Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dolomites – Where to stay
  • jlc
    Free Member

Quite interested in a holiday in the Dolomites next year. Idea would be to take the road bikes and do a fair bit of road cycling from a base somewhere. Any recommendations for a place which ideally has a few other things to do when not cycling. Have spent a couple of holidays near Annecy but looking for a change.
    Looking for an apartment or camping.
    Any alternative areas in Europe you would recommend instead. Have previous done Slovenia, Austria and Swiss alps. Thanks

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’be been skiing at Selva before. That is a very nice resort, though, although it is Italian it has a very Austrian feel to it as it used to be Austrian, so not good if you want a typically Italian feel. With it being one of the bigger and more popular ski destinations for the Dolomites there is an excellent lift system to get you up and out into the surrounding mountains, and they had walking and biking maps up next to the ski maps, so it seems to be quite big in the summer/off ski season.

To be honest it is a beautiful area with plenty of little villages and towns dotted around it. You probably can’t go far wrong anywhere.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve stayed in both San Cassiano and Corvara during June for road cycling – Maratona dles Dolomites…
    San Cassiano is quieter, rather upmarket, but very pleasant, Corvara has quite a lot going on in it, and a reasonable amount of choice of things to do.
    Ride the Sella Ronda, amongst others – but make sure that you take waterproofs and leg and arm warmers – if you get caught in a thunderstorm at the top of the Sella, you will see the temperature drop by 20C in 15 minutes, and then the ride out is extremely unpleasant. Also choose a weekend that isn’t the Maratona as you won’t get accommodation that weekend.
    Alternatively, stay in/ near Bormio there’s plenty of riding there including the Stelvio etc, or even head over into the Veneto and stay near Connegliano or Valdobiadenne – Prosecco and decent cycling!

jate
    Free Member

We rode there this year and stayed half way up the Pordoi above Canazei. I’d climbed from there previously and reckoned on it having the ideal combination of access to most of the best climbs as well as being easy to get to in the first place. There are good places further into the Dolomites (e.g. Corvara & Cortina) but they are that bit more of a pain to get to and from in the first place.
    It’s also well placed for walking, via ferrata and climbing plus if you want to do stuff outside of the Dolomites for a day it’s not a ridiculous drive to the Autostrada.
    Email in profile if you want more info/recommended routes etc.
    Oh and we saw Nibali descending the Passo San Pellegrino like a nutter (he was training for the TdF).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Corvara. Not stayed anywhere else so this might not mean much but it was nice enough when we did the Maratona, and right in the middle of some classic climbs – Pordoi, Giao, et al.

slowoldman

Like wobbliscott I’ve skied in Selva. It’s a lovely area. Camping isn’t huge in the winter but I did spot a site full of camper vans just outside Colfosco.

ElShalimo

the campsite at Colfosco is very good. I’ve stayed there several times.
    The facilities are very good and it has a small shop/cafe/bar on site. It’s only a 15-20 mins walk into Corvara for food, beers etc

Val Gardena is good with several towns to stay in. Cortina is nice but the campsites are 2-3km from town

muzzle
    Free Member

Canazei is great – nice sized town with plenty of bars and restaurants. I was there in September and there were loads of road cyclists around.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

winter skiing and hotel experience only

Campitello – bit small
    Arabba – the same – though great for skiing
    Selva or Corvara are nice as is Canazei – and I’m off there again in March.

aP
    Free Member

Corvara or Colfosco would be ideal as you can do the Sella Ronda, or head to the Falzarego, Giau or the Marmolada quite easily by bike, which wouldn’t be quite so easily possible from somewhere like Canazei. Although there is a good wine shop in Canazei!

jlc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help so far – keep the ideas coming. Have been looking at Corvara but it seems as though there isn’t much there unless I have missed it and it sounds as though the season only really starts on the 18th June and we would be there from 6th June. Is Canazei a little bigger and more to do? Guess we are wanting to cycle every other day but need tings to do in between times.

professor_fate
    Free Member

If you decide on Cortina I can recommend Camping Olympia which is about 4 miles north of Cortina. It’s really good value for an Italian campsite (both times I’ve stayed there they rounded the price down

bowglie

Wife & I have been to Dolomites for summer trips about 7 or 8 times now (hiking, climbing & mtb biking) – safe to say we like it over there;) I’d say, Selva would be your best bet, followed by Canazei. Selva is a bit more touristy, but there’s plenty to do when not biking, and your only just up the road from Ortesei, which is quite a nice town with a decent swimming pool. Can definately recommend the Sella Ronda (especially the Gravity/Enduro mountain bike variant).

p.s. If you’ve got a reasonable head for heights, Via Ferrata is worth a go – as is the hike down from the saddle of the Sasso Lungo mountain (up in ‘the coffin lift’:))

jlc
    Free Member

Thanks all for the help – very much appreciated as never been to that area. Is there much difference between Selva and Canazei? Both look a lot bigger than Corvara and lots of restaurants and bars. Any reason to choose one from another?

jate
    Free Member

As Bowglie says, Selva (and indeed the whole of Val Gardena) has got lots to do although it can get a bit plagued by tourist buses. Plus you are closer to the autostrada.
    Canazei is a bit more flexible for cycling as you are at the foot of the Pordoi, Sella & Fedaia plus Moena is a short drive away (allows a circuit of San Pellegrino, Valles and Rolle, particularly recommended by the little used unmade road).
    And yes the Sasso Lungo hike is excellent.

jlc
    Free Member

So think I’ve narrowed it down to Selva or Canzei. Looks as though Selva maybe a bit bigger but Canazei looks slightly better for road biking. Is Selva a lot bigger? Any issues going at the start of June to either? Is there much difference between the two?

bowglie

Apologies for delay replying. I’ve passed through and done some shopping trips to the climbing shop in Canazei, but never stayed in the village. I think Selva maybe has more shops, and it’s got a decent supermarket if you’re self catering, but if road biking is your thing, Canazei is possibly better, as the main road through Selva can get fairly busy with cars, buses, camper vans etc.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dolomites – Where to stay’ is closed to new replies.