Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Don't fly Emirates bikers.
  • Joe

Just got stung $600 for flying with my bike with Emirates from Kabul to London.

Bikes are considered part of your checked luggage, while scuba gear, surfboards, golf clubs and all sorts of other shit get flown for free under sporting baggage allowance.

They kept me hanging on until 30 minutes till the gate was due to close to reach a decision, by which point my car had left the airport and then only charged me for the excess when I landed in Dubai, retrospectively.

What a complete kick in the teeth. Fuming at Dubai airport.

Jamie
    Free Member

Someone will be along shortly to tell you it’s your own fault for not checking in advance.

nikk
    Free Member

It’s your own fault for not checking in advance.

http://www.emirates.com/english/help/FAQDetails.aspx?faqId=214958

“Bicycles

Bicycles will be treated as part of your baggage, and will incur excess baggage charges if necessary.”

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Joe

Its a PSA and it was the treatment more than the policy.

Smug gits like you deserve a quick kick in the nads Nikk. Bizarre that you could be bothered to look that up on Google and post it on here like a sad act.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

flew with them to India via Dubai for a trip with mountainbikekerala.com, Mike the owner (of MTBkerala, not Emirates airline….) recommended them specifically because their hold allowance was larger than other long-haul carriers -32kg IIRC. Perfectly good flight with them and have flown with them since (and the geek in me was thrilled to be on a A380 for one leg home from Bangkok a couple of weeks ago).

The “PSA” was to not use them, not to check their T+Cs, so whilst I can understand why you’d be pee’ed off youre a bit harsh on nikk (who has added value to any PSA element by pointing readers to the T+Cs, so helpful rather than sad?) (and humourous following from Jamies post).

If youre p1ssed off with your treatment at the hands of Emirates, maybe complain to them dont take it out on STW users?

nikk
    Free Member

PSA? You mean PITA?

it was the treatment more than the policy.

What, that you CBA to look up what the conditions / charges were, and just rocked up to check-in expecting all to fall at your feet?

Smug gits like you deserve a quick kick in the nads Nikk. Bizarre that you could be bothered to look that up on Google and post it on here like a sad act.

Took 10 seconds to look up, something you could have done and saved yourself a whole bundle of stress.

And I was trying to be funny rather than smug TBH, but now I am being smug just to annoy you more 😛 Is that ‘sad act’ enough for ya X-)

Joe

Yep. Enjoy your pathetic life.

And you spell it “feet” not “feat”.

TooTall
    Free Member

Just got stung $600 for flying with my bike with Emirates from Kabul to London.

I take it you were not on a charity mission in the country.

Joe

I’m a journalist. I’m not a security contractor. I don’t make much cash at all. There aren’t many warry/security types riding round Kabul on their mountain bikes.

mrmo
    Free Member

I’m a journalist.

So do your research then!

Sorry to hear you got stung, but it is in the t&c’s. When ever i have flown i never assume, even using national express, trains etc. You simply can’t assume something as big and bulky as a bike will even be accepted, and with most? carriers charging extra it makes sense to know. If you read the Easyjet threads, the ground staff aren’t always fully aware so knowing the rules makes your life easier.

PJ266
    Free Member

Silly Joseph! surely that’s the first thing you check if you know you’re travelling with oversize items??

I’m smug because I flew around the world with a 6 foot chunk of fibreglass for free. I also checked the website before going to the airport.

Every days a school day eh?

taxi25
    Free Member

Got to love internet forums, some one has to pay excess baggage on well excess baggage. Then offensively insults someone for pointing out they should have read the TAC. Sad and pathetic maybe, but whom ? 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m a journalist. I’m not a security contractor.

Notebook, pencil, pen, camera. Yes. Bike?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

gotta love internet forums because I currently have an Emirates banner ad at the top of this page!

gavstorie
    Free Member

Assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups..

If you are taking a bike on a plane.. surely it is common sense to look into the technicalities before you arrive at the airport

unknown
    Free Member

Do emirates fly Edinburgh-Geneva?

mooman
    Free Member

and of course, none of us have ever overlooked something as glaringly obvious have we ..

Feel sorry for you mate. $600 aint nice to be stung with.

nikk
    Free Member

you spell it “feet” not “feat”.

Already corrected before you posted that, but well done.

Enjoy your pathetic life.

I think we got off on the wrong feat.

😆

Thanks for the insults though, bet you are really hard IRL, and not at all a frustrated angry little man who canny look up stuff on Google and has to cry about it after the fact, even if it is of their own doing :mrgreen:

Someone call a wahmbulance

chewkw
    Free Member

$600! 😯

You could have bought a new bike or a new iPad or a new iPhone or a new Mini Mac or a new TV etc …

I am flying with Emirates next month but usually I travel light with not more than 20kg all in.

Paying for excess baggage is not cheap for most airlines.

PJ266
    Free Member

and of course, none of us have ever overlooked something as glaringly obvious have we ..

I have, but I didn’t tell anyone else, especially not on here!

pingu66
    Free Member

Journalist.

Cycling in exotic location.

Fly emirates.

Can’t be arsed checking how bikes are charged.

Really can’t find it in me to be sympathetic despite the time of year.

belugabob
    Free Member

frustrated angry little
    man who canny look up stuff on Google

It’s ‘cannae’ not ‘canny’ – need to read more . ‘Oor Wullie’ comic strips ;)..

But the OP still should have done his research.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Do emirates fly Edinburgh-Geneva?

i think so, and they offer a special service where they remove your air shock and sell it on eBay 😀

leffeboy

I’m impressed he is riding around Kabul even if no one else is :). Might be safer than down south buy still not that safe

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Don't fly Emirates bikers.’ is closed to new replies.