Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Don't get gifts from Evans…
  • TheFopster
    Free Member

Short version – If people are going to buy you bike related gifts for birthdays or Christmas, I suggest you tell them not to go to Evans.

And here is the longer version for those with time on their hands…

So – it’s the Christmas season and not surprisingly my nearest and dearest got me a selection of cycling related gifts. How very lovely of them.

My 89 year old mother foreswore the usual ill fitting lumpy jumper and got me a very nice Endura jersey. What a nice surprise and a genuinely welcome gift. Turns out she got my brother to help. Only issue – it is a bit big so I need to swap for the next size down. My mum seems to think I always need a large “so the sleeves will be long enough” and my racing snake physique seems of no consequence in these decisions…

My beloved wife was going to the shops anyway so took the aforementioned jersey (brand new with tags) to our local branch of Evans to exchange for a medium. She didn’t have the receipt but we had already swapped a couple of items at other stores in similar circumstances with no issues so anticipated a seasonal smile and a fast turn-around. However, she was told that without “proof of purchase” they would not do an exchange. She was a bit miffed but understood, and so came home again to call my brother.

He could not find the receipt – the inference was that my aged mum had it and lost it (frankly if I am half as on the ball at that age as she is I think I will be doing well, but safe to say things do get forgotten occasionally). However, he sent us a print out from his bank account showing the payment to Evans just before Christmas as proof of purchase.

Today my increasingly irate but still beloved other half returned to Evans armed with proof of purchase (again she was going anyway – it’s not that I’m infirm or stuck to the couch or anything, although I think Indiana Jones may be on this afternoon…). The manager was very polite and apologetic, but STILL they would not exchange it. Their policy is only to accept the original receipt a proof of purchase, as “that statement could be for any other item bought from Evans that happens to exactly the same price and not necessarily for that jersey”. He is trying to get a copy of the receipt from the other store (no issue with the staff – they are doing their best within the Evans rules) but after half an hour in the store Mrs Fopster had to leave as her parking was running out.

So – two visits, 40 mins in the store and still a jersey that doesn’t fit. Legally I am sure they are within their rights, but at this time of year with so many people receiving gifts it seems the most consumer unfriendly way to treat paying customers. If they get a copy of the receipt we can drive the 10 mile round trip for a third visit to finally swap it, but it seems to me there is a better solution.

If people are going to buy you bike related gifts, tell them not to go to Evans.

As a final sign off, my current bike was from them. My next one will not be – regardless of what it is. A loyal customer lost over a not very expensive jersey. Smart business…

warns74
    Free Member

According to their website, the returns policy states “proof of purchase” which to me would not be limited to the receipt. I know for a fact my local evans are happy to take a bank statement printout as proof if the receipt is lost.

“Any item including bikes (but with the exception of food, videos, DVD’s, face masks, RideIt! events and software) can be returned to us for any reason provided it has not been used or fitted and is returned in its original packaging and with a valid proof of purchase.”

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I will say I use Evans and have had great service from them, but to be treated like this for a return is joke. I think you should call Head Office on the main number and complain or have you spoken with another store as they might say something different?

nealglover
    Free Member

Is it not more helpful advice to say…..

If people are going to buy you bike related gifts, tell them not to go to Evans. to keep the receipt

andytherocketeer

company policy and legislation are two different things

I wouldn’t have used them anyway in the first place. Shoddy service and warranty repair/replacement on friends bike. Fixed eventually by saying sod it, binning the bits and fix it yerself with bit from CRC.

tpbiker
    Free Member

thats really poo, especially if the exact same top is sitting in the store only a different size?

For what its worth they happily exchanged a top for me that fell apart after one wash with only bank statement as evidence

Poor show….

rickon
    Free Member

Strangely everything I have bought from them looks like it was secondhand.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Facebook it

bigblackshed

I’ve worked in retail for a number of companies. Some will exchange without hesitation, whilst others “require” receipt or “proof of purchase” and then will only replace, repair or refund if it was faulty.

A carrier bag can be used as proof of purchase legally, although getting the store or manager to except it will be another matter. And for an exchange due to wrong size they can trot out the not faulty line.

Good customer service does not equal statutory rights I’m afraid. Evans can refuse to exchange regardless.

AlasdairMc

Evans lost my custom over a fiver. I’d previously spent a few hundred quid on drivetrain bits among other things, but their initial refusal to exchange some sealant I’d bought (which was on their advice and didn’t work) meant I’ve not been back.

