Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • Doing the South Downs Way tomorrow – tips?
  • njee20
    Free Member

Been on my ‘to do’ list for ages, I’ve run out of excuses, so I’m doing it tomorrow. Going east. There’s a nice westerly to push me along. I’ve got the route on my Garmin, including all taps as waypoints, the locations are also taped to my top tube as a reminder, along with a lot of gels.

Despite living about 15 miles away I really don’t know the route, I’ve done bits, but only bits. Any particular tips? Things to watch out for etc. I’m assuming it’s dry and fast… I’ve fitted more robust tyres than my usual Rocket Rons or Thunder Burts.

nedrapier

I’d take the others off and put the Thunder Burts back on! 😀

Keep eating. You know that. Don’t forget to stop in Alfriston for pastry goods at the deli. Guzzle as much as you can at the taps before you refill and you’ll probably be OK with one bottle. And get to the next tap with most of a bottle left, if you’re like me!

Look at the scenery.

Got a target time in mind?

VanHalen

keep pedalling. dont start too fast. enjoy it.

keep an eye out for direction arrows. some are not obvious when you are knackered etc.

njee20
    Free Member

Got a target time in mind?

10 hours is the bottom line aim (with stops etc), I’d be over the moon with 9, but I’ve not ridden for that long for 6 years, so firmly uncharted territory!

I’ve put some Bontrager XR1s on, which should still be pretty quick. If I had Snakeskin Burts I’d use those.

keep an eye out for direction arrows. some are not obvious when you are knackered etc.

Great, thanks. Hoping the GPS will minimise that, but navigating and riding is a rarity for me!

m1kea
    Free Member

My SDWiaD ride last year was pants so here’s my write up from the year before; – http://www.egcc.net/south-downs-way-in-a-day/

I wear a Camelbak Mule for the water and take a 500ml on the bike (just in case).

Defo recommend some savoury food for variety as I find you can only eat so many gels and energy bars.

Enjoy and I’ll stalk you on Strava

njee20
    Free Member

Haha! Dammit, I’d better not fail now Mike!

Was gonna make a couple of small sandwiches for variety!

cakefest
    Free Member

Aaah, best of luck, Nick. Hope it goes well and you enjoy the journey. Will look forward to hearing the story, and seeing you tired, at Mayhem this weekend. Ashley

nedrapier

Ace. Have fun. A couple more:

Take some time before-hand to make sure that you’ve got a GPS route that’s 100% spot on.

Make sure you’ve got enough charge in your battery to last 10+ hours – or a spare battery to charge from (eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Generation-Lipstick-Sized-Portable-Technology-Black/dp/B005QI1A8C )

Make sure you’ve got the off-course chirrup turned on – as above, couple of turnings are easy to miss.

Don’t be put off by the fact that the finger-post colour-code for the SDW keeps changing.

You’ll obviously want average speed biggest on your screen. Elevation’s handy too, for morale management – if you know you’re only at 170m, it won’t be a surprise to find out that there’s more climbing round that corner/over that brow.

Second/3rd the sarnies. cheese, sweetcorn and a slathering of mayo works for me. plus bread, obvs.

m1kea
    Free Member

😀

A man of your calibre will be fine. 8)

There’s a few variations on the routes, in particular starting with the Beacon Hill – Old Winchester hill section. On my Strava route above I took the ‘new’ route.

Back in 2009 I did the old route – https://www.strava.com/activities/13331324 – Shows how popular Strava now is when I went from 6th on one climb to 115th!

richardthird

Don’t miss the sharp right turn on Blackcap, just after Ditchling Beacon.

You have to stop for a gate anyway, but it’s easy to go through the gate and straight on (towards Lewes) which is wrong.

Finish is now at foot of Beachy Head. Mini pork pies ftw

njee20
    Free Member

Great, thanks everyone!

GPX route is from a friend who did it last year, so should be pretty accurate. I’ve got it with turn by turn too, so hopefully much chirruping and what not should happen. Got an external battery, so all good on that front, should last the distance, I hope!

Planning to go for the map as the default screen, just with average speed and distance on it, I’m not entirely sure I want to look at elevation, particularly knowing the biggest hills come at the end!

