Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Don't know who Laurence Taylor is
  • bearnecessities

..but I already like him 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Statistics init, can change them to show what you want.

If you did your pie with how much resource that 330k people take out of the country or benefits/NHS etc, then your wedge would be bigger.

So although it shows one view point, you easily show an alternate view point with statistics

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you did your pie with how much resource that 330k people take out of the country or benefits/NHS etc, then your wedge would be bigger.

Or we could just make them up….
    AFAIK we are not importing pensioners

martinhutch

Which paper is that?

leffeboy

Or possibly smaller if some of them are earners. Stats rocks

lazybike
    Free Member

Imagine my dissapointment when I realised this thread wasn’t about the great NFL linebacker..

Speshpaul

“If you did your pie with how much resource that 330k people take out of the country or benefits/NHS etc, then your wedge would be bigger.”

Nope smaller.

oldnpastit

That’s migrants per year, compared to total population. So imagine that graph after twenty years of migration, you might not be quite so relaxed about it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Until recently we had parity with near zero net migration. As states elsewhere the UK has reasonably low unemployment and a large skills shortage in many areas such as health. So you you want immigration or nurses?

PJ266
    Free Member

That’s migrants per year, compared to total population. So imagine that graph after twenty years of migration, you might not be quite so relaxed about it.

I can assure you I would be just as relaxed about it, thanks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

f you did your pie with how much resource that 330k people take out of the country or benefits/NHS etc, then your wedge would be bigger.

Your point is totally false and research shows that immigrants are net contributors to the economy

Feel free to use fact check or any number of other unbiased sources to get this indisputable point.

pondo

Imagine my dissapointment when I realised this thread wasn’t about the great NFL linebacker..

Let’s imagine that.
    “Imagine that we left the EU and banned EU immigration completely. Nobody else allowed – no footballers, no entertainers, no chefs, no businessmen, no nurses, no cleaners, nobody. And we kept that door shut for ten years. And for comparison let’s say that we stayed in the EU and immigration continues at this year’s record level (the highest ever) for the next ten years. How would that impact our population and our public services?
    In terms of population, we’d end up with 1.85m fewer people living in our country after the 10 years. That sounds like a lot of people, which it is. But we’re a big country – 64.6m in total at the moment (2). So even under these very extreme assumptions the difference is only 2.8%. Less than 1 in 35.
    Would you notice the difference if there were 34 instead of 35 people in your doctors’ waiting room? If there were 34 instead of 35 cars ahead of you in the traffic jam? Would your child’s education suffer in a class of 35 instead of 34? I doubt it.
    And don’t forget that we’re making crazily unrealistic assumptions about how much we could reduce immigration if we left the EU. Because even the most ardent Leave campaigners don’t say that we should stop immigration altogether. They usually talk of using a points system to reach the government’s net target of 100,000 per year. So the difference in population after 10 years wouldn’t be anything like as much as 1 in 35.
    Let’s say we could hit the net target of 100,000 – half from the EU and half from non-EU countries for the sake of argument. In that case, the difference in population after 10 years would be 1.35m or 1 in 49.
    And don’t forget that we’re also making another very aggressive assumption – that migration will continue at the same level as last year, our highest ever. It would be more realistic to take the average of the last five years migration (3). If we do that, then the difference in our population after ten years would be only 790,000 or 1 in 82.
    1 in 82.
    I can’t tell the difference between a crowd of 81 and 82 people (even when they were my own wedding guests!). Can you?”

MoreCashThanDash

Frankly, immigration would not be one of the factors that would make me vote to leave.

Shame the out campaign have not come up with any other reasons.

jimdubleyou

Population growth has been between 0.3 & 0.8% since the mid-nineties.

wwaswas

I like his comment at the bottom right 🙂

bearnecessities

Thank you! That was the point of this post 🙂

orangespyderman

If you liked that guy, you should probably listen to what this guy says :

https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2016/06/16/watch-dishonesty-industrial-scale-eu-law-expert-analyses-referendum-debate/

and then read his follow up here :
    https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2016/06/20/eu-law-expert-responds-industrial-dishonesty-video-goes-viral/

Sorry if that’s been posted already elsewhere, but I do find it an insightful piece.

hooli

I like it 🙂

I am often amazed at the number of people who think that every person who settles in the UK arrives in the back of a lorry and never works a day in their lives as the benefits are too good.

