Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Domains, Private Registration (of WHOIS info)
  • spooky_b329

I run a forum that currently has a domain with GoDaddy, and I pay a couple of quid a month for their private registration service (Domains by Proxy) which means my WHOIS .com page just shows GoDaddy as the owner of the domain, rather than my home address being splashed about for all to see.

My domain is about to renew, just wondering if there are other providers that offer an equivalent service? Only looking to change from GoDaddy as the website is confusing and constantly trying to upgrade me to various extra’s.

flip
    Free Member

I just opt out, doesn’t cost anything.

cheez0
    Free Member

yes, should be free.

try 1and1 for web hosting, been with them for years.

they do the usual offers and stuff, but not hard sell.

linky

spooky_b329

Sorry, not fully up to speed with this as I did the setup two years ago.

So with 1and1, if I transferred my domain, they will stick their details on the WHOIS page, rather than mine? Where does it say this on their site?

At the moment it looks like:

Registrant:
    Domains By Proxy, LLC

Registered through: Go Daddy
    Domain Name: IVECOFORUMS.COM

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS67.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    NS68.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Whereas if you do a WHOIS of say singletrackworld.com, the home address of the registrant is shown.

cheez0
    Free Member

is the domain yours?

if so, the registration is yours.

heres one of mine (note, no address)..

Whois Information For: w4nker.co.uk

Domain name:
    w4nker.co.uk

Registrant:
    Andy Dicks

Registrant type:
    UK Individual

Registrant’s address:
    The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
    address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Registrar:
    1 & 1 Internet AG [Tag = SCHLUND]
    URL: http://www.1and1.co.uk or http://registrar.1und1.info

spooky_b329

Thanks Cheez, yes its mine, although as its registered by GoDaddy it appears I may need to get their permission to transfer it… i.e I’m more of a tenant, they are the landlord/owner?!

Just having my name on there is probably OK, just didn’t want my address 🙂

cheez0
    Free Member

if i remember correctly, you will have to physically opt out though, as ‘opting in’ is the default.

don’t forget, if godaddy try the old ‘it’ll cost you ££££s to get the domain transfered into your name’ tell them to swivel and get another for coupla quid per year.

i let a couple of domains that i didnt use lapse and had emails telling me i could buy them back for £300, LOL.. after a while they go back into the pot for ‘normal’ prices

atlaz
    Free Member

.uk domains are free for “whois privacy” or whatever that registrar calls it. But only for private individuals, businesses have to have their details on the whois. Godaddy can;t stop you transferring away and then you just need to go somewhere with the same service. In the UK 123-reg does it for sure (I used to work for the parent company) and they have UK based support etc if you need a hand.

donsimon
    Free Member

1and 1 will probably put their details. They appeared on WHOIS when I had my page hosted with them.

clubber
    Free Member

my team’s website is on 1and1. a whois shows my name but no other details.

purpleyeti
    Free Member

just to stop confusion it’s free to opt out of whois for .co.uk as nominet allows it. for .com address you have to pay for whois masking.

Cougar

Don’t GoDaddy do something sneaky where they actually own the name rather than the person who registers it? I’ve never used them, but I’ve not heard many good things about them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Domains, Private Registration (of WHOIS info)’ is closed to new replies.