Will look forward to hearing the story, and seeing you tired, at Mayhem this weekend

Annoyingly I can’t make it this year Ashley, looks like it’ll be another scorcher though, gutted!

sam_underhill

njee20 – Jacqui (my mrs) rode it last weekend with her girlfriend. Between them they only got lost once with a paper map and a basic garmin 200 with a half arsed route loaded. Don’t forget to look up at the signs and you’ll be fine. 🙂
    I’m not being sexist, just that Jacqui and her friend are notorious chatter boxes on the bike and would easily ride straight past turning that they ride every week!
    I’d go with tough tyre walls and a fast rolling tread for dry weather. Keep pedalling.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done it 16 times since Dec14 and whilst a lot of my training was during the Winter it still ran fast, no need for big rubber. Did it all oon the CX’er, put Limus on during the wet season and then back to Griffo’s for Spring.

I’d second drinking loads then top the bottle/camelbak (what ever you are using) when you can. Eating is such a personal thing, me I’m a Tuna Mayo Pitta fanbouy and works for me.

Don’t be lulled into thinking the segment from Winny to QECP is typical, it gets bumpyer from then on. Watch out for roots and large half hidden boulders for pinchflats. Gravel sections are slow so pace down for them. Best bit ? Grafham through Stenying for me.. hack along the top and watch the view unfold. Also the bit around Lewes… I don’t care much for the Brighton section.. The gates can be a PITA and come up fast so get used to stop/start and the mentality focus around that.

It’s a great ride, enjoy it, ride light and fast like you weren’t even on it.

Then let us know what you thought of it..

8)

njee20
    Free Member

Awesome, ta! I’m quite excited now!

larrydavid
    Free Member

It’s pretty easy to follow and well marked – I did it and only lost my way once – and I wasn’t at all familiar with any of the route being from Scotland.

Funnily enough the hills don’t seem so bad as you quickly get a break on the other side.

The gates eat away your time, and that compounded by a couple of mechanical and lunch meant I ended up running out of daylight so keep moving.

Good day out – it is weirdly repetitive though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hated it when i did it

Saw and spoke to one of the sexiest women i have ever had the pleasure of meeting though whilst on it. Good luck!

nedrapier

Been on my ‘to do’ list for ages, I’ve run out of excuses, so I’m doing it tomorrow.

😀

I wonder how many people have been worn down to doing the lot in a day, rather than working up to it? I’d done it a few times with friends over 2 and 3 days, and always said that was the best way of doing it, more relaxed, more friends wanting to join etc. etc.

Mate Jim kept listening to that^ and said: “Yes, but I’m thinking about the lot in a day; you’re thinking about it too, and if we did it, we could stop thinking about it.”

Didn’t have a reply to that!

njee20
    Free Member

Half the reason I’d always put it off was the logistics, but then a few folk said they’d take me to Winchester/pick me up from Eastbourne, so I thought I’d do it.

Then when I said Wednesday not a one of them could do it, but I already really fancied it, so just leaving the car in Winchester, train home from Eastbourne, and fetching the car on Thursday!

richardthird

Should be a perfect day for it. You do not want full sun!

The Pilot Inn 1min from the end is good for a pie and pint.

molgrips
    Free Member

Got a similar challenge coming up with the trans cambrain way in 4 weeks. Good luck.

robcolliver
    Free Member

If you are still on course on Saturday, I’ll watch ouut for you….. I’m doing it as a single this time. Best bits are from the top of Cocking Down to the Arun river and at the top of Firle as you know you are nearly done by then.

The climb on the tarmac up to the YHA is the dullest bit – remember to look northwards to pass the time, though if 10 hours is your goal and you are not sure of the way, there won’t be much time to look up from the gps!

Its awesome up there (and free!)

m1kea
    Free Member

Bikebuoy you’re a nutter but big props to you 8)

I’ve personally had faster / nicer rides on my full sussers and I’m not sure I’d be able to cope with the battering of a CX.

Views wise (subject to weather)
    Temple valley as you cross the A272 after Chilcomb
    Butser descent
    Across the Arun valley coming down to Amberley
    Turn round at the sty gates above Chantry lane and look back at Arundel Castle
    View across the Adur Valley
    Black Cap
    Views from Itfold Hill (takes your mind off the climb)
    Heading across Ebo golf course
    The run down to the end at St Bedes

nedrapier

mol – TCW looks amazing! Finishes close to my wifes bro and family, too! I’m already hatching a plan.

