• This topic has 23,116 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 3 hours ago by thols2.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 23,117 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • DrJ

and the chances of this thread becoming the biggest one ever are?

Straw man.

Oh, sorry – I thought that the new thing is to say “straw man” after every other post, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

samunkim
    Free Member

Apart from anything else why would the USA want to steal neighbour’s territory? They’re trying to keep Mexicans out not take it over. Canada? Would Canada welcome invasion the way Austria did?

America were preparing to invade Canada just before WWII

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Apart from anything else why would the USA want to steal neighbour’s territory?

Especially as they have already taken the best bits of Mexico, like California and Texas.

El-bent
    Free Member

Especially as they have already taken the best bits of Mexico, like California and Texas.

Considering the occupants of Texas, I’m sure the Mexicans wouldn’t want it back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Mexicans will pay for the wall for example via higher tariffs (NAFTA renegotiation) or a tax on money transfers from US to Mexico (eg Western Union). Trump will find a way.

But who is going to pay for it now? Exec orders are easy but where is the funding?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Loving the naivety of building a wall to stop (illegal) immigration and drug runners.
    My prediction is that both will find another way and nothing will change.

cchris2lou

and instead of fighting drug wars , Mexico will let it happen .

kelvin

America were preparing to invade Canada just before WWII

War Plan Orange Red.

The Canada plans were just part of the plans for the USA to go to war with Britain.

[ EDIT: wiki says that Orange was the code for the USA/Japan war plans – my mistake ]

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s hard to know, isn’t it! Could a person really be that dumb?

Jamba – have your wife translate for you!

Why would I even bother to ask ?

Trump has stopped the transfer of the $220m to Palestinians which Obama/Kerry had released despite it being voted down by Congress.

@mike very cheap to borrow the $14bn if required and the taxes I mentioned will pay it off. I think he’ll raise the taxes faster than the construction costs, 5% tax on sending money back to Mexico via Western Union type companies. Known to be about $24bn a year (most of it earnt by illegal immigrants and untaxed). That’s $1.2bn a year. Then there is the NAFTA re-write and new tariffs etc

km79
    Free Member

Loving the naivety of building a wall to stop (illegal) immigration and drug runners.
    My prediction is that both will find another way and nothing will change.

They have been using quite sophisticated tunnels for a number of years now to smuggle both people and drugs. I wonder how deep underground the wall/fence/hedge will extend.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up with some sort of barrier tape.

cchris2lou

do you really believe he is going to build that wall ?

not going to be that simple , land owners not happy , Rio Grande moving all the time .

if Mexicans need to pay tax on western union , they will use something else , gangs will love the new business sending money and bringing back drugs .

even his new security adviser said it was a bad idea .

chewkw
    Free Member

km79 – Member
    They have been using quite sophisticated tunnels for a number of years now to smuggle both people and drugs. I wonder how deep underground the wall/fence/hedge will extend.

What’s new?

Take your pick.

Fly over using ultralight etc.

Dig deep underground like a mole.

Swim like a fish.

Use false documents to cross the check points.

Buy your way in i.e. bribe your way in.

🙄

slowoldman

Amazon Drones?

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    Amazon Drones?

Yes, that’s flying over so that’s been done.

Parachuting I think might work but I think not many will trust their chute …

CountZero

km79 – Member

What’s new?

Take your pick.

Swim like a fish.

Well, they drove high powered sports cars through tunnels in Fast and Furious something or other; proof of concept established, I’m sure with application it’ll be up and running in eighteen months.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What’s new?

Take your pick.

Swim like a fish.

🙄
    Completely agree with you, chewkw, the wall is nothing but bull and bluster on the part of the Doughnut. I’m surprised that you’ve seen the failure that wall building is though. You’re normally quite blind in your support of the Doughnut.

slowoldman

Parachuting I think might work

Which means flying over, that’s been done.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

…bollocks. Nazi anti-Semitism was excessive from day 1. It’s all in Mein Kampf.

Actually, in reality, many Germans didn’t really understand what Hitler would do to the Jews when they voted him in and were massively ignorant in terms of how much the man actually hated them. The evolution of the holocaust, is generally regarded to have been incremental – with the final solution only being devised after other plans such as relocation failed. Had the idea of the Final Solution been discussed widely, outside of a few passages in Mein Kampf then I think many more in Germany would have found Hitler unpalatable.

GrahamS

I wonder how deep underground the wall/fence/hedge will extend.

Hard to know because, as usual, Trump said lots of different things at different times.

The BBC quoted the estimate given by a New York-based structural engineer based on a 1900 mile concrete wall, 20 feet above ground and five feet under it.

So completely impassable to anyone that doesn’t own a ladder or a spade. 🙂

monde
    Free Member

chewkw
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member

Completely agree with you, chewkw, the wall is nothing but bull and bluster on the part of the Doughnut. I’m surprised that you’ve seen the failure that wall building is though. You’re normally quite blind in your support of the Doughnut.

Actually it is not a failure. It will stop the activities for a while until someone think of a new way of crossing. The way I see it the main purpose of the wall is to frustrate and to disrupt the illegal border crossing process. Also the security of patrolling the border means there will be more jobs create for the security employment. Probably Mexico paying for that as well via indirect tax … 😛

Nothing is totally proof but slowing down the process and to buy time is the only way. Therefore, make it as hard as possible then put another layer of security on top … you have the will, you have the way.

slowoldman – Member
    Which means flying over, that’s been done.

