Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 268 total)
  • Dope as a pain killer.
  • tazzymtb

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

flow
    Free Member

is weed actually weed these days ?(as in good ol fashion green stuff with seeds) isn’t it all skunk which is rocket juice and cant be good for man nor beast…

It just means you need less of it for the same effect.

kcr
    Free Member

No one can responsibly offer medical advice to your Mum without a proper consultation and understanding of her medical history. How do the people offering advice about treatment know whether she has conditions that might make their advice ineffectual or even dangerous? See a professional.
    (this is not a hypothetical issue by the way – I’ve seen someone on here blithely accept a recommendation to dose their toddler with a drug which the manufacturer advised should not be used for under twos because of the risk of death)
    Not all pain management treatments involve drugs, so it might be worth finding out if other approaches are available for your Mum, if she is not satisfied with her current regime (e.g. Psychological therapies).
    Whatever you do, get qualified advice from someone who has actually seen the patient.

crikey
    Free Member

Jesus, stoners talking ’bout weed; nothing duller…

hugor
    Free Member

Well done TJ and DrP. Agree with your posts.
    Its amazing the shit that gets passed around the stoner world.
    As a medic I agree that cannabis has no analgesic properties, but that is not to say that it is not useful in palliative medicine.
    I don’t recommend the OP get his mum stoned – I don’t think its the answer to her problems.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Jesus, stoners talking ’bout weed; nothing duller…

What tyre threads are way duller

skaifan
    Free Member

My brother self administers cannabis. He suffers from crohns disease. He says there isnt much else that deals with the pain he gets. I was going to ask him to repsond in person, but apparently “its missions”.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

skafan- yes – bowelspasm type pains its good for – as its an antispasmodic

zippykona

As I sit here my mum is flinching in pain. It would be nice if she could have a cup of herbal tea to take the pain away or anything for that matter.

flow
    Free Member

She will be fine, just don’t get her too stoned the first time, it might put her off altogether. Also be prepared to see her laughing uncontrollably at the slightest amusing thing 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Zippy

Get proper medical treatment. there is no reason at al she should be in pain. Modern pain management is very good indeed with a whole range of treatents available. Its often trial and error to get it right. Go with there to the docs if she is unwilling to make a fuss. To often I have seen older women downplay the amount of pain they are in and get inadequate relief as a result

Northwind

unfitgeezer – Member

is weed actually weed these days ?(as in good ol fashion green stuff with seeds) isn’t it all skunk which is rocket juice and cant be good for man nor beast…

Nah, not at all.

flow
    Free Member

FM medication information

http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/treatments/medication.html

So you may be given one OR a combination of:

Painkillers to help with pain

Anti depressants to help with depression and sleep

Muscle relaxants and sleep medicines to help you sleep

Novel medications to help with pain and sleep (developed as anti-epileptics)

The good thing about weed is it treats all of the above, it lifts mood, relieves pain, relaxes muscles, and helps you sleep.

The side effects from the drugs they list for these symptoms are a hell of a lot worse than smoking weed, hence the self medication.

zippykona

My step sister is fairly clued up on her medical stuff being an raf medic (wing commander). So im pretty sure my mum is getting what is available. Just wondering if anything alternative will help.

samuri
    Free Member

My dad had chronic back pain for the last 15 years of his life. He spent years going to the doctors, many different kinds. When they couldn’t help he saw physios, accupuncturists, homeopath medicine people, chinese herbalists, all sorts. None of it helped. He really wanted each treatment to do the job. He was desperate.

When we suggesting cannabis he was dead set against it. Very anti-drug. But we eventually convinced him to try it. That took a couple of months.

We made him a spliff…..Did the job. Very quickly too. Relief within minutes. He kept it for the bad days only but seeing his face relax was tear jerking.

I don’t care if it was a placebo, muscle relaxant or whatever. It provided an almost instant relief from chronic, debilitating problem that was otherwise driving him insane.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

zippy – I wouldn’t bet on it. Certainly worth getting a referal. If she was on the right / best drugs she would not be in pain

flow
    Free Member

TJ – There is not a drug on the market that will stop the pain of FM, I can guarantee you that. Even the licensed FM drugs don’t stop it.

If you are interested Zippykona, here is what I have been going through for getting on a year.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/post-viral-fatigue

I’m sure your mum can relate.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙄

hugor
    Free Member

Flow how much have you really looked into FM?
    Do you actually know what it means?
    You will be disappointed when you find out.
    😀

flow
    Free Member

TJ – I know you like to always think you know best but for the past 9 months I have been suffering from CFS (very similar to FM). I would like to think I know what I’m on about after spending way too long researching the conditions.

