Viewing 40 posts - 4,241 through 4,280 (of 23,080 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

outofbreath – Member
    “So all of the thousands males who are televised and pictured at protests of one kind or another in many different places all over the world over the years, where the object is to simply express opposition to one notion or another, what exactly is the “trait” that is peculiar to them?”

Well yeah, protesting is often a bit vague and pointless IMHO.

It’s just especially amusing in this case AFAIC.

I thought your point was that protest is a “peculiar female trait”, which (leaving aside your astonishingly patronising attitude to those enraged by such a vile and dangerous attitude as President Nincompoop’s) is manifestly ludicrous, as I have evidenced for you.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Then your opinion is profoundly uninformed and unintelligent. Protesting of one sort or another has been the vehicle of immense change from the Suffragettes to the Vietnam War to the Jarrow March, to Kristalnacht. That much is self evident. Denying the facts makes you look like a bit of a fool tbh

SPOT ON!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Democracy is about voting not marching AFTER the event. In many demographic categories more women voted for Trump than Hilary. The only woman who really matters this week is Theresa May who will make a visit to Washington on Friday.

Trump and the ‘Sons of Jacob’

Nipper curious as to why you have used that Biblical reference. Could you please explain, have you seen it somewhere and are just repeating it ? I ask as I cannot believe you would deliberately make a derogatory reference to the ethnic and religious makeup of the Trump team.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Democracy is about voting not marching AFTER the event

What if you don’t like the result?

How then are you supposed to register ones disapproval?

Just suck it up?

No, the right to peaceful protest is as important as the right to vote.

As has already been said – many important changes in society have been brought about by peaceful protest.

Let them march!

metalheart
    Free Member

Nipper curious as to why you have used that Biblical reference.

Where as it took me, oh, 30 seconds to find out the answer. It’s almost like you’re not prepared to find out anything for yourself (whilst failing to respond to similar requests). Isn’t it ironic..

maccruiskeen

Democracy is about voting not marching AFTER the event

So you’re saying that people only have democratic rights for two or three minutes once every 4 years while they put a tick in a box and in between times they’re to shut up and take what they’re given. Theres no consultation, no lobby, no feedback, no assessment of impact, no evaluation. Leaders just lead in a nice cosy silent bubble, knowing they’ve been mandated by one x in a box

I love your world Jambie – its so easy to live in. Room for any more?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

And there was me thinking that Democracy was about the freedom to voice your opinion. The idea that any leadership should be given a free hand without ongoing opposition is a ludicrous suggestion. Quite Fascistic, in fact.

BoardinBob

Behind Trump’s victory: Divisions by race, gender, education

Women supported Clinton over Trump by 54% to 42%. This is about the same as the Democratic advantage among women in 2012 (55% Obama vs. 44% Romney) and 2008 (56% Obama vs. 43% McCain).

kimbers

In many demographic categories more women voted for Trump than Hilary

if you wanna talk numbers there’d be that issue of the popular vote 😉

These marches have been very effective, Trump spent his address to build bridges withe CIA ranting about the media coverage of it all
    his first press conference blathered on about noting else

This has obviously got under his orange skin, the more time he spends obsessing over how small his crowds/hands/support is the less he can focus on wrecking the country

It also means that republicans who a year ago wouldnt be seen anywhere near him for fears of toxifying their party are reminded of his record low approval ratings.
    When the first impeachment vote comes along maybe theyll slap it down, the second, then the third?

Did anyone see Maybot on Marr? I believe she was questioned on womens issues & trump , as she travels to america she too is aware that many people here are nervous about getting into bed with this man she is desperate to strike a deal with.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Quite Fascistic

Freedom of speech?

Not in Jambas world it seems.

You’ll get given a couple of choices every couple of years & that’ll be your lot!

DrJ

Did anyone see Maybot on Marr?

I saw it desperately trying to avoid answering Marr’s question about the failed Trident test.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the more time he spends obsessing over how small his crowds/hands/support is the less he can focus on wrecking the country

Very funny

Whats weird is the wy he went to he CIa , who he tweeted and compared to Nazis and then blamed the media for inventing a feud when he loved them and backed them 1000%

His media spokesman then said the numbers were the highest ever PERIOD as if pictures done exist to massively negate that view

It seems we are about to enter a twilight zone where what he says and reality dont much mix

It will be interesting to see how the Republicans deal with him tbh as they cannot ever know where they really stand with him as he flip flops about having only three principles
    1.Self aggrandizement whatever the facts say
    2. Lie lie and lie some more
    3. Picks fights with everyone but never ever criticise Russia or pick a fight with them,

akira

Jam, democracy literally translates as power to the people, mass protests would seem to come under this umbrella.

maccruiskeen

These marches have been very effective, Trump spent his address to build bridges withe CIA ranting about the media coverage of it all
    his first press conference blathered on about noting else

He shouldn’t let it get under his skin. Today’s news (fake or otherwise) is just tomorrows chip wrappers. Soon we’ll all forget about the protests. I mean nobody remembers the protesters dwarfing Obama’s inauguration crowds 8 short years ago. I’m sure I’ve still got my placard somewhere. “Stop being so bloody polite!” I think it said.

maccruiskeen

His media spokesman then said the numbers were the highest ever PERIOD as if pictures done exist to massively negate that view

The pictures totally support his statement- zoom in on those swathes of white and you’ll see its not empty space. Its jam packed with people in white cloaks and hoods.

kimbers

Its jam packed with people in white cloaks and hoods

😈

ninfan
    Free Member

Jam, democracy literally translates as power to the people, mass protests would seem to come under this umbrella.

