Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dollywagon Vs Cavedale
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Apart from the obvious duration differences, how do these two descents compare?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Who’s brapped both on a steel rigid or unicycle?

Stainypants

How hard is cavedale ? Is it deceptive i walked up it and push a bike up it and it didn’t seem that it would be that hard. Is it the surface that makes it so difficult ?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The top rocky section is tricky but short the mid to lower easier again short (not worth the effort in IMO), the wet limestone is like well wet limestone slippy.

I managed a two wheel slide out, school boy error style on the easy bit after the rocks when pissing about with my dropper post one handed at speed not taking it seriously duhhhh, shame no video what a charlie 😆

colournoise

Not ridden Dollywagon, but Cavedale is (IMHO) harder than Jacob’s Ladder descent and The Beast. It’s short but steep and the surface is pretty loose limestone so like ice if it’s wet.

Closest I can compare from what I’ve ridden is that the tricky section of Cavedale is a steeper, shorter, slippier version of Potato Alley.

[video]http://vimeo.com/132101499[/video]

(caveat – this was after 60km of Peak riding – my legs and brain were f***ked by this point and I’d never ridden Cavedale before)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dollywaggon requires you to be on all the way cavedale has some brain breathing bits

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ colournoise – Yeah the top bit is definitely harder than the beast (put my foot down many times) didn’t seem as long though, the mid section similar difficulty, where the limestone had running water it was very slippy (don’t think any tyre would make a difference), not ridden Jacobs, is on the list!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ mikewsmith – ok so a real workout then.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Dollywagon is technically harder, I’ve ridden Cave Dale on my old rigid pugsley.

Pook

See I’d go the other way and say cavedale is harder. Once you’ve worked out how to plonk down step after massive step, Dollywaggon is just a boring clunk.

Cavedale is far more subtle a challenge. Shorter though

Pook

See I’d go the other way and say cavedale is harder. Once you’ve worked out how to plonk down step after massive step, Dollywaggon is just a boring clunk.

Cavedale is far more subtle a challenge. Shorter though

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Where is Dollywagon? Fancy a go!

Cave Dale is definitely tougher than Jacob’s and The Beast – it’s doable in one though but the bike just dances all over the place on the pointy Limestone.

jekkyl

gorillainthepeak are you just having a day looking for old trail threads, resurrecting them and spamming the forum with your guiding tour wesbite? desist forthwith, this is the 6th one now, pay for some proper advertising.

D0NK

the surface is pretty loose limestone so like ice if it’s wet

when is it ever bloody dry? I’ve only been afew times but there always seems to be a stream of water going down the top section.

Dolly wagon is harder, I’ve cleaned cavedale I’m a long way from cleaning dollywaggon, a couple of proper hardcore* corners and wheel catcher drainage ditches straight after tricky step sections.

*I’d say unrideable but pretty sure a few have ridden the whole thing.

grum
    Free Member

Lake District > Peak District – views, quality of trails, technicality of trails, pubs, etc etc

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thread resucted by spamming guys… Reported unless you want the whole debate again

scuttler

First time around for me. Were the spammers selling Range Rover Evoques? (Dollywagon).

DW is loads harder because it’s longer and solid pitched and water-barred path which means you can’t clatter through and hang on – an off will hurt. Unlike CD though it can dry out and the bonus ball once you’ve fried your nerves / lost your bottle on the top section is the glorious lower section but I’d suggest you do have to be a very good rider to ‘enjoy’ the top section (i.e. ride it with any rhythm or flow on a trail bike).

Sure they’re both technically challenging but if you know anything about climbing grades one’s a Stanage VS 4b and the other’s a multi-pitch Welsh E1 5b.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dollywagon Vs Cavedale’ is closed to new replies.