• This topic has 41 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by beej.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Don't hang your car keys near the front door….
  • Jamie
    Free Member

…if you have keyless entry.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pffcngJJq0[/video]

*puts keys in the microwave*

jam-bo

if its my in-laws, just look in the ignition, that’s where the keys are most likely to be.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Apprantly the signal booster kit costs about a grand but you can make one yourself for £200. Even so, how much is that worth in bits? The wheels alone would probably pay for it.

Here’s a better idea, get a Faraday wallet.

And ffs stop leaving keys at your front door, this is just a variation of an old trick albeit hands free.

funkmasterp

Ha! I own a crap car with a broken fob. Jokes on you techno criminals.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Been on the car groups for some time, they can boost the signal.
    As above use a Faraday wallet or similar

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I read something the other day about a guy who hid his whereabouts from his employer by putting his tracker in a foil crisp packet while he was playing golf. I guess the same would work for the key based on the faraday principal? Just have to tell the missus not to throw that crisp packet out!

matt_outandabout

I own a near 12 year old, 150k people carrier in grey and diesel, with trim hanging off, dinged alloys and a heady whiff of damp mountain biker.
    I think they would knock and ask for payment to take it away….

😆

tonyg2003

Mercedes (as in the clip) double click when you leave the car (I know sort of defeating the point of keyless!) disables the keyless key. No repeater tactic then.

oliverracing

Makes me feel a little bit happier about having a 30 year old car with key in door opening… 😆

zippykona

Crook lock anyone?

mechanicaldope

Can see a time when insurers (rightly) wont want to touch a keyless entry car.

nealglover
    Free Member

150k people carrier

Do you need a special licence to drive that ?

somouk
    Free Member

Crook lock anyone?

That is exactly what West Midlands police are telling people. Go and buy a disklok or similar.

It needs looking at by the manufacturers and some form of security protocols employing to stop the use of radio repeaters to send the signal to the car. If it’s not the key then don’t listen to it type thing.

matt_outandabout

Why not a key and PIN number?

rene59
    Free Member

My keyfob you need to push a button on it to open the doors. I take it in the example above you just need to be close to the car and it opens automatically?

Seems a pointless thing to me, how difficult was it to push a button?

bikebouy
    Free Member

We stick our keys in foil then use one of those Key Locks when we go surfing.

Jamie
    Free Member

Means you don’t have to get your keys out your pocket. Which on the few hire cars I have had with it, is surprisingly handy if you have shopping in your hands or just can’t remember which pocket you have your key in.

rene59
    Free Member

Don’t you still need a free hand to open the door?

the-muffin-man

That is exactly what West Midlands police are telling people. Go and buy a disklok or similar.

If folk are too lazy to push a button, they really won’t be arsed to faff with a crook lock.

I just get my man to sit in my Mercedes when it’s parked.

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t you still need a free hand to open the door?

Yes. But you don’t have to fumble in your pockets to find your hands.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Means you don’t have to get your keys out your pocket. Which on the few hire cars I have had with it, is surprisingly handy if you have shopping in your hands or just can’t remember which pocket you have your key in.

Variation of this is i can never find the **** key when inneed to lock the car. Multipocketed ppe for the key loosing win.

tpbiker
    Free Member

So once they drive off.. What then?

If it’s anything like my car you can’t just replace the ignition, you need to go to the dealer, provide evidence of ownership, get it specially programmed all at huge cost

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If that is the neighbour’s wheelie bin it i perilously close considering the high winds forecast for tonight

Multipocketed ppe for the key losing win

Carkey trousers dear boy

jam-bo

Broken up and sold for spares?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Can see a time when insurers (rightly) wont want to touch a keyless entry car.

Or nuggets that leave their keys in stupid places get penalised.

It needs looking at by the manufacturers and some form of security protocols employing to stop the use of radio repeaters to send the signal to the car. If it’s not the key then don’t listen to it type thing.

How can you tell which is the key and which is a boosted signal?

If it’s anything like my car you can’t just replace the ignition, you need to go to the dealer, provide evidence of ownership, get it specially programmed all at huge cost

They get driven into a container and lost in the system. No doubt via a crooked dealer abroad or just broken for parts.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Oh well played sir, well played.

Jamie
    Free Member

I am 100% confident they will be able to reprogram a new fob.

somouk
    Free Member

How can you tell which is the key and which is a boosted signal?

By utilising security protocols that check the originator of the signal. In a similar way that SSL does handshakes using certificates etc. Some form of origin authentication protocol that they can use to lock the fob to the car.

This won’t get around the thieves adding new fobs to cars via OBD, that in itself is a completely separate threat vector.

RDL-82
    Free Member

I’m 50/50 on the faraday method etc. If you’ve a car that’s likely to be targeted RS3/4/6, C63, Focus ST/RS etc then there is a very good chance they will do whatever it takes to take and if that means entering the house in the night then so be it. Story on Facebook the other day of another MK2 RS being taken by force after knocking on door.

It’s just a metal box. That’s what insurance is for. And for clarity I’m in the above group of cars just the cheapest one!

Just my opinion anyway. Little shits though aren’t they, people wised up to the OBD method so on to the next trick they move.

Poopscoop

There is always a price to pay for convenience of this sort, just like some online security methods.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I don’t really get this TBH. I can totally understand the part of the attack that we can see (the signal being repeated to the car), however I’m unsure what happens next. The repeater is fine while they are on the drive but what happens when they start driving off? Most cars bitch like hell that the key isn’t in it and eventually stop … surely the key rotates codes so the repeater will only work for a minute or two?

footflaps

Get new keys programmed to the engine management unit by a dodgy garage with some black market SW to over ride Mercedes security protocols. Stick it in a container and ship to Lagos Nigeria and you’ve made £50k for a night’s work….

woody2000

It does seem a bit daft that the car doesn’t do some simple proximity checking. If the fob’s not in the car, then stop!

Poopscoop

footflaps – Member
    Get new keys programmed to the engine management unit by a dodgy garage with some black market SW to over ride Mercedes security protocols. Stick it in a container and ship to Lagos Nigeria and you’ve made £50k for a night’s work….

Don’t tell Brexiteers that.
    It’ll be cited as an increase in exports. 😀

wilburt
    Free Member

I would just avoid living in certain areas and not worry about it. ( or not have a daft car)

Jamie
    Free Member

I would just avoid living in certain areas and not worry about it.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think the thieves may commute to work.

footflaps

It’ll be cited as an increase in exports.

There was a documentary on TV ages ago where they flew a helicopter over Lagos with a Tracker receiver in it – it was going off like the clappers, loads of top end stolen cars on the roads there and no one cared in the slightest.

Poopscoop

footflaps – Member
    It’ll be cited as an increase in exports.
    There was a documentary on TV ages ago where they flew a helicopter over Lagos with a Tracker receiver in it – it was going off like the clappers, loads of top end stolen cars on the roads there and no one cared in the slightest.

Mental!

Nigeria really is the scam/ dodgyness capital of the world!

Poopscoop

Jamie – Member

Don’t quote me on this, but I think the thieves may commute to work.

Best post I’ve read today! Thanks! 😀

wilburt
    Free Member

Nope it happens in specific areas, they rarely travel any distance.
    I wouldnt live in one of those areas but if I had to I would spend my money on moving not buying the sort of car that attracts thieves.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Don't hang your car keys near the front door….’ is closed to new replies.