Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Don't think we've done this for a while… X-Box vs PS3
  • legspin
    Free Member

cheers Drac

does anyone have a number for Sony? a search has found a few but they are quite old.

legspin
    Free Member

Well I have been on to Sony today, 100 quid to get it fixed.
    At least Microsoft will repair you XBox.

ChrisB
    Free Member

Purely from a games standpoint, I think the Xbox 360. It has better exclusives and a better online service – simple as that really.

If you want a "media centre" and not just a games console, they maybe go for the PS3. I for one have no interest at the moment in Blu-Ray films, seeing as most of them are terrible (I'm not really into Transformers and X-men films), and 99% of the films I like aren't available on Blu-Ray.

I also prefer the 360's controller, and find the PS3's Dual Shock to be good for some games like beat-em up's, but poor for First Person Shooters where the analogue sticks are too low down and close together.

Basically, look at the EXCLUSIVES on each console, and make your judgment based on that. The only game on the PS3 I would miss is Metal Gear, and the next iteration of that particular franchise is going to be released on the 360 anyway… Uncharted/Motorstorm/Killzone/Gran Turismo don't interest me.

BTW, GAME have an awesome deal on the 360 at the moment:

http://www.game.co.uk//Xbox360/Hardware/Console/~r344758/Xbox-360-Elite-Console-with-Forza-3-and-Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2/

£200 for a 360 Elite, Modern Warfare 2, and Forza 3. Same price in-store.

ChrisB
    Free Member

Oh, and if you simply can't live without Blu-Ray, a decent Sony player can be had for just over £100 now. They aren't the £500 beasts that were around when the PS3 first came out, so saying "but PS3 has Blu-Ray" doesn't really hold stead anymore.

Drac

At least Microsoft will repair you XBox.

Only if it's a recognise problem, my mate had his PS3 fixed twice by Sony them for free.

legspin
    Free Member

wish they would fix mine. Mind you i can get the part for 20 odd quid. time to dig out the screwdrivers i think.

Drac

Yeah there are third party places that will fix it, in fact if it's the lens just try cleaning it first also can help.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

my ps3 broke, sony won't fix it.
    independents will fix it for £60 with a 3 month guarentee (or charge you £30 if they can't fix it)

Getting an xbox elite, although wireless adapter and internet access on top of price are a con

steviegil
    Free Member

PS3 for me as i like my gadget's, my old 360 was like a bag of bolt's hence why i never bought an elite at the time i bought my ps3

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Defo the Xbox 360.

Better controller, better online, cheaper packages with games and controllers, and a 3yr warranty if you get the RROD or the E74 error, but I am seeing alot of PS3s dying from things like the YLOD, not reading discs etc out of the 1yr warranty and Sony will not fix them for free!

I just picked up from Argos:

* XB360 Elite 120GB Console
    * Extra Official Black Controller
    * Forza 3
    * NFS:Shift
    * Fifa 10
    * Free Fifa Football (with Fifa game)
    * Free Bush Gold HDMI cable
    * £10 Gift Card

all for £194.77! Great bargain 😀

I cant understand why people make a big deal about the wireless adaptor on the 360 being an extra purchase as I always hard wire my online console which costs me about £6 for a decent Belkin cable, and the inbuilt wireless on the PS3 isn't all that anyway, especially now that network protocols are being updated and changed.

Multiplats are widely recognized as being better on the 360, better frame rates, less or no screen tearing (and yes I can tell even without a 360 sat next to the PS3, just look at some youtube vids to see) and generally better graphics.

The main thing to look for is the exclusives, they may sway you one way or the other, but for me I chose the XB360.

Let us know what you go for 😀

Drac

I cant understand why people make a big deal about the wireless adaptor on the 360 being an extra purchase as I always hard wire my online console which costs me about £6 for a decent Belkin cable

I'm not going to run 30 feet of cable to reach my router that's why, although that said now I had a HD monitor I moved the 360 into here to gather dust and left the PS3 in the living room to be used.

inbuilt wireless on the PS3 isn't all that anyway, especially now that network protocols are being updated and changed.

Jsut what are you on about here?

billybob
    Free Member

I have a PS3 now neatly sat under my telly.

Pretty much blown away buy the graphics (got GTA4, Dead Space & Fifa 10) hooked up through my surround sound, sounds great – impressed with the browsing capability & bbc iplayer compatibility much better than being hunched over the computer.