I can’t express how downright rude and patronising the shop assistant was, although it was compounded by the cretin of a manager who refused to speak to me yet was seemingly the one in charge.

I will never shop there again.

poly
    Free Member

I don’t use Evans very often, but do they not ask for your postcode etc at the till – precisely so you don’t need the receipt? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

I’d try a different branch. Or next time you are buying stuff (so spending more £££) try to exchange. Leave without buying if they won’t – they have more incentive if there is a new sale to gain on top.

Of course your gripe should really be with your brother who thinks you are fat!

ebygomm
    Free Member

If i buy something from Evans they email me a copy of the receipt

edward2000
    Free Member

I vow never to go into Evans again either. Their staff, on a number of occasions, have spoken to me like I don’t know anything about bikes. On one occasion I had to really take a deep breath, say thank you and walk out and smash the living day lights out of the nearest wheely bin.

I hope Evans in Trafford read this.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Item with tags on it – including an Evans price tag? That would count as proof of purchase in my book.

To be fair though if it doesn’t have any Evans identification on it then it could be from anywhere, and or it’s got half the tag torn off then it could be from the likes of TK Maxx who sell on seconds and such.

But with bank statement they should really give you the benefit of the doubt. At the very least they could see something was purchased there for that price and you’re just exchanging an item for that value.

Unfortunately some retailers can give their staff a really hard time if they don’t follow store policy exactly and they could just fear loosing their job. A manager however should be able to be customer friendly.

Daft thing is if buy online, you have distance selling regs which gives you a no quibble return in 14 days, whereas in the shop you have statutory rights but they can quibble about it and simply say no – unless it clearly was faulty goods.

Their staff, on a number of occasions, have spoken to me like I don’t know anything about bikes

Sometimes I’ve found it’s their staff who don’t know anything about bikes. Though this is true in many chain stores. Halfords of course being the classic.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The Evans I use ask for postcode and house number when buying something and they can see the order history from that, worth seeing if they have a record from that?

OCB
    Free Member

I’ve used them in the past and they had always been ok, but last month’s purchase / wrong item supplied / struggle to get a refund debacle will make me think very hard about using them again.

Actually, I’m finding this kinda thing more and more commonly online now, so my most recent order for bike stuff has been via my LBS.

BearBack
    Free Member

suprising in ‘this day and age’ that stores even request receipts.
    Over here, Home Depot (Canadas B&Q) only ask for your CC when returning stuff as they have the entire purchase history in their database.
    But yes, like for like swap for same jumper regardless of store policy, doesn’t take the excercise of much managerial descretion that that should be a quick in and out transaction in the interest of good customer service.

bikeneil
    Free Member

BearBack – Member 
    Surprising in ‘this day and age’ that stores even request receipts.Over here, Home Depot (Canadas B&Q) only ask for your CC when returning stuff as they have the entire purchase history in their database.

What do they do if you’ve paid cash?

stur
    Free Member

I wrote to them just before Christmas after visiting three of their shops in the North. All had staff that were completely useless and new fekall about bikes. I asked for a spoke key (mavic fit) and was handed a crank extractor.!!!! I walked out. They obviously use the same idiots guide to recruitment as B&Q.

gazhurst
    Free Member

I might be a little premature with this but I’m having a bit of hassle with an easily replaceable item. I must stress though, that Evans haven’t actually refused to do anything yet.

I have a Stages Power Meter (from Evans) that developed what has been agreed by Stages, a common fault with the battery and the battery cover. This has now rendered the Power Meter unusable until a replacement cover has been obtained. I called the importers Saddleback (on the advice of a few places) who told me that they agree with the fault and that they have the new covers in stock but for me to obtain one, I have to go via Evans who simply have to request a batch of them. I then called Evans and explained the situation to them and added the fact that the bike is currently unusable but they are adamant that I have to go via the warranty claims process which means emailing them photos (or taking into a store) and then waiting for them to make a decision as to whether to replace or do as I asked and request the replacement covers. I then have to wait for them to get the stock in, tell me they’re in and then get one out to me which by my calculations will not be this side of next weekend.

Surely all they have to do is call Saddleback, ask about the fault and then Saddleback will dispatch the new parts?

simmy
    Free Member

I vow never to go into Evans again either. Their staff, on a number of occasions, have spoken to me like I don’t know anything about bikes. On one occasion I had to really take a deep breath, say thank you and walk out and smash the living day lights out of the nearest wheely bin.

I hope Evans in Trafford read this.

