• This topic has 23,116 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by thols2.
Viewing 40 posts - 13,561 through 13,600 (of 23,117 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

not really it’s just like a cat and a lazer pointer

kerley
    Free Member

You lot still falling for labrat’s trolling?

Go careful with him he is the only consistent troll left now that THM, Jambalaya and chewk have gone quiet

PJM1974
    Free Member

@ninfan,

You mean the type of fascist regime where government agencies spy on the political opposition, spread malicious lies about them and leak classified documents in an attempt to undermine a democratically elected president?

I’m attempting to be objective and polite here by remaining on topic and engaging with you, even though our world views may or may not align.

Are you concerned about the way that Trump’s America First narrative may well be perceived as the opening volley of a trade war and potentially could destabilise the diplomatic status quo?

Do you not agree that Trump and the GOP seem to be flirting with the far right to a point that would cause alarm for a great many?

ninfan
    Free Member

Are you concerned about the way that Trump’s America First narrative may well be perceived as the opening volley of a trade war and potentially could destabilise the diplomatic status quo?

Ah, ‘may well be perceived’ – would you accept that it could equally be perceived in other ways as well? As for the diplomatic status-quo – look where its got us?  Its funny, we spend years going on about offshoring and the threat go multinational corporations (genocide of the starving nations) acting as a form of supranational world government, but the moment someone actually does something that might actually change things, we recoil in horror because all the vested interests and political leaders who constitute the very same establishment that gave powers to the corporations start whining and tell us that the end is nigh?

Remember that neither the Republican Party or the Democrats wanted Trump – thats your biggest clue as to whats really going on here

If you took a longer view of the success of the capitalist model requiring periodic bouts of destructive creation then Trump is about the best thing you could hope for to secure longer term success – that it is the stagnation and ossification of power within the corporate system, fully supported by the established governments, that offered the greatest threat to the system as it continually fought to suppress any real attempt at disruptive innovation.

Do you not agree that Trump and the GOP seem to be flirting with the far right to a point that would cause alarm for a great many?

Dunno, Can a party/leader be held responsible for the nutters who try and jump on the bandwagon? How concerned are you about anti-semitism in the Labour Party under Corbyn, do you think thats the party has suddenly attracted lots of Jew haters, or that it was already full of jew haters who now feel emboldened to speak out? or does it just prove there a tiny minority of people who hold those views who will always be attracted towards any collection of loons, fruits and nutters where they think they can get their foot in the door or chance their way towards getting a respectable soapbox – a bit like how the loony left attracted all sorts of dangerous causes like the animal rights extremists and the paedophile information exchange in the seventies and eighties.

Pigface
    Free Member

Can a party leader be responsible? Of course they can and Trumps inciting his supporters to beat and physically remove people who protested at his rally’s is an example.

His refusal to condemn right wing wing supporters violence is again tantamount to approval.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep he has gone out of his way to apologise for them, welcome them and stoke hatred and division, he has cultivated it to suit his ends.

The signals he sends when he Pardons this bloke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

Arpaio styled himself as “America’s Toughest Sheriff”.[2][3] Starting in 2005, he took an outspoken stance against illegal immigration. In 2010, he became a flashpoint for opposition to Arizona’s SB1070 anti-illegal immigrant law, which was largely struck down by the Supreme Court of the United States.[4][5][6][7] Arpaio is also known for investigating former U.S. President Barack Obama’s birth certificate, and, as of 2018, he continued to claim without evidence that it was forged.[8][9]

Arpaio has been accused of various types of police misconduct, including abuse of power, misuse of funds, failure to investigate sex crimes, improper clearance of cases, unlawful enforcement of immigration laws, and election law violations. A Federal court monitor was appointed to oversee his office’s operations because of complaints of racial profiling. The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Arpaio oversaw the worst pattern of racial profiling in U.S. history, and subsequently filed suit against him for unlawful discriminatory police conduct.[10][11][12][13] Arpaio’s office paid more than $146 million in fees, settlements, and court awards

Then endorsing Lovable Rogue Roy Moore.

I am concerned by genuine anti antisemitism (which is not criticism of Israel) from any source, much as the highlighting of Islamophobia among the tory party needs to be addressed.

