Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • *dons tin foil hat* – Too far?
  • matt_outandabout

In the last fortnight I have had issues with online bank update not allowing me to login and loosing login information, Landlord Deposit Scheme website not allowing my new tenants ‘in’, HMRC Self Assessment twice not submitting properly (just like last year….) and not showing last years submission and Experian website having errors in not allowing me to update information/spitting out someone else’s details on my account….

It worries me that a bank, HMRC, private business and a credit checking company who hold lots of date about me online, are having technical issues, some on a routine basis.

I have just printed off a tax return for this year to fill in manually for the first time in years and years.

Should I retreat to the woods before my digital world implodes and I get a phone call from the ‘HMRC helpdesk team’?

Edit: Paging JHJ. 😉

jekkyl

get a job, we all know self employment is a fiddle to pay less tax!
    yeah course you can claim the cost of the canoe as a business expense. 😉

matt_outandabout

get a job

I do. 🙁

I do know a few folk who have put a canoe as capital expense. 8)
    Most of my (now ageing and dying) outdoor kit was allowable expense. 8)

Sadly, it is hard to justify to HMRC a new bike as a landlord…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

You can claim for a bike as a business expense if you use it to ride to work.

matt_outandabout

The property is 60 miles away.
    My normal work is 6 miles away.
    Cycle2work scheme at my employer/normal work.
    I don’t want to provoke mr_HMRC…

zippykona

John doh my accountant has always said I couldn’t have a bike. He is a school friend of my wife. , is there skullduggery afoot?

perchypanther
    Free Member

my accountant has always said I couldn’t have a bike. He is a school friend of my wife. , is there skullduggery afoot?

It’s so he can hear your car pulling up and this gives him enough time to get half dressed and hide in the wardrobe.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What’s staggering is the amount govt departments spend on IT for systems with such “variable performance”. I recall beginning my career working in software development and how many pretty clueless people where writing software, not really a surpise so much of it doesn’t work properly and its all so much more interconnected and complicated these days.

DrP

I put a bike on my tax.
    But then, I really DO use a bike for work – getting to and from, and for visits, and meetings…

I don’t claim mileage, but again I should do shouldn’t I.

I think it’s about 23ppm on bike…

DrP

slowjo
    Free Member

My accountant said I could claim for a bike, or part thereof, if I could prove I used it for work. The trouble is all my clients visit me and….I work about 15 foot away from the house.

zippykona

I’m self employed and work in my own shop.
    Can I really claim for a bike and mileage to and from home?
    This could be very big news indeed!

maccruiskeen

I’m self employed and work in my own shop.
    Can I really claim for a bike and mileage to and from home?
    This could be very big news indeed!

Not IIRC if its just to get to work. If you’re an employee theres a scheme to encourage people to cycle to work but if you’re a business you can claim if you use a bike for work – i.e. you make deliveries, travel to meetings etc. by bike. Just getting to work (if its your regular place of work such as a shop or office) isn’t a business expense as ‘business’ doesn’t start until you actually get there.

stavromuller
    Free Member

I use bikes as part of my display at trade shows, does that mean I could claim upgrading to newer models as a legitimate business expense?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘*dons tin foil hat* – Too far?’ is closed to new replies.