Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)
  • Don't Run Your Dishwasher Overnight
  • cheez0
    Free Member

Don’t Run Your Dishwasher Overnight

I’m perfectly safe, the mrs always has the washing up done before shes allowed to come to bed.

🙂

(I hope she dont see this)

martinhutch

I’ve owned a couple of dishwashers in my time (both reasonable makes), and neither of them managed to actually get things clean unless you rinsed them first.

For a supposedly time-saving bit of kit, it actually ended up doing the reverse.

And once the cost of the appliance itself, the tablets, the rinse aid, the salt etc got factored in, it was a bit of a no-brainer.

I think it appeals to people who don’t like worktop clutter (it’s a good place to store dirty crockery).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hora’s dishwasher:

bencooper
    Free Member

Ours manages to get almost everything clean – no rinsing, no soaking first, just bung stuff in and turn it on. The only hassle is remembering to weigh down lightweight plastic things so they don’t flip over and fill with water.

hora
    Free Member

We wash as soon as we’ve eaten. I couldnt imagine not. Conditioning I guess.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

GrahamS – so you start with a public safety announcement and end up with first world problem moans. A-typical. 🙂

hey guys, they can burn your house down to.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Amazing how peoples experiences of the same thing can differ. I’ve always run dishwashers and never rinsed and have never had a problem with things coming up perfectly clean every time. I never use rinse aid or salt, but always have used decent tabs (Finish). Just scrape off the leftover food and pop in the dishwasher, no rinsing. Comes up cleaner than hand washing every time – especially glass. They are far more efficient than hand washing too.

This stuff is scaremongering. Any device in your house can have a fault – what about your fridge? TV? anything that is plugged in – are you going to shut off your electricity every time you go to bed or leave the house? The chances are very slim.

andytherocketeer

friend did that to his dishwasher.

plugged in (as they all are) but not even running!

fortunately, he was still up at 2am and smelled the burning plastic.

got 6 weeks in a travelodge and free redecoration of the entire downstairs.

GrahamS

I’d suggest your experiences with dishwashers are… ummm… atypical Hora. 😀

We spent decades washing by hand. We got a slimline dishwasher about four years ago and no way we’d go back!

FWIW we don’t rinse things before putting them in the dishwasher (why would you do that?).
    We do still hand wash some things: plastic kids crockery, crystal glasses and big pans

GrahamS – so you start with a public safety announcement and end up with first world problem moans. A-typical.

<Greekwegian voice>

This. IS. SINGLE. TRACK.

fasthaggis

I’d suggest your experiences with dishwashers most things are… ummm… atypical Hora.

😉

GrahamS

This stuff is scaremongering. Any device in your house can have a fault – what about your fridge? TV?

I guess some appliances are more risky than others due to the power they use. A telly on standby is pulling less than 1 watt. A running dishwasher has to operate pumps and a big heating element = lots of watts.

GrahamS

Wow what a waste of water and power – you should get a dishwasher. 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

id have 2 dishwashers if i could and just alternate them, never any need to unpack

footflaps

We wash as soon as we’ve eaten. I couldnt imagine not.

I do. My wife on the other hand will leave stuff for days, maybe even years. I do a lot of washing up in our house.

ads678

Our DW broke down about 2.5 years ago and we haven’t got round to replacing it as other stuff keeps getting in the way.

I HATE washing up!!!!! wanders off to currys website………

Oh and dishwashers are like extra cupboard space you just alternate between clean and dirty!!

martinhutch

But do you hate it more than spending £200 on bike bits?

ads678

You make a very good point!!

bencooper
    Free Member

Before or after the brandy and cigars?

DezB
    Free Member

I HATE washing up!!!!!

This!
    Packing and unpacking a dishwasher is so much easier and less tedious.
    I got a (slimline) Bosch for £80 on eBay and I only have washing up for one person 🙂
    I will not heed Graham’s overnight wash warning, I’m just not paranoid enough.

fasthaggis

🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Our dishwasher seems to get things clean. Cleaner than by hand. And I can’t wash things by hand at 70 degrees, so I’d bet that the robot is more hygienic, than 35 degree fairy liquid and a mucky tea towel.

re: the dishwasher energy thing, these widgets often have a button labelled “half load”. Amazingly, it uses half the water and about half the electric.

boblo
    Free Member

In the interests of one-upmanship we managed to set fire to the local sports centre with a dishwasher. The mountaineering club I belong to has a half share in a climbing wall and we use a dishwasher to periodically degrease the holds. As it happens, one time (in band camp) this lead to the dishwasher spontaneously combusting and a six figure insurance claim for the consequential smoke damage.

