Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Doping Among Amateur Cyclists
  • piemonster

I’m viewing you lot with a lot of suspicion.

Doping for a Gran Fondo FFS. Is this now becoming as common or perhaps more common than in the body building world?(or at least my perception of it)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Google Dan Staite

MSP

Is this now becoming as common or perhaps more common than in the body building world?

Sports journalists in general are a bunch of useless hacks, they are completely ignorant of the drug use in most sports, and don’t have the capability of investigating. Therefore as cycling is actually fighting it’s own demons currently, its easy for them to heap all the blame onto it, while conveniently ignoring what is going on in all the other sports.

piemonster

I’m inclined to view cycling doping cases as a barometer for all sports at the relevant levels.

I don’t see any reason why a cyclist is more inclined to dope than a 10k runner. That is however, based on little more than a rational guess.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you want to win, you want to win, whether that’s at an ameture level or the TDF.

Are you suprised when someone get’s fouled in an afterwork 5 a side match? Rules get broken, things get won.

If it wasn’t £000’s a month and dangerous do you think some STW’ers wouldn’t be using EPO to make the monthly trip to a trail center/mountain a bit easier if they’d not been ‘training’? If someone turned up with a cheep version of EPO with no side effects or health issues I’d be all over it like a rash on a teenagers genitals if it meant I could climb another 2000m in a day.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I have to confess I do ride occasionally fuelled by real ale, the internal perspective of my performance sees dramatic improvements but the external perception differs dramatically!

On a more serious note – why should cheating be the sole preserve of professional athletes? There are cheats in all sports at all levels.

FuzzyWuzzy

Looks like red wine might end up on the banned list so be careful :p

piemonster

/gets on telephone to grass up two posters as suspicious

piemonster

I think Ale and Wine are PID’s not PED’s

*that’s ‘inhibiting not enhancing’

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

I’ve seen doping at a local 2/3/4 race. Few years ago now (06?) a guy near the front who was frankly the wrong shape for a handy cyclist* had massively dilated pupils, was gabbling and had a power-to-weight ratio that was not in-keeping with his body shape. I’m not an expert but he was clearly high on something that was very performance-enhancing.

But, yes, ‘disgraced’ ex-pros (who often got a 2-yr ban) kept their hand-in by doing Gran Fondos etc.

(*he was a fat man).

tomaso
    Free Member

Vets have access to cheap EPO, ahem…

I don’t see the point as I’d only be a bit a less crap and still a looooong way from anything that could ever be termed a significant result :mrgreen:

Tom-B
    Free Member

A third cat was done for it in recent times I believe. Then that tit Dan Staite!

footflaps

Then that tit Dan Staite!

Yep, couldn’t meet a less pleasant person as well, used to ride my local Chain Gang and using EPO to win the local Chain Gang is about as low as it goes.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I use cider 😳

Is that banned?

atlaz
    Free Member

If you take a look at the UK Anti-Doping agency website, of 36 only one currently banned sportsman is a cyclist. The banned cyclist is serving an 18-month ban for refusing a test due to a family situation that he passed 12 hours later anyway and most people think he’s clean. Bobsledding has more banned athletes.

http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/current-violations/search

rudebwoy
    Free Member

once went on a sunday run after an all night marching powder session–weird, not enhancing, went home early… 😯

fasthaggis

Sunderland Harrier Rob Sloan came third during the Kielder Marathon but was stripped of the title over a claim he traveled part of the way by bus.

Cheaters gonna cheat init

Tom-B
    Free Member

Hmm the guys that I’ve spoken to about Mr Six aren’t quite so convinced.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

The only doping I take part in certainly isn’t performance enhancing.

tinybits
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon +1

I really think that if it was cheap enough, we’d all be in it. Just like alcohol, caffeine, nicotine etc.

Personally I’d love to be able to afford EPO and I don’t race, I just want to go further and see more in a day. plus having better eyesite would be pretty cool!

footflaps

plus having better eyesite would be pretty cool!

That’s HGH…..

yunki
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

The phrase “win at all costs” seems to be thrown around a lot (just googled Dan Staite) when talking about PEDs. What are the “all costs” here? Hardly life and death now that use is well understood. For amatures, other than the actual cost of the drugs there doesn’t seem to be much other cost. Cost seems small in terms of adverse side effects. And the benefits seem significant even if you’re just out for a Sunday ride.

The costs seem steeper with steriod side effects and there’s no shortage of users there even down my local gym. And that’s mostly for no other reason than looking buff in a t-shirt on a night out!

qwerty
    Free Member

i blame Dr Greenthumb

Leku
    Free Member

I thought Thomson were making a dropper seatpost not a ….

I’ll get my coat.

oldgit
    Free Member

Oh FFS yet more shortcuts. C*** culture at it’s best.

scaled
    Free Member

I love that the only cricketer on there was stoned 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Honestly moderators I really want to swear sometimes 😈

piemonster

Cyclist are the least of our worries

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21154316

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Pigs on steroids…aren’t they testosteroned up the the eyeballs power hungry freaks as it is?

bigyinn
    Free Member

One of the last races i did I was still pissed from a 3am Beer and Red Wince session. It didnt go well for me…….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Oh FFS yet more shortcuts

It’s only a problem if your in a competition either with yourself or others (e.g. taking drugs to get a PB or win a race seems counter prodcutive or wrong)

What if you’re a recreational cyclist who just want’s to ride a lot? I can probably manage 2 hours at a middling pace 4 nights a week without getting fatigued over a period of weeks/months. If I could take drugs so that I could ride 3 to 4 hours every night I would.

There’s no such thing as drug free sport, just over the counter. Look at the High5 adverts (ride XX% faster and YY% further), it’s only not dopeing drinking/eating their products because someone said so. You could change the rules so that races had to be done with nothing but water, or even no water as they make you faster don’t they?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is it not a reasonable assumption that most into body building have at least dabbled in steroids? Especially given how easy they are to obtain. Pretty easy to spot down the local gym.

Edit: TINAS, believe the ancient Greeks even considered training to be cheating as it was all meant to be about natural ability.

PiknMix
    Free Member

That bong will be harsh as fuc* good effort though.

As long as there are sports there will be cheating, just make sure your gains are all achieved through the hard work put in through your training 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Doping Among Amateur Cyclists’ is closed to new replies.