Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Doncaster to Holmfirth Route Help
  • mikeyuk
    Free Member

I’m wondering if any locals out there know a good route from Doncaster to Holmfirth for a road bike. I’m not local but will be in the area on Sunday and fancy a ride out. Any tips or roads to take would be nice.

Chew
    Free Member

Try Strava Route Planner

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’m not a roadie but the A635 from cawthorne / Barnsley upper cumberworth, newmill to holmfirth is a popular route and nice road, way back depending on mileage go up over Holme moss to woodhead turn left back to the flouch a628 to penistone and then cut down back towards Doncaster

Or from holmfirth upto hade edge dunford bridge and down to midhopestones, stocksbridge, , but that’s a busy road

mintimperial

Don’t go over Woodhead, it’s **** horrible, should be a motorway really. Massive trucks and impatient reps and boy racers. 😯

I tend to stick to the back roads at all costs round here but then I’m a coward, too many near misses for my liking. Don’t know about the Doncaster side of things, but the Transpennine Trail is pretty nice in general, quiet lanes mostly, and the bit between Penistone and Dunford Bridge is properly surfaced repurposed railway line, completely traffic free and lovely. From Dunford Bridge you can follow NCN 68 down quiet roads into the middle of Holmfirth.

antigee

hopefully a Doncaster based rider can give a definitive route – used to live north side of Shefffield and would use Trans Pennine Trail to get to Doncaster and beyond but it probably isn’t the best route – bit gloomy, road wise I’d link the minor roads through Wath / Elsecar / Worsborough / Hood Green / Silkstone

this is one of my old routes and the section from Thurlstone to Holmfirth includes the Jackson Bridge climb which is a tick in Simon Warren’s 100 Greatest Climbs , if you are that way inclined, anyway the road out of Thurlstone has fantastic views

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1329448

the loop back after Holme Moss on this route is on the Trans Pennine Bridlway and is CX stylee
    main road wise I’d avoid the A628 and A616
    A629 and A635 (west of M1) are both OK

edit link corrected I hope

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Doncaster to Holmfirth Route Help’ is closed to new replies.