Its funny, we spend years going on about offshoring and the threat go multinational corporations (genocide of the starving nations) acting as a form of supranational world government, but the moment someone actually does something that might actually change things, we recoil in horror because all the vested interests and political leaders who constitute the very same establishment that gave powers to the corporations start whining and tell us that the end is nigh?

Well if he was doing something fundamental that might improve things then maybe people would be a bit more receptive.

The “Watch it all burn to build it back up approach” as you think is happening will destroy a lot of lives on the way down when we already have the chances to improve things as we are.

His environmental policies are enough to cause prolonged suffering to huge numbers of the population of the US let alone other parts of the world. So doing that and cutting healthcare provisions seems like a fairly shitty thing to do.

Interesting times really for the Summit, as I said previously why is Kim bothering with the US they are now trying to stand alone without the rest of the G7.

ninfan
    Free Member

The signals he sends

Go on, are they in morse code or are they smoke signals, like what the injuns used to do?

Well if he was doing something fundamental that might improve things then maybe people would be a bit more receptive.

Like the lowest black unemployment rates on record?

akira

Morse code, ah ninfan you’re funny. Imagining Trump could use morse code when he can barely master basic English. Trump is dreadful as building walls but at burning bridges he’s a master, it’s going to be a long way down for him when he stops being useful.

thejesmonddingo

Ah ninny,nice to see a random collection of ad hominems from you,again.

thejesmonddingo

Any more interesting misquotes,truth fudging,and paranoid imaginings ?

CountZero

Canadians – half French, so see above.

Well, that’s Francophone Québécois covered, what about all the other English-speaking Canadians then?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well, that’s Francophone Québécois covered, what about all the other English-speaking Canadians then?

I think we can cover them all with a general xenophobia

rmacattack
    Free Member

There will be some foaming at the mouth of the naysayers this morning.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There will be some foaming at the mouth of the naysayers this morning

Why? How many steps nuclear disarmament have been taken so far?

American and North Korean officials worked to hammer out a joint statement the two leaders might make at the close of their talks. But it was unclear that they could do more than reach a broad, general agreement on tough questions like nuclear disarmament.

Mr. Trump told other Asian leaders he was confident about the prospects for the meeting, but the two sides may have fundamentally different understandings of some crucial issues, like “denuclearization” of the peninsula.

To American officials, that has meant Pyongyang giving up its atomic weapons program, but North Korea has suggested that it would also mean a reduction or even elimination of American arms in the region. The vast scope of North Korea’s atomic program means ending it would be the most challenging case of nuclear disarmament in history.

Live Updates: Trump and Kim Jong-un Hold Meetings in Singapore https://nyti.ms/2HD63EH

Until we see agreement I’d put that at advantage NK, well played.

matt_outandabout

Awkward manshake there this morning…

Klunk
    Free Member

There will be some foaming at the mouth of the naysayers this morning.

yeah really disappointed kim didn’t blow a white powder off his hand into trumps face, not much of a bond villain

akira

”The names Trump, Mr Trump, no wait Mr Donald, am I Kim?’

Yeah he wouldn’t be a good Bond.

anagallis_arvensis

Looks like they have agreed nothing new doesnt it?

kimbers

Kim’s face when Trump made the joke about the photographer making them look thin 😐

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Priceless

deadkenny
    Free Member

So a successful summit, for Trump and Kim. Trump looks forward to election success and maybe even a peace prize. Kim has boosted his statesman image. Actual change, that’s down the road, deal with it later etc, is what I’m hearing from Trump.

Shitty president, historic event. Like Nixon, China. Main beneficiary was China, who is now a pain in the backside to US trade.

