Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Don't chuck out that TD-1 Fatten it instead.
  • epicyclo

I have just done a trial fit of a 27.5″ WTB tyre on a Hugo 52mm rim in my TD-1.

Even with the wheel fully forward there is sufficient clearance at the stays, and that’s with a mudguard.

There is a negligible difference in radius – I measured roughly 5mm less than the 2.1″ 29er currently fitted. I suspect that on a slightly narrower rim it would measure a bit narrower and come up to the same height.

BTW I also tried it in my Scandal – it does not fit.

And while on the fattening a TD-1 theme, a Panaracer Fat B Nimble fat tyre is the same diameter and fits most rigid front forks because it doesn’t actually measure the quoted 4″.

This would enable a fat front setup on a TD-1 without upsetting the geometry or having to buy a fat front fork.

Thanks to Martinxyz for the loan of his brandnew wheel. 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

Somewhere a racehorse just shot itself in pity for that TD-1

u02sgb
    Free Member

Be interested if it’d fit in a 456 Carbon (26″). Heard a number of reports 650b wheels fit fine. What’s the width of the tyre?

epicyclo

u02sgb – Member
    Be interested if it’d fit in a 456 Carbon (26″). Heard a number of reports 650b wheels fit fine. What’s the width of the tyre?

72.2mm

GregMay – Member
    Somewhere a racehorse just shot itself in pity for that TD-1

We’re not all lean mean cycling machines like you HT550ers. 🙂

After riding fatbikes I have very little interest in riding nasty jarring skinny bikes anymore, so the TD-1 was heading for my cull pile otherwise. Now it can live on with some light summer use.

bigyinn
    Free Member

That’ll jam up nicely at the first hint of mud!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

More clearance than a krampus

trail_rat
    Free Member

what forks you running that a td-1 is jarring ?

(fellow fatty rider but TD-1 rider more …..)

triple butted p2s and 2.25 racing ralphs and id describe it as forgiving – unlike my race snake merida flx3000 carbon 26er with 26 inch wheels – spesh fast track and 100mm sids….. was out on that this morning forgot how fast but unforgiving it is….

epicyclo

bigyinn – Member
    That’ll jam up nicely at the first hint of mud!

That’s what my fatbike is for. 🙂

trail_rat – Member
    what forks you running that a td-1 is jarring ?…

My age rather than the bike. Don’t think I have much shock absorption left in my joints. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

well i dunno.

i had a similar opinion when i fitted it with pace tubular carbon forks….

it felt jarring.

fitting unicrowns it seems to have a much better ride.

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    …i had a similar opinion when i fitted it with pace tubular carbon forks….

it felt jarring.

fitting unicrowns it seems to have a much better ride.

Thanks, that’s worth knowing. What brand are you using?

nemesis
    Free Member

Stoner measured the same tyre on a Pacenti DL31 rim at 64mm so it’s interesting how much difference the extra rim width makes.

I’m shortly going to see how a SSC DS25 rim with 2.8 trailblazer fits on my Swift (measurements suggest it’ll be ok) though I expect the tyre to size up the same as stoner’s given the rim width is near enough identical.

trail_rat
    Free Member

kona P2 triple butted forks brian

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    kona P2 triple butted forks brian

Mmm, hens teeth for the real thing. 🙂

u02sgb
    Free Member

Thanks epicyclo, numbers noted for later ruminating…

martinxyz
    Free Member

The weird thing is, there’s measurements of this tyre on scraper rims at the same overall width as what you’ve measured there but only the scrapers will enable these tyres to fit into the FF29. 2015 Trance 27.5’s can use it but the chain stays are a bit of a squeeze. Seat stays look pretty good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Don't chuck out that TD-1 Fatten it instead.’ is closed to new replies.