We only run the new washer when someone’s around now :-/

edhornby

Hora – don’t leave the keys in the door, it just makes it easy for anyone breaking in to unload in the middle of the night because they can open the door without breaking it (after coming in through a back window)

doris5000

Hora – don’t leave the keys in the door, it just makes it easy for anyone breaking in to unload in the middle of the night because they can open the door without breaking it (after coming in through a back window)

haven’t heard this one before. But what are they gonna nick if the door is openable? Surely the main targets in a house these days would be the tablet/laptop, the jewellery, the car keys. All easily stashed in a coat for exit via the window…

also on the dishwasher/laziness argument – who here both does the majority of the washing up in their house (be honest) AND thinks dishwashers are pointless indulgences?

martinhutch

who here both does the majority of the washing up in their house (be honest) AND thinks dishwashers are pointless indulgences?

Raises hand.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When I have a kitchen big enough, I will have two dishwashers. Fill one up. Use crockery, cutlery, etc as required. When finished, simply load into 2nd dishwasher until full. Repeat from 2nd to 1st. No cutlery drawer or crockery cupboard needed. 😀

br
    Free Member

Same goes for any appliance, really.

Eh, you only put on the dishwasher, washing machine, tumble, fridge and freezer when you are in and able to watch it? Doubt it.

And on the subject of dishwashers, had them pretty much all my life as my folks got one when I was about 7 y/o (early 70’s, first kid in the school with one), and then when I got my first place bought one and in every house since.

Flaperon

I’ve never understood dishwashers. By the time you’ve scraped and rinsed the stuff, loaded it, unloaded it, you could have washed it in the sink three times over.

There’s your problem. I’ve never rinsed anything before chucking it in the dishwasher.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Why do people have dishwashers? I thought it was a 90’s thing! It takes minutes by hand to wash the contents of a machine. Plus you dont have to build up a load. First world laziness.

It doesn’t take ‘minutes’ to wash pots, pans, plates, cutlery, glasses, etc after a meal. A couple of plates after breakfast, yep, after an evening meal a fair bit longer.

Time is far too precious to be standing at a sink washing up, I’d rather spend the time doing other stuff. That’s for losers.

You have to build up a load – yep and how long do you think that takes?

footflaps

who here both does the majority of the washing up in their house (be honest) AND thinks dishwashers are pointless indulgences?

Me.

I’ve already done two lots of washing up before I left for work.

hora
    Free Member

Load
    Unload

Time is precious? Washing two pans, four plates and cutlery takes how long compared to load/unload? Not much longer..

lunge

Me, I do all the cooking too. My wife swears it’s a pain to do it and so when we get our new kitchen it will have a dishwasher. I’d happily do without, alas, this is not my decision to make.

We did get the big double oven and 5 burner hob though!

DezB
    Free Member

how long compared to load/unload?

What do you do with the items after you’ve washed them by hand?

chakaping
    Free Member

Until a year or two ago this was exactly me.

New house came with a dishwasher though and it has won me over with its seductive ways, especially now we have two kids.

martinhutch

What do you do with the items after you’ve washed them by hand?

Put them in a rack on the drainer to dry?

franksinatra

Seriously? Get a grip on yourselves. A PSA about fire risk and people are bitching about whether to wash by hand or not.

FFS.

doris5000

fair enough. in our house, it’s the person who doesn’t do so much washing up (my dear wife) who thinks dishwashers are pointless 😉

avdave2

In 2013-14, there were 258 dwelling fire fatalities

Smokers’ materials (e.g. cigarettes, cigars or pipe tobacco)
    caused the largest share of deaths in accidental dwelling
    fires (37%), while cooking appliances are the source of ignition
    in more than half of accidental fires in dwellings.

Road deaths in 2013 were 1713

You’re far more likely to need the fire brigade to cut you out of your car or lift a tipper truck off your bike than rescue you from a fire!

So by all means get a dishwasher but get it delivered rather than drive to pick it up.

DezB
    Free Member

Put them in a rack on the drainer to dry?

and leave them there?

Not sure what Hora is hoping to gain anyway. Everyone who uses a dishwasher will suddenly go “UH DUH YEAH! I could do this by hand..”

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Time is precious? Washing two pans, four plates and cutlery takes how long compared to load/unload? Not much longer..

What sort of meal involves just two pans? Do you use glasses and utensils?

Anyway washing up would completely ruin our white corian sink.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Don't Run Your Dishwasher Overnight’ is closed to new replies.