Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Doing well in life
  • wors

How would you define “doing well in life”?

Money?
    Job?
    Time?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Happiness
    Friends
    Children
    Spare time and what you do in it

Those are important for me at least, won’t suit everyone

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Do you enjoy it? If yes then you are doing well in life.

Life should never be about work or money.

lodious
    Free Member

The number of guitars you own?

Mackem

Not dying.

Rorschach
    Free Member

How much your ‘peers’ envy you?

andyl
    Free Member

not waking up worrying about bills

having spare time you can relax in and spend doing what you want

personal life good

being happy

McHamish
    Free Member

I used to think having lots of money would be a nice thing…but I think the lucky people are those who have discovered what they were supposed to do.

Top musicians, chefs, artists, composers…etc. etc.

They all are doing what they are supposed to do.

Who thinks they are doing what they were supposed to do?

clubber
    Free Member

Being happy and not directly making others unhappy in order to pay for your happiness.

(I think that caveats it)

TheBrick
    Free Member

wors – Member

Money?
    Job?
    Time?

I fail on those three.

andyl – Member
    not waking up worrying about bills

having spare time you can relax in and spend doing what you want

personal life good

being happy

and these four.

Getting rather pissed of about it to be honest. This thread is depressing.

McHamish
    Free Member

In my final year at school in 92′, we did a questionnaire on a computer which would then recommend an ideal career path. Then we would get a conversation with the careers advisor who gave us the results.

Apparently I should have been a bin man or a shoe repair man.

18 years later and I’m a senior project manager at a tier 1 investment bank…my current responsibilities don’t include refuse collection or shoe repair.

I think poor careers advice is why a lot of people end up unhappy in life…has careers advice improved in the last 18 years?

5thElefant
    Free Member

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

druidh
    Free Member

I think a lot of people are unhappy because they think they need a career and not a job. Mibbe I was lucky, but I just got a job after school then worked hard at getting better at it until another job came along, which I worked hard at, etc, etc. The only time I remember thinking about a “career” was when I turned down the chance of promotion because I had started to think that there was more to life than money and work.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Spare time is the main one as in not working yourself into the ground. Time rich and money poor.

I work with lads who think their lives revolve around work.

Work
    sleep
    work
    sleep
    go away to Turkey for a fortnight
    work
    sleep
    and repeat.

Not for me.

Time to spend with the daughter.
    Time to spend with Girlfriend.
    Time to spend on the bike.

At the moment I am ticking all three.

I am in a job that doesn’t pay a lot but I kind of enjoy doing so it’s not all bad.

anagallis_arvensis

In my final year at school in 92′, we did a questionnaire on a computer which would then recommend an ideal career path. Then we would get a conversation with the careers advisor who gave us the results

I did that, for me it said Forest Ranger or Librarian, I have no idea to this day how two such different options could be come up with for the same person.

Stuey01
    Free Member

In my final year at school in 92′, we did a questionnaire on a computer which would then recommend an ideal career path. Then we would get a conversation with the careers advisor who gave us the results.

18 years later and I’m a senior project manager at a tier 1 investment bank…my current responsibilities don’t include refuse collection or shoe repair.

I think poor careers advice is why a lot of people end up unhappy in life…has careers advice improved in the last 18 years?

Poor school careers advice doesn’t seem to have affected you. I don’t know anyone who does what their careers advisor said they should. In fact I don’t even remember what I was told, it was such an insignificant event in my life.

I wonder if anyone has ever been told by a careers advisor that they should be a careers advisor?

kaesae
    Free Member

Servicing bikes, building bikes, riding bikes, breaking bikes 😀

I love what I do in terms of my life, it’s hard because of my health, but thanks to my bearing kits I get spare time, which I use to fix other peoples bikes and help out quite a few riders. Who don’t have a lot of money.

Lots of bikes to work on and my friends are all great characters.

