used to live round the corner from there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aberdeen homeowner hits out after council plan new street light in front of his drive

reminds me of this….. i had no sympathy for the home owner at all not even with all his sob storys – he still has more than enough for someone with a driving licence to get out of easily….

BigJohn

I was told I had to have both CC and BC permission and initially was told there was nothing I could do in advance of applying officially. It took quite a bit of persuasion and phrases like “I bet if I paid all this money and then got turned down you would say.. well if you’d have asked first we could have told you..”. If no joy through official channels get your local councillor to ask for you.

And as of last week we have a lovely drive and dropped kerb. Expensive permeable paviours were insisted upon though, but at least Scruff doesn’t have to dodge the cars parked in the bike lane on his commute home any more…

bensales
    Free Member

I drove past this house in Coventry earlier today. The owner seems to have recently had the same idea as you. They had the front wall removed and a lovely new brick paved drive put in.

The council appear to have thought otherwise and put wooden bollards all the way around their drive on the pavement to there’s no access for anything larger than a trolley.

deadkenny
    Free Member

There are a number of pedestrian crossings my way which cars use to get access to pavements or shop parking areas and it really pisses me off when trying to cross the road and some knob is trying to drive up the crossing. Worse is some go and park across them

Frankly I’d be one of the NIMBY who’d complain if you did it 😛

Though more seriously the council will be on your ass fast.

Personally if your driveway is restricted due to the presence of the crossing, I’d petition the council to move the crossing. Though if you haven’t got a driveway already, then likely no chance. Pave over a garden to make a driveway without getting a legal dropped kerb to use, then that’s your problem.

enfht
    Free Member

If your property had a dropped curb before the council installed the crossing then I’d argue they chose the wrong location for the crossing. Doesn’t the dropped curb mean the council had already authorized your drive? Why do you even have a dropped curb but no drive?

simondbarnes

Why do you even have a dropped curb but no drive?

It’s a pedestrian crossing. Surely they all have dropped kerbs?

Pete
    Free Member

The guy on the end house used to have access to parking on his front garden then the council put up a metal fence…

https://goo.gl/maps/V9n4LZZ65Gu

cheburashka
    Free Member

Had our kerb dropped in Worcs this year, they had recently changed so that a single private company deals with all correspondence, inspection and checks. Easy enough, basically fill in a form and send a cheque, but a tad pricey at £1350ish. The front garden had already been prepared (about 50m sq., gravel up to a small area of 1m-width block paving to separate the gravel from pavement). Considerations included what type of road was it (unclassified lane, hence no planning permission required), visibility of oncoming traffic/pedestrians and having no buried services in pavement (cost could have up to tripled if drains etc needed diverting).

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Dopped Kerb …. Can i drive across the pavement ?’ is closed to new replies.