Yes, been done so not sure how to fly over. Catapult? Someone might break their legs so that’s not good.

I doubt they can fly over considering some of the A10 might be around …

tjagain

Trump also said he was going to deport all illegal immigrants – which is impossible given the numbers of them.

chewkw
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    Trump also said he was going to deport all illegal immigrants – which is impossible given the numbers of them.

Of course it is possible. President Trump might not be able to deport all of them in one go but certainly many will have to go. It’s better than not doing anything about it.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Probably more impossible due to their economic influence, deporting all will slowly and significantly damage a part of the economy.

chewkw
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member
    Probably more impossible to their economic influence, deporting all will slowly and significantly damage a part of the economy.

No damage at all. If they want cheap labour they can always have a govt to govt talk about legally having seasonal workers. Just like North Korean supplying labour to some part of the world.

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshkO8HqQ10[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

To be fair Trump gave a figure of between 2 million to 3 million, which is what Obama managed – 2.5million to be a bit more precise.

OK Obama deported more foreigners from the United States than other US President in history but I doubt that it’s impossible for Trump to match Obama’s unprecedented and impressive figure. And all the more so as Obama has left behind a very effective deportation machine – the Priority Enforcement Program.

Trump has much to thank Obama for when it comes to deporting foreigners.

tjagain

thats about 1% of the illegals tho isn’t it?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I doubt it, unless practically all the people living in the US are illegal immigrants.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ernie I think Obama was a bit economical with the truth as he included Mexicans denied entry at the border as “deported”. Obama kept doing the rolling series of pardons as he felt the issue was just too difficult to deal with and frankly wanted to ignore it. Complicated problem as I think if a woman enters the us illegally but has child there they are an American citizen ? I think there are about 2 million people in the US illegally who have been convicted of a crime yet not deported. Certainly a didficult and longstanding problem.

A wall / fence will make a very big difference to the numbers able to come in and more agressive deportation will send many the other way.

GrahamS

Actually it is not a failure. It will stop the activities for a while until someone think of a new way of crossing.

Seems a pretty expensive way of achieving that brief slowdown. Trump put the cost of the wall at between $10 and $12 billion (Washington Post reckoned estimated more like $25 billion).

For reference the existing 650 miles of fences cost more than $7 billion.

I suppose it’s inward investment though and will support some construction jobs for quite a while.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I doubt it, unless practically all the people living in the US are illegal immigrants.

Now that’s a different argument altogether.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

😆

Northwind

Stolen from reddit but it made me lol…

Donald Trump steps out onto the White House lawn in the dead of winter. Right in front of him, on the White House lawn, he sees “Donald Trump Sucks” written in urine across the snow.

Well, he’s pretty ticked off. He storms into his security staff’s HQ, and yells “Somebody wrote an insult in the snow on the front damn lawn! And they wrote it in urine! Whoever did it had to be standing right on the porch when he did it! Where were you guys?!” The security guys stay silent and stare ashamedly at the floor.

Trump hollers “Well dammit, don’t just sit there! Get out and find out who did it! I want an answer, and I want it tonight!”

The entire staff immediately jump up and race for the exits.

Later that evening, his chief security officer approaches him and says: “Well Mr. President, we have some bad news and we have some really bad news. Which do you want first?”

Trump says “Give me the bad news first.”

The officer says “Well, we took a sample of the urine and tested it. The results just came back, and it was Mike Pence’s urine.”

Trump says “Oh my god, I feel so… so… betrayed! My own vice president! Damn. …Well, what’s the really bad news?”

The officer replies “Well, it’s Melania’s handwriting.”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A wall / fence will make a very big difference to the numbers able to come in and more agressive deportation will send many the other way.

Do you know the main methods of entry?

The better options though included jed bush’s plan which was providing a path to citizenship for the long term ones including kids who were born there. Given the US was born from immigration they have got all precious about it.

stewartc
    Free Member

Would this wall stop the flow of weapons from the US to Mexico, which fuels the violent inter-gang warfare there, this could actually be a good thing?

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Would this wall stop the flow of weapons from the US to Mexico, which fuels the violent inter-gang warfare there, this could actually be a good thing?

I read/watched somewhere the suggestion that Mexico may as well legalize class A drugs.It could/would reduce much of their domestic drug related issues and push the responsibility squarely onto the shoulders of the US.
    That’d be an interesting **** you from Pena Nieto to Trump

DrJ

“Jamba – have your wife translate for you!”

Why would I even bother to ask ?

Oh, I dunno – to share the joke, instead of just being the joke?

maxtorque

The issue is that a “physical” wall isn’t actually very useful. As proven in Berlin many years ago now, you need a wall PLUS armed guards with machine guns with an uninterrupted line of sight, which means thousands of guards and guards posts.

nickhit3
    Free Member

The issue is that a “physical” wall isn’t actually very useful. As proven in Berlin many years ago now, you need a wall PLUS armed guards with machine guns with an uninterrupted line of sight, which means thousands of guards and guards posts.

This. It’s almost cartoonish in its naievity. I am looking forward to seeing how “beautiful” it looks though, that is of course key to its success. Hope Tommy Walsh is available, would be quite a comeback episode for Ground Force. I bet they thought they couldn’t top Mandela. Ratings winner, in the chasm left by GBBO? Good luck Ant & Dec in 2020, you’re f*cked. I’m on it fellas, don’t worry.

*emails BBC imediately

Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 23,117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.