I am giving advice as a “patient” and a self mediator of the MJ, thats who zippykona wants to hear from surely? Not someone who thinks they know, no offence.

hugor
    Free Member

CFS and FM are heritary! Wow!
    I’m out of here now. Good luck.

flow
    Free Member

Hugor – what the hell are you on about?

hugor
    Free Member

FM and CFS are fictitious. At best they are psychiatric diagnoses.

flow
    Free Member

Ok, go on this thread and tell everyone they are making it up 😆

MrOvershoot

Sativex has not yet been assessed by NICE (the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) but is being included in the review of Clinical Guideline 8, “Multiple sclerosis: management of multiple sclerosis in primary and secondary care”. A decision is expected in 2014.

Until then, funding decisions are made locally by the relevant NHS authorities according to local priorities and budgets. This means that funding is not always available.

hugor
    Free Member

Good night!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flow wheras Hugor, crikey, me, DrP are all trained medical professionals.

Mr Overshoot – I think it will prove very useful inMS

Flow – cannabis for CFS – 😆 🙄

flow
    Free Member

TJ no offence but I have dealt with my fair share of “medical professionals” in the past 9 months and I can safely say that means nothing.

Being told what something is like at medical school is nothing like going through it yourself. Most general practitioners have very little knowledge about CFS/ME/FMS.

I’m glad you find it amusing, I don’t.

I hope you don’t ever have to find out what its like.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have lived with “cfs” for all my adult life with exacerbation and remission. I believe I probably actually have lyme but its not clear at all and by no means definite that there is actually anything “wrong” with me.

I think here are many things all lumped together under these labels, that there is a huge psychological component and that for a large number of people with “CFS” there is no physical component at all ie its all psychological.

Using cannabis to self medicate for “CFS” is crazy. Were you using cannabis befoer you developed it? the first thing I would suggest is you stop.

I stopped reading and commenting on that CFS thread due to the nonsense you were writing on it.

Northwind

TBH if you believe these are somatoforms as it seems many do, then surely practically anything can be an effective or ineffectual treatment? (I have no opinion on whether they are or not- not qualified to hold one)

Since we’re talking personal experiences though- for me weed had no analgesic effects at all, in fact it was pretty unpredictable- sometimes increased pain awareness just from the mental state changes. But I still found it useful purely as a diversion from constant pain and general ****ed-offness. Not a physical benefit though.

flow
    Free Member

I don’t even remember you commenting on the thread TBH TJ, my bullshit filter must have been on.

Using cannabis to self medicate for “CFS” is crazy. Were you using cannabis befoer you developed it? the first thing I would suggest is you stop.

I started using it for CFS, why is that so “crazy”?

Like I said it lifts my mood, relives the aching, and helps me sleep, whats so “crazy” about that?

flow
    Free Member

What were you using it for NW?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So you’re a recent cannabis user – its common for recent cannabis users to be evangelical about it.

Cannabis will exacerbate your “CFS” symptoms. Thats why its crazy to use it.

It was clear from that “CFS” thread that you simply wanted somone to validate your “illness” and like on this thread you simply refused to listen to anything that you did not want to hear.

Northwind

flow – Member

What were you using it for NW?

Recreation tbh. More distracting than watching a movie. But it was of no medicinal benefit.

flow
    Free Member

So you think I just thought “I know, I will just start smoking weed” without researching it?

I think you will find there are a lot of people that use it for CFS.

It was clear from that “CFS” thread that you simply wanted somone to validate your “illness” and like on this thread you simply refused to listen to anything that you did not want to hear.

So because in the beginning I didn’t know WTF was happening to me you came to that conclusion.

I listened to everyone in that thread that put forward any information. I would and still am willing to try anything to relieve the symptoms, why wouldn’t I listen?

I don’t see why you always come across the way you do, are you that rude and miserable in person?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So because in the beginning I didn’t know WTF was happening to me you came to that conclusion.

No because I read what you wrote and noticed the way you rejected everything that you didn’t want to hear.

I am sure loads of people think taking cannabis is good for CFS – loads of people use homeopathy.

I have no problem with you doing daft things to your own health but I have a huge issue with you giving bad advice on health related matters

Anyway – you clearly have no interest in listening to anyone whos view does not agree with yours. Obviously your reading on the internet trumps the decades of professional experience from a range of medical professionals and in my case my own personal experience of “CFS”

Pogo
    Free Member

Yale University Press publication.
    Worth a read, it details controlled trials using cannabis and the effects cannabinoids and THC have on various conditions and ailments.

I think there is a section on CFS.

flow
    Free Member

No because I read what you wrote and noticed the way you rejected everything that you didn’t want to hear.

I didn’t reject anything, I started the thread to get peoples opinions and listen to experiences.

I have no problem with you doing daft things to your own health but I have a huge issue with you giving bad advice on health related matters

I am sharing my experience, its not up to you to decide if I’m right or not.

Why is it bad advice exactly?

Do you think using prescription medications, some addictive, with hundreds of side effects is fine, but using MJ isn’t?

Because its not legal in the UK?

Edit: I read the NICE guidelines, about 8 months ago.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YOu rejected loads of things on that thread – anything that you didn’t want to hear

If you give bad advice on health matters I am going to say so loudly and clearly

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Dope as a pain killer.’ is closed to new replies.