Context however remains relevant

There was an election, he won. Far more people voted for him than were protesting against him.

Remember how upset all the lefties got when The Donald suggested he might not unquestioningly accept the election results? “Horrified” they were “disrespecting the constitution” he was, as “slap in the face for democracy” they called it.

The political left are once again hoist on their own petard of hypocrisy – it was them who were outraged at the Idea of anyone not accepting the result, and their behaviour in the light of losing is therefore, rightly, measured by their own statements in the run up to the election.

ransos
    Free Member

There was an election, he won. Far more people voted for him than were protesting against him.

And far more people voted for Clinton than for Trump.

mikey74
    Free Member

its jam packed with people in white cloaks and hoods

😆

I hope you don’t mind but Ive borrowed that one for Facebook.

ninfan
    Free Member

Dems da rules.

Didn’t like them, should have said so beforehand. No use crying about if afterwards.

ransos
    Free Member

Dems da rules.

Didn’t like them, should have said so beforehand. No use crying about if afterwards.

I didn’t suggest that they weren’t the rules. I am suggesting a reason why so many people wish to protest against a president who lost the popular vote.

akira

Yeah like when Nixon was elected, all the protests did no good at all….

DrJ

Comparing apples and bananas – how many people voted against him? How many people demonstrated for him?

Remember how upset all the lefties got when The Donald suggested he might not unquestioningly accept the election results? “Horrified” they were “disrespecting the constitution” he was, as “slap in the face for democracy” they called it.

The political left are once again hoist on their own petard of hypocrisy – it was them who were outraged at the Idea of anyone not accepting the result, and their behaviour in the light of losing is therefore, rightly, measured by their own statements in the run up to the election.

Umm – no – again comparing apples and something that is not even a fruit. There is a difference between expessing disgust at something that happened, and pretending that it didn’t happen at all.

Of course you knew all this, and you’re just trolling as usual, but maybe other readers are as confused as you make out to be.

slowoldman

No, the right to peaceful protest is as important as the right to vote.

Until the politicians take away that right.

Yeah like when Nixon was elected, all the protests did no good at all….

…and in the case of Trump, it’s a good idea to start early.

kimbers

.and in the case of Trump, it’s a good idea to start early

Indeed as mentioned before much easier to impeach an unpopular president

And very easy to manipulate a narcissist, just ask Putin 😉

mrlebowski
    Free Member

FFS what a load of 8ollox!

There’s a world of difference between
    1. Not accepting the result of a democratic vote.
    2. Accepting the result but choosing to register your dislike of said result.

One respects the process, the other sticks 2 fingers up at it!

ninfan
    Free Member

2. Accepting the result but choosing to register your dislike of said result.

Ah, ‘peaceful protest’ you mean?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

That looks like the work of Trump supporters trying to sully the name of peaceful protest. A shocking strategy.

kelvin

Anyone who thinks democracy begins and ends in the ballot box is an enemy of democracy. Free speech is as much a right of those on the losing side of a particular vote as those on the winning side. What is valid protest, and what is illegal civil disruption, is always up for debate, but to say people shouldn’t protest at all because a vote has been counted… reminds me why dictators have regular public votes to try and delegitimise any opposition voices.

Anyway, we all know that in the USA there is the added complication that the way the president is appointed isn’t actually democratic, making it even more important for the people to voice their concerns even after the electoral collage has done its job.

kimbers

That was an unattended can of trump’s hair laquer left in a hot window 😉

Let’s face it yesterday’s protests were remarkable for their peaceful pissing, I believe the car on fire was from inauguration day?

Day 1 and he’s already stirred up this much resentment, hilariously his entirely predictable response has been to keep on ranting and whining as though he still campaigning and had no idea how you actually govern….

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Without a link to a verifiable source that’s just a picture of a car burning..

As your teacher must have said to you:

“Could do better…”

richwales

The car on fire was a set up by trump supporters.

ninfan
    Free Member

You have to question why anti-Trump protesters are taking the credit for destroying it then 😆

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/protesters-who-destroyed-property-on-inauguration-day-part-of-well-organized-group/2017/01/21/096678c8-dfeb-11e6-ad42-f3375f271c9c_story.html?tid=sm_tw_pl&utm_term=.70687869dc2c&wprss=rss_crime

(I hope you appreciate the, famously right wing and pro-Trump, Washington Post as a verifiable source BTW 😉 )

colournoise

Missing the point. If we’re told it was Trump supporters often enough, then that must be the truth right?

thebees
    Free Member

A protest march with no direct aim, i.e gaining the vote or suchlike, boils down to loads of people effectively just shouting ” I don’t like him one little bit ! ” with loads of other like minded people. High on the list of reasons to take part in this sort of behaviour would be the opportunity for a bit of class A virtue signalling via a photo on Facebook.

akira

Ninfan, don’t like that so it’s fake news. I believe that’s how this game is played.

Junkyard
    Free Member

or perhaps they just want to make sure that something like this never happens again

Still if you cannot negate their message[ nor apparently understand why they are protesting] use a puerile click bait insult to belittle them….that seems to be the moral of that post.

ninfan
    Free Member

use a puerile click bait insult to belittle them

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks democracy begins and ends in the ballot box is an enemy of democracy. Free speech is as much a right of those on the losing side of a particular vote as those on the winning side. What is valid protest, and what is illegal civil disruption, is always up for debate

Well said.
    +1.

DrJ

Oh look – ninfan posting a hilarious picture instead of engaging in meaningful discussion. What a novelty.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,241 through 4,280 (of 23,080 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.