Only things I don't understand is the playstation store why none of the movies you can download or rent have surround sound. I've had surround sound for ages, intend to use the PS3 for blu ray, you can download hi-def but the sound is 2.0? Has really put me off downloading titles.

ChrisB
    Free Member

inbuilt wireless on the PS3 isn't all that anyway, especially now that network protocols are being updated and changed.

Jsut what are you on about here?

Different wireless speed standards. A/G/B/N etc.

nickname
    Free Member

wow danger mouse, that's a good deal from argos. I got the £200 jobby from game/gamestation last week with a couple of games.

I'm currently faffing about getting an hdmi to dvi converter as my 'hd ready' tv doesn't have an hdmi-input! I assumed it had, doh.

Then I need to get myself on xbox-live, then I can start kicking ass on modern-warfare!

bentos
    Free Member

To be perfectly honest there is not a lot in it. Xbox 360 has the better controllers, the better online experience and better warrenty (Sony just give you grief), while the PS3 has blu ray, is quieter (although if you instal games to the 360's HD it quietens down a lot) and has BBC iplayer. They both have decent exclusive games and the majority are on both.

In my eyes it all comes down to what your friends have, and whether you want a slightly better games console or a slightly better media player.

Personally I have a laptop for the media stuff so I now only have my Xbox.

Drac

Different wireless speed standards. A/G/B/N etc

Not an issue then.

Wozza
    Free Member

Scheleschirche – Member

my ps3 broke, sony won't fix it.

Drop us a line if you fancy getting rid of it, It must be the soldering iron and screwdriver on my desk that thinks anything is worth a try!

Cheers

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

My mate next door has PS3, I have Xbox, He states Xbox graphics are much better – I state my xbox is prone to breaking down.
    He can play Blue Ray movies – I can't,
    My Xbox was cheaper – but it has already had to be repaired (ring of death) more PS3 games out there as well

FuzzyWuzzy

Bought a PS3 the other day as I wanted to play the new CoD and my old gaming PC wasn't up to it. I figured either get a new PC for £1500 that I'd rarely use or give a console a punt. Ended up with the £300 blu-ray + CoD bundle in Game (figured if I hated it at least I'd end up with a blu-ray player rather than going for an XBox).

It was easy enough to set up and the graphics are good (PC stuff looks better IMO, although displaying on a monitor vs TV probably accounts for a lot of that). At the end of the day though I just hate the controller, it seems a bit too small for my hands and every game demo I've tried seems to involve mashing buttons. My hands are like an 80 year old with arthritis after 10 minutes of playing. Playing CoD was like I'd never played a computer game before, I couldn't hit shit without the auto-aim on and that's not an option on-line (from what I could see anyway).

Trying to decide between getting a Fragnstein mouse controller (£60) or just binning the idea of console gaming…

DaddyPig
    Free Member

I know you can watch Iplayer through the PS3 but can you also access ITV and 4 on demand? I have an xbox but Im thinking of getting a PS3 for the bedroom. Could be good selling point with 'her inside of the doors'

Milkie
    Free Member

My hands are like an 80 year old with arthritis after 10 minutes of playing. Playing CoD was like I'd never played a computer game before, I couldn't hit shit without the auto-aim on and that's not an option on-line (from what I could see anyway).

You'll get better, just takes time. I prefer PC controls, and was useless at first with the PS3, I'm a lot better now after many days playing COD.

Drac

Very hard to transfer across at first Fuzzy but you soon get use to it, hard to pull off distant shots of small targets at a distance but it still possible. I'm use to again after a long break and can pick people off leaping between buildings now. The controlled is small but can't get the 'it's too small for hands' argument, I have big hands and manage fine.

MrsToast
    Free Member

If anybody's looking for a good 360 deal at Xmas, this one might be worth a look –

http://gamestation.co.uk/Consoles/Xbox-360/Xbox-360-Elite-Console-with-Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2-and-Gears-of-War-2/~r418077/?cm_mmc=gsdnews-_-wk4309-_-bundles-_-x360bundle

Just shy of £200 for an Elite with Modern Warfare 2 and Gears of War 2. Mmmmm, sequel-tastic!

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Don't think we've done this for a while… X-Box vs PS3’ is closed to new replies.