I wouldn’t say my life is perfect and there are things I would like to have, but it could be so much worse and I consider it to be a simple but good life!

If anyone lives in the Edinburgh/lothians area and doeasn’t have a lot of money, I would be happy to lend a hand with keeping you mobile.

😀

crazy-legs

I think bin man came up for everyone, it certainly did for me and I remember the various discussions in the 6th Form Common Room afterwards about what a load of rubbish (pun intended) the whole thing was. I think mine actually suggested something science-y which is what I did for a while.

gecko76

Where you’re living.
    What you’re doing.
    Who you’re with.

2 out of 3 should be considered a win.

Currently I get all 3 😀

Wasn’t always the case though.

poppa
    Free Member

I think if I earnt less than £35k I would consider myself a failure.

EDIT: reference to an old thread!

Torminalis
    Free Member

Do what? You can earn £35k as a teacher and they are all failures. £60k minimum or you might as well give up.

binners

You either is or you isn’t. Done both. The first is way way betterer

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah if you’re under 25. 6 figures or you’re a nobody.

tonyd

I’m sat on a dull conference call in a job I no longer enjoy, I’ve found lately that the negative effects of this have an impact on other aspects of my life. There’s nothing worse than getting up in the morning and having to raise the enthusiasm to leave the house when I’d rather stay home and play with my kids!

On a brighter note I’m actively working on fixing the job issue, once that is done everything should be rosy again. The most important things to me are my family and friends, but a job you don’t enjoy takes the shine off of other things.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Winding folk up online.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What if you earn less than 25k.? Is that a complete disaster.?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I tend to agree, I think £35K is the “magical” figure or the “cut off point” so to speak.

Reach the £35k mark and life becomes much more pleasurable. I’ve found I now spend Sundays taking my much loved TVR out for a spin on the country lanes, rather than sitting at home watching Hollyoaks omnibus like most of the sub £35kers do. Hell, I can even afford to get the suspension on it tuned and serviced aswell, for £4k a pop!

I cant see how you could be classed as “doing well” if your on less than the big 35

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at the teacher-bashing, teh last respite of the desparate and insecure – let me guess – “if you can do, do, if you can’t teach?”

What a great education system you would give us 🙄

epicyclo

Freedom and something to look forward to.

Torminalis
    Free Member

What if you earn less than 25k.? Is that a complete disaster.?

You can get more than that on benefits. For that money I would have to be working as Natalie Portmans underpants to make it worthwhile.

druidh
    Free Member

In that case, I used to be doing well, but now I’m a failure.

mintimperial

18 years later and I’m a senior project manager at a tier 1 investment bank.

Hmm. Wonder if everyone else working in the banking sector got similar career advice? Might go some way towards explaining the current global economic situation…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I cant see how you could be classed as “doing well” if your on less than the big 35

One of my managers who has got to be on that sort of money and then some has had a couple of failed marriages, kids he doesn’t see and works pretty much 24 hours a day. The bloke never switches off.

Is that doing well.?

gecko76

I remember that thread.

And I’m a teacher 😆

Torminalis
    Free Member

the desparate and insecure

I am loving the irony of someone who can’t spell telling me what a great education I could provide. 😉

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Try the app, mappiness. S’posed to try and measure the environment your in when your happy or sad. Not tried it but recommended by friends as interesting to see the results.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If you need an App to map your happiness… you are critically sad.

FuzzyWuzzy

Having a billion quid and being healthy enough (physically and mentally) to enjoy it would be my definition, I fall a long way short. Yes I’m shallow :p

clubber
    Free Member

Since it was £35k 6 months(?) ago, surely we should inflate that now – say by 4% (1/2 year at 8%rpi) so that’s around £36.5k – Ha, instantly more losers! 😉

psling
    Free Member

Doing well in life is when you understand and appreciate that you won’t always do well in life. If you can get the balance right so that there are more positives than negatives in your head then you’re doing OK 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Doing well in life’ is closed to new replies.