Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Doorstep riding from Leek
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hi

Anyone know of any good shortish trails that start and end in Leek, Staffordshire? I used to live in Buxton and had no end of riding on my doorstep. Despite trawling the maps I can’t find much decent riding from my door and have resorted to – gulp! – road riding.

phyncra
    Free Member

Surely you can manage the few miles on the road to what must be the best bits of riding in the peak. I give you….. the Roaches Skyline …..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

ha ha

No probs riding up there, but footpaths were my last resort. I have strolled along the top of the Roaches many-a-time wishing it were a bridleway. Unfortunately I have had landowner "incidents" riding on bridleways around Leek, never mind footpaths (two bailing twine scars on my forearms will testify to that…)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    collie
    Free Member

Have you found the nice pieces of singletrack in St Edwards and on Cheddleton Heath?
    The Bridleways aren’t a patch on those around Buxton but you can make up some pretty good routes.
    Where did the bailer twine incident occur?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Coming down the bridleway into Fould past Red Earth farm, just before you get into the hedgerows. Just north of Abbey Green. Whoever it was had strung bailer twine right across the bridleway and by the time I saw it, it was too late. Fortunately I was pulled off the bike by the arms and not the neck.

The other incident was a farmer at Cheddleton Heath who told me I couldn’t ride past his farm, despite it being marked as a BOAT and then a bridleway on the map. If this is what it’s light riding legally around Leek I dread to think what riding a bit of cheeky footpath would bring…

Been meaning to try St Edwards tho’. May get my lights on and try tonight.

collie
    Free Member

I’ve not had any problems with land owner round here although I think you can run into grumpy types anywhere.
    The ‘Heath’ bit of Chedd Heath can be alot of fun – some kids have been putting a bit of spade work in there recently and have put a few jumps in – not my scene I just stick to the singletrack.
    Might come across you later I will be taking the dog out for a run later – chasing her around St Edwards and Chedd Heath.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Can you give me some clues as to accessing this singletrack please? I can see Cheddleton Heath on my map but not sure exactly where you’re referring to. Is it obvious when I get there…in the dark!

Thanks for the guidance…

collie
    Free Member

My pleasure. For Cheddleton Heath, access is from the junction of Basford Lane and Cheddleton Heath Road – so if you are comming from Leek turn left after Leekbrook bridge onto Basford Lane and at the top of the hill you can access the heath just before the right turn onto Cheddleton Heath road. There are plenty of tracks to find (might be tricky in the dark)and with it being very sandy its a pretty good all weather play area.
    For St Edwards, turn right into the first entrance if you are comming from Leek and you can get into the woods pretty much straight after the junction, there is a nice little bit of single track on the LH side but the best bits are on the RH side of the road – again losts of shortish trials but you can make up some entertaining loops if you combine it with the Heath and Mollats Wood/ Hollinhay Wood.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Fab! Thanks Collie. Off there right now…

collie
    Free Member

Enjoy. Let me know what you think.

higgo
    Free Member

Roaches – Gradbach – 3 Shires and you’re virtually back in Buxton.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Thanks for the trail tip Collie. Despite a broken chain at the furthest point from home (and no tool kit) I got a good look at both Cheddleton Heath and St Edwards. Definitely given me something to play on in the evenings.

It seems the Roaches is an "accepted" trail then…

collie
    Free Member

yeah, they hardly constitute a classic, but are good fun and close to town.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Doorstep riding from Leek’ is closed to new replies.