In my experience, quite a few with this opinion hold it from the comfort of their council house having not worked much of their lives.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Obviously a sibling of Swift. 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

I am often amazed at the number of people who think that every person who settles in the UK arrives in the back of a lorry and never works a day in their lives as the benefits are too good

but in XX country you can live like a king on £20/ week so why wouldn’t they come to the uk for £ 72 job seekers a week?!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

This. Great player, great character

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

This. Great player, great character

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Population growth has been between 0.3 & 0.8% since the mid-nineties.

On a long enough timescale, anything other than 0% is unsustainable, given that we live on a finite planet, etc etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

We can grow to the point the planet cannot feed us all so at some point it needs to become 0 % but not until the maximum we can manage has been reached,

outofbreath
    Free Member

“1 in 35”

Putting an additional 1/35 of our country under concrete to build houses and infrastructure strikes me as quite horrific. (They can’t live in tents.)

Not that it matters since immigration will continue at the same pace on or out of Europe IMHO, because its a quick way to achieve economic growth.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“We can grow to the point the planet cannot feed us all so at some point it needs to become 0 % but not until the maximum we can manage has been reached,”

Google the phosphates crisis.

rOcKeTdOg

+2 legend!

BillMC

Yesterday I drove from Rutland to Leicester and on average…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you not get it that immigrants are net contributors to our society?

Seeing as the average brit probably has to work and pay taxes for a good few years to pay off being born, free education, health care and all the rest. Immigrants start from a zero balance.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Google the phosphates crisis.

I don’t need to* but that does not negate the point I made it simply means the number today is not sustainable. At some point growth is sustainable and then it needs to drop to zero we can still grow or else we would be stuck with just adam and eve as the entire human population. Not sure what would happen when they had kids as we have a natural increase then. .

* fair point though. I suppose we could say “natural disaster” initiates a massive cull but that will be man made.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Seeing as the average brit probably has to work and pay taxes for a good few years to pay off being born, free education, health care and all the rest. Immigrants start from a zero balance.

this point makes zero sense
    Those who come here either contribute an amount to the coffers or they are a deficit to the coffers
    What UK nationals do either positively or negatively has ZERO impact on whether immigrants are net contributors.

All the stats show they are net contributors
    yes it includes NHS costs and education and benefits etc in the calculation

molgrips
    Free Member

Can we perhaps accept EU migrants, but also give a grant to help people migrate OUT of the UK as well?

Then all these moaners can go live somewhere else, and given most of them are old it’ll ease the pressure on the NHS.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Until recently we had parity with near zero net migration. As states elsewhere the UK has reasonably low unemployment and a large skills shortage in many areas such as health. So you you want immigration or nurses?

I thought the point of the leave argument is that as Australia does, you get the nurses and not the unskilled labourers

no one on leave has stated zero immigration it’s all about the points system and getting the talent rather than any person who wants to move here

the nurse might be happier that house prices/ rents fall if the pressure on housing is reduced

the point is mute anyway, the later day King Vortigern has long done his work and it’s now just a matter of time before the order of things changes, a vote either way will not change this

Slightly picky, but isn’t the 330k figure NET migration?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

All the stats show they are net contributors
    yes it includes NHS costs and education and benefits etc in the calculation

mainly because the stats don’t cover increasing infrastructure to manage the numbers, as we aren’t building more hospitals, schools, roads, rail etc instead just sweating existing assets it creates the illusion of the marginal costs being more than covered

nickc

mainly because the stats don’t cover increasing infrastructure to manage the numbers

This is hardly the fault of the immigrants though.

molgrips
    Free Member

no one on leave has stated zero immigration it’s all about the points system and getting the talent rather than any person who wants to move here

Do people really just move across Europe to claim benefits? Really? I think people move for jobs.. so when there aren’t vacancies most of the people would stop coming, surely?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What UK nationals do either positively or negatively has ZERO impact on whether immigrants are net contributors.

100% but for those on their immigrants cost crusade some simple reminders about what most people have taken from the pot before even starting to pay in is useful.

scotroutes

Schrodingers immigrant – the one that simultaneously lives off benefits AND steals your job.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Don't know who Laurence Taylor is’ is closed to new replies.