Pigface
    Free Member

Fair play to Trump he managed it, now go tackle the difficult issues like the Middle East

Klunk
    Free Member

it was a ruse, Kim is trumps new handler and he was passing on Putins latest instructions. so says my mi6 contact

mikewsmith
    Free Member

<p id=”story-continues-6″ class=”story-body-text story-content” data-para-count=”210″ data-total-count=”2155″>In the joint statement, Mr. Trump “committed to provide security guarantees” to North Korea. Mr. Kim “reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”</p>
    <p class=”story-body-text story-content” data-para-count=”232″ data-total-count=”2387″>But the statement was short on details and did not lay out potential next steps or a timetable. The joint statement was not immediately released to reporters, but it was legible in a photo of Mr. Trump holding it up at the ceremony.</p>
    <p class=”story-body-text story-content” data-para-count=”237″ data-total-count=”2624″>The statement said the two nations would hold “follow-on negotiations” led by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a high-level North Korean official “at the earliest possible date, to implement the outcomes” of the summit meeting.</p>
    <p class=”story-body-text story-content” data-para-count=”263″ data-total-count=”2887″>The statement also said the two nations would “join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime” on the divided Korean Peninsula, meaning talks to reduce military tensions that could eventually lead to a formal peace treaty to end the Korean War.</p>

<p data-para-count=”263″ data-total-count=”2887″>https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/11/world/asia/trump-kim-live-updates.html?smid=tw-share</p&gt;
    <p data-para-count=”263″ data-total-count=”2887″>Lots of nice detail there 😉 The other part from some colleagues was the number of Chinese companies very keen on setting up over the border to keep labour costs low.</p>
    <p data-para-count=”263″ data-total-count=”2887″>Iran must be either kicking themselves for not getting to a bomb or trying very hard to catch up as it’s a proven path to getting the US to the table.</p>

MSP

So Trump concedes to Kim for nothing more than vague promises of future behaviour. LOL what a **** joke, Kim has played him like a trumpet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Kim has played him like a trumpet.

I think that might have been the other way around in the private session

ninfan
    Free Member

Trump concedes to Kim for nothing more than vague promises of future behaviour

What has Trump conceded?

tomhoward

Letting NK off the naughty step and giving them a seat at the grown ups table?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What has Trump conceded?

I’d have started with his dignity but….

NK has a pathway to keep it’s nuclear ability for quite a few more years and to open itself up for trade and lift sanctions.

we can start with

• <b>On military exercises with South Korea: </b>”We will be stopping the war games which will save us a tremendous amount of money… Plus I think it is very provocative.”

Followed by Hook, line and sinker

• <b>On why he thinks experts are wrong about denuclearisation taking 15 years:</b>”I think whoever wrote that is wrong… There will be a point at which when you are 20 percent through you can’t go back. I had an uncle who was a great professor for, I believe, 40 years at MIT. And I used to discuss nuclear with him all the time. He was a great expert. He was a great brilliant genius.”
    whitestone
    Free Member

I’d have started with his dignity but….

He didn’t have any to begin with 🙂

Generally this was good timing for Kim: he’s got a demonstrable (or nearly so) nuclear ICBM capability allied with a US president who is overly keen to “leave a legacy”/ “cement his place in history” or however you wish to describe Trump’s ego.

binners

Can we get on to the truly pressing issue of the day. Has anyone seen the propaganda film that Trump had produced for his little fat friend?

It is absolutely dementedly unhinged

Seriously…. WTF?!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh my, that is quite special…. no wonder they didn’t have time to discuss any details

Pigface
    Free Member

Dear God please tell me that is a joke

binners

Thats what I thought when they played the sound on Five Live this morning, but its for real

International diplomacy through the medium of some shite disaster movie trailer

colp

Blimey!

It was like a bad remake of “lose yourself” by Eminem.

Klunk
    Free Member

LOL you’d think the voice over would be in Korean if it were meant for Kim, i’m sure he was “touched”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and Hello to Jason

nickc

What has Trump conceded?

Well, he’s agreed to unspecified security guarantees for the North Koreans in exchange for some deliberately vague non promises about denuclearisation at some unspecified point in the future.  so, apparently now the US is protecting one of the most murderous totalitarian regimes and has agreed to reduce it’s presence alongside their own allies on the peninsula.

I can imagine the howls from the Republicans had Obama negotiated such a “deal”.

nickc

Oh, and remember as late as June 1st; this from Trump:

As he has been hinting over the past week, the President acknowledged on Friday that Singapore will be only “a beginning” after decades of hostility. “This is a process,” he explained. “We’re not going to sign something on June 12th.

Image result for north korea signature summit

ninfan
    Free Member

“If my critics saw me walking over the river Thames they would only say it was because I couldn’t swim”

Viewing 40 posts - 13,561 through 13,600 (of 23,117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.