Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Doping then – now we'll never know….
  • scotroutes

Fuentes gets 12 months but all the samples are to be destroyed.

hora
    Free Member

I wonder if there were any British cyclists in there.

scotroutes

If we’re just doing idle speculation, I’d be thinking more about successful Spanish sportsmen and women.

warton
    Free Member

bloody hell, that is a massive piece of news.

various massive sports stars, and teams will be sighing a big sigh of relief

bigdawg
    Free Member

The offences date back to the early/mid 90s I think millar was the only british rider to speak of at that time.

The reason the samples are to be destroyed is so t hey can never be linked to the tennis and footballers that we were told numerous times were in there, but everytime the good dr has offered to name names he’s been told to shut up – even during this trial – it was a farce from start to finish..

warton
    Free Member

bloody hell, that is a massive piece of news.

various massive sports stars, and teams will be sighing a big sigh of relief

mogrim

They’re not to be destroyed until the appeals process has finished, which could still take a while.

hora
    Free Member

If we are doing idle speculation?

Well it really isn’t helping is it? Do you really think it’ll only be Spanish ‘stars’? The only customers? hmmm.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Wasn’t Alonso on the original list that was released – only to be removed a day or so later after an alleged massive payment? I was told this by a Dutch man on a bike so it must be true.

soobalias
    Free Member

did the dutch guy take you for a schmoke and a pancake yah?

bigdawg
    Free Member

the list wasn’t restricted to Spanish sportstars only – Hamilton in his book makes quite good mention of using Fuentes (or rather his assistant!)

The trouble is doping at the time of the raid wasn’t illegal in spain so Id imagine that use of the blood bags and computer records would constitute a breach of soneones rights – or that’s at least what Id expect a wealthy footballer’s lawyer to argue…

It was quite obvious during the trial that people were being leaned on to make sure the details were not released during the trial – how odd he’s been convicted of doping athletes he can’t tell you about..?!

wonnyj
    Free Member
    kimbers

the spanish football squad would have to give back all the trophies theyve won

wouldnt go down well

im sure uefa and fifa are very happy to keep it all burried and no doubt applied pressure to ensure it was

and obviously nadal too

mbs2010
    Free Member

FWIW the chief of the Spanish doping agency has promised to try and identify all Fuentes clients and go public.

kimbers

I suppose what sucks is that cycling will forever be assossciated with drugs cheats in the public mind, when in reality its probably every top athelete

xanboy
    Free Member

Hmm, rumours in tennis are Rafa Nadel wasn’t injured but serving a silent drugs ban. Athletes and boxers are amongst the people who are being kept under wraps. Only 37 of the 200 different blood bags stored are cyclists.

wonnyj
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

It really does not help as it is clearly not transparent

Folk were cheating and we could know who..this is clearly in the public interest.
    It wont be just cyclists or the Spanish

I would also expect tennis – it barely tests, boxing and football to be in there

crazy-legs

Didn’t the judge in the case have some sort of links to one of Spain’s top football teams? On the board of directors or something?

Rumours being of course that the team was implicated in the doping ring.

But yeah, difficult to prosecute for because doping wasn’t illegal, he can only be done under “endangering public health”.

I wish Lance would tell all, that would be highly entertaining.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Doping then – now we'll never know….’ is closed to new replies.