Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Done something daft (again). Problem?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

After having a little bit of chain suck and other marks on my 456 I thought I’d do my old trick and use some inner tube to make chainstay protection. Without painting over the marks. Yesterday I thought I’d take the inner strip off to replace it and discovered some bits of rust that wouldn’t look out of place on an archeological dig. Panic ensued.

After calming down I took stock. I sanded off the rust and polished the living daylights out of the bare metal with autosol. It was then pretty much perfectly smooth, but with dark discoloured spots. Not pitted as such, more tarnished.

So anyway, I have removed the rust and painted over the bare metal with two coats of car touch up paint. I think this is probably going to be fine, but is anyone out there able to offer some reassurance?

My initial reaction when I saw it was “shit, I could probably poke a hole in that with my fingernail”. However, after cleaning it up, I am fairly convinced it was mostly superficial. I reckon the tubes are thicker walled around the bb welds as well(?)

And yes, I am a pillock for contriving to keep water in contact with bare steel on my prized frame.

shermer75
    Free Member

My understanding is that one of the reasons chromoly is used is that rust doesn’t penetrate in the same way as it does with other steels.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. Those frames are tough as old boots.

nickdavies

Fine. You ever seen one of the raw lacquered steel on ones? They look like an Iron Age relic after a British winter but they’d probably survive the apocalypse!

timba
    Free Member

Don’t overdo the sanding, some of these tubes are less than 1mm thick. Just sayin’ 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Don’t overdo the sanding, some of these tubes are less than 1mm thick. Just sayin’

I agree, but I only used sandpaper and my fingertips, so I don’t think I will have taken off much pure metal!

deviant
    Free Member

Mine was a raw lacquered one, it had some surface rust and looked all the better for it….the idea is to keep forks, wheels, drivetrain, cockpit etc mint but let the frame go to crap…..it’s part of the appeal!

scotroutes

Are you wrapping the inner tube round the stay like bar tape or just zip-tieing some on? The former method should prevent water getting underneath.

dannyh
    Free Member

but let the frame go to crap

My homemade chainstay protection did more than that – it managed to keep the rusty bit in permanent contact with water!

Anyhow – I agree in a way – even though I have painted over it, the colour does not match by a long chalk, so it looks crap in its own Dali-esque way.

At least if I ever get it nicked I will be able to give a detailed catalogue of distinguishing marks(!)

dannyh
    Free Member

Are you wrapping the inner tube round the stay like bar tape or just zip-tieing some on? The former method should prevent water getting underneath.

Wrapping with ziptie at either end. I should probably have sealed the ends with some tape. And treated the bare spots before putting it on (obviously).

Now I have put a shaped strip of inner tube on the top of the stay with double-sided tape – should be a more sensible solution, I hope.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Done something daft (again). Problem?’ is closed to new replies.