• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Donating blood
  • oldnpastit

Due to sheer incompetence, I’ve got an appointment to donate blood on Friday, and an entry for the Thetford Winter Series on Sunday (4 hour).

I’m not expecting to be anywhere near the podium, but does anyone have any tips to avoid feeling totally dreadful and bailing out after twenty minutes?

Nothing involving gels though – I’m bored of their sickly-sweet slimyness and their vomitous effect on me.

jamiep
    Free Member

Postpone the appointment for a week?

jam-bo

Last time I gave blood I played squash an hour later.

I lost but I don’t think that related.

boxfish
    Free Member

I would definitely postpone the donation.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Your body will recover well before the race.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

You will be fine

toby1

I believe that it should take in average 24 hours for you yo regenerate that pint. So hydrate well, have a steak Friday night and some spinach plus loads of fluids and just take it easy on Sunday. I you start to feel lightheaded, stop.

Please note, this comes from someone with no medical background 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Postpone. The last time I gave blood (3months ago) it was bad (very bad bruising developed/blackened veins leading out)- I rode the next day and was washed out and went OTB. Over the course of a week the bruising etc came up.

I wouldn’t. Previously I’ve ridden the same day (BEFORE) giving blood and have been fine. Listen to what the health professionals tell you- not us though. They are the ones who are best placed.

franksinatra

Have a quiet work with the blood people, chuck them same cash and get a few ‘spare’ pints put back in .

That should see you on the podium!

djc1245
    Free Member

I usually give blood then go for a ride straight after with a couple of pints on the way home. I reckon you should be fine by Sunday

TiRed

Gave blood on a Thursday, road raced on the Saturday. I was dropped after 20 miles. The 10% reduction in Hb was evident in my 10% drop in performance. Drink plenty of fluids, you won’t be replacing your Hb before the race. Take some iron for faster recovery (but not that fast).

You’ll be fine. And it’s always a good excuse for not finishing on the podium.

Ben_H

Please give blood – that’s a call to everyone to help save and improve lives.

About 4% of the eligible population do so, but most of us would take it when in need.

You might find the following useful:

http://www.blood.co.uk/about-blood/how-the-body-replaces-blood/

You’ll also note that you can now book an appointment online through the website in real-time.

hora
    Free Member

My blood is highly prized too AB- CMV- 8)

Flaperon

You’ll get the fluid back within 24 hours, but your aerobic power will be down about 10-15%. So as long as you don’t try to ride at your normal speed, you’ll be fine.

What I would advise is taking an iron supplement pronto, which is never discussed at the time of donation. I passed their tests but suffered terribly with restless leg syndrome following donations, to the point of deciding to stop donating.

Googled it as a last ditch thing and turns out it’s pretty common, and taking the supplement around the donation solved the problem. Apparently more pronounced in fitter people, which is good, I suppose.

pondo

I think you’ll be fine, just rest, eat and drink loads. Might not be your best performance, but you’ll be there or thereabouts. And really, the giving blood bit IS more important. 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

It depends on each person. I personally have no trouble giving blood (every 6months or is it 4?), and playing squash/football/cycling/running not long after. However, that isnt competitive.
    After 2 days I would hope that my body had recovered though? Drink lots of fluid as has been suggested.

This suggests plasma levels back to normal between 24-48hrs.
    But is also suggests that competitive athletes will be down on performance for about a few weeks

recovery after blood donation is fairly fast. Eichner writes: “In my anecdotal experience, maximal performance can return to normal within 1 to 2 weeks, and surely returns to normal after 3 to 4 weeks.”

So IMO you’ll be ok, but dont expect to do as well as usual. Therefore you can take it easy and have an excuse 🙂

oldnpastit

Thanks, good suggestions there, especially the iron supplements, beer and steak!

I’m not going to postpone the appointment.

hora
    Free Member

Is this your first donation? Well done sir. I wish more people could/would. I tried for platelet donation but mine isn’t high enough. If you could ask about that (its the same process) but really needed.

CheesybeanZ

Sounds like a good excuse to eat liver and spinach with dark chocolate for afters .

hora
    Free Member

Marmite help?

pondo

I tried for platelet donation but mine isn’t high enough. If you could ask about that (its the same process) but really needed.

That’s a really good thing to do, if you can – platelets don’t keep, so they really need donors. You can give much more frequently (I think every 15 days is the absolute minimum between donations, but they normally hope for you to give once a month), and it takes longer (say, 90 minutes or so from start to finish – they hook you up to a machine that takes some blood, centrifuges it so they can scoop the platelets out, then returns the blood to you 🙂 ). I like it – not everywhere does it, I have to go into Birmingham City Centre, but it’s just an hour’s downtime with a good book for me, all in a good cause. 🙂

turboferret

A friend of mine was saying that after the initial drop in performance from the loss of blood, the body over-compensated before returning to normal. I can’t remember what the cycle-time was that he quoted, but he would always plan to give blood a certain time before an Ironman.

He may of course have been spouting utter rubbish!

Cheers, Rich

hora
    Free Member

Aye Pondo. Heres a link:

Why are platelet donors needed?

Most platelet donations are given to patients who are unable to make enough platelets in their bone marrow. For example, patients with leukaemia or other cancers may have too few platelets as the result of their disease or treatment. Also after major surgery or extensive injury,

I think its more important than giving blood (if you can)

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I try to give platelets semi regularly, still don’t like the feeling of your blood being returned to your body cold!!!
    And the hour it takes seems to drag forever . But you do get a better range of tea and biscuits and a better bed

hora
    Free Member

Hijack- ChrisDiesel- how much are 4×14″ Citroen wheel covers to buy from you guys?

oldnpastit

They did ask me to consider giving platelets after my last session, so I might ask about that.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I passed their tests but suffered terribly with restless leg syndrome following donations, to the point of deciding to stop donating.

Well I never. Same happens to me. The last time I donated, the lady suggested a pint of Guinness. Despite a couple, I still felt flat on the bike about 40 hours later. You’ll be fine if you are happy just to sit in and play it by ear – and dont beat yourself up if you are dropped pronto.

hora
    Free Member

I received a text this morning reminding me of my apt today saying please attend/urgent. Apparently they send that if stocks of your blood type are really low.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Donating blood’ is closed to new replies.