A lot of the staff in this store have changed in the last 6 months or so with some going over to the Velodrome and others just leaving. Gotta say I don’t feel as comfortable in there as I used to.

The Velodrome store, I find, is a lot better staffed as is the kendal store.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Evans’ Trafford store is shockingly poor for customer service. Staffed mostly by kids who couldn’t care less, and managed by utter numpties.

KonaTC

Call them 01293 574900; they are open tomorrow 9-5pm, explain what has happened and that you only want to swap a large for medium

I would be very surprised if they say no!

but always happy to be proved wrong 😉

Dickyboy

had a similar issue with my local sainsburys, got sorted with a quick shirty letter & I received extra gift voucher to boot 🙂

captain-slow
    Free Member

Never had a problem with local Evans store in Reading, although have to admit Wiggle are my current favourites for hassle free exchanges. Wife bought me lovely jacket for xmas, but I wanted different colour and I was wearing the new one last night even with british high speed post and bank holidays…

monksie
    Free Member

monksie
    Free Member

I”m pretty sure bank statements etc. are widely if not legally accepted as proof of purchase.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Pretty poor that. Can you ask for a voucher instead of a straight exchange (and then use it to buy a medium top)? I returned some unwanted gifts to Marks and Spencer yesterday and due to the lack of a receipt they gave me vouchers instead of a cash refund but would have been happy to exchange.

duner
    Free Member

Fopster – I work for Evans, email me your contact details and I will sort this out for you. Address in profile.

fatmax

Well done duner, are you the Evans equivalent of Brant? Fair play to you
    I bought a faulty Exposure Maxx-D that I had to take back to the Edinburgh store and was disappointed by the apathetic and unhelpful way I was treated.
    Bring back Mark and Colin and The Bike Chain to Edinburgh, as I’ve had ropey experiences at the Coop and Alpinebikes too 🙁

AlasdairMc

the Edinburgh store

apathetic and unhelpful

Same here. I wonder if it was the same person we spoke to or if it’s a common feature of their staff?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I bought the wrong size inner tube recently. My own fault. Returned within 5 minutes and asked to swap for the right size. Was kept waiting for 15 minutes while a senior person could be found and then told that I wouldhaveto wait around for an hour or so for a mechanic to become free to check the tube over for holes (the box was unopened and you could see the tube was unwrapped). I asked if that was really necessary and was told that you never can tell who might try it on.

I don’t use Evans anymore.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Evans = Starbucks

duner
    Free Member

Thanks Fatmax, I’m not the Evans equivalent of Brant, though we do have one who is a regular contributor on here. I’m just one of the many people who work for Evans that ride bikes and like happy customers!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve never had any issue with Evans but I would take it on the chin if I couldn’t find the receipt and they wouldn’t budge.

I’ve just taken my rollers in for a potential warranty claim, so we’ll see how they do. Last time, they were pretty efficient at sorting the freewheel on my singlespeed.

BearBack
    Free Member

What do they do if you’ve paid cash?

Whats cash? 😉
    Good point..you still get a receipt (or they will do email receipts too) but anything can be returned there without any form of receipt.. only downside is that if its been on sale, you only get refunded the sale price

tinglesrack
    Free Member

Evans get a lot of stick. Some deserved, some not. But if you’re taking something back for exchange or refund to any retailer then at least have the common sense to have the receipt. Shops can provide gift receipts that hides the cost of the item for this very reason.
    Presuming a bank statement has the same qualities as a till receipt is way off the mark.
    You could have saved a lot of drama by using a good old fashioned technique that people seem to have forgotten about. PHONE THE SHOP before making the journey!

ojom
    Free Member

Thanks Fatmax but I don’t think I will ever do the retail thing again. The hours don’t agree with me.
    Plus I am way happier one level back up the chain. Heaps less stress and tons more fun.

Mark

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Item with tags on it – including an Evans price tag? That would count as proof of purchase in my book.

Not really, How do you prove its not stolen. A black and white policy helps enforce this. Unfortunately genuine people will get caught in the crossfire.

Evans also (or used to) ask for postcodes on a lot of sales to keep a track of what customers are buying. Say yes and there is a record of everything. Also comes in handy if you need a refund/warranty.

I unfortunately think you would get a similar response at most (not all) chains.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I work for a similar retailer to Evans. I think we’d ask for pop and would accept a bank statement.

I think shops like this are rule/procedure heavy and it ses like Evans’ procedures need re-thought, and made a little more flexible.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Don't get gifts from Evans…’ is closed to new replies.