Let us know how it was and post and some pics? 🙂

will
    Free Member

Look forward to seeing this on Strava.

Was meant to be doing this on the 4th, as part of the Wiggle Sportive, but i’m away now so can’t make it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Let us know how it was and post and some pics?

Yeah alright.. I’ll note it down as fodder for my nascent blog.

richardthird

Oh yeah, when you get to Firle after the never ending climb from Southease, that town nestling by the sea over your right shoulder ISN’T Eastbourne 😉

m1kea
    Free Member

richardthird
    Oh yeah, when you get to Firle after the never ending climb from Southease, that town nestling by the sea over your right shoulder ISN’T Eastbourne

Yeah after Itfold you just have the Bo Peep drag, bottom climb out of Alfriston, Windover Hill, the Jevington climb and then you’re done! 😈

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Good luck Nick!

Going West to East, halfway distance is probably a bit less than halfway in terms of time/effort – the hills come thicker and faster in the second half.

njee20
    Free Member

Well I’ve ruined the bike in anticipation!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/usxrj4]Untitled[/url] by njee20, on Flickr

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Excellent work, that looks ridiculous!

Hope you’ve got a backpack to carry some pies though?

cp

Have you ridden with the gels like that before? Last time I tried more than about 3 they were flapping all over the place and cutting my knees up! Worth a try out before you head out….

nuke

Think the trickiest aspect if you’ve not done it before and are after sub 10 is navigation…its not difficult but when pushing on its easy to miss signs or worry that you’re not on track causing you to slow (you can end up in the right direction but the wrong side of a fence!). Richardthird mentioned the one soon after Ditchling which is a classic.

Personally i prefer water bottles only as distance between taps isn’t that great although they can be easy to miss at speed so take care

…im sure you’ll be fine though. Good luck…have a good one 😀

m1kea
    Free Member

Nick those gels are going to be a ball ache of the highest order (and possibly literally) 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Took it for a spin earlier, and no ill effects from all the gels, if they flap around too much I’ll move/eat them, they’ll go up my short leg, but easier to start with them there. Good shout though, hopefully be ok…

singletrackmind

Nick
    Rode 50m of it on sunday . Binned it on some slippery chalk and cut myself up, so carried on for another 40miles. Should be dry as a bone and perfect conditions .my 2p’s worth.
    Suntan cream .- Its open and exposed on the tops

Gates , dont bash them with your front wheel. Friendly farmers occaisionaly wrap barbed wire round them. Also as you approach look for the hinges , the lock will be opposite side . Do not let the gate swing back into your mech… alot of the springs are very strong.

Toilet at Truleigh hill is useful and tap and bench for 10 mins stop.

Tap at QECP is next to the back door of the office and is first after Winch.

Take a few High5 zero tabs of different flavours as you will consume alot of water . I carried and emergency supply of toilet paper just in case the gels went horribly wrong , but I was fine in the end.

Try and find a friendly yocal at the other end to hold your bike whilst you purchace every pie in the pie shop.

As you have GPS navigation wont be an issue , just keep an eye open for grapefruit sized flints in the gulleys.

Should be a great day for it.

I reckon Lewes is halfway in terms of effort .

What time are you leaving Winch ?

njee20
    Free Member

Good man, thanks Rob. Sun cream and bog roll are good shouts!

Probably be about 7:30ish by the time I’ve driven over.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My wifes walking the section between Grafham and Stenying with her best mate tomorrow and Thursday. As I type she’s frantically packing 😆
    She’s been planning it for about 3 mths 😆

Don’t run her over, she’s quite a nice person all told.

Enjoy it.

And yes the CX’er is quite a hard ride but over the practice I’ve done my shoulders and back are now used to it.. everyone will comment on tyres and pressures, but hey.. pump em’ up so they don’t pinch flat and you’ll be fine.

Look Up too.

fathomer

I have no tips as I’ve not done and don’t think I could, but just thought I’d say good luck.

Not that I think you’ll need it for one minute 😀

wwaswas

Good luck, I’ll wave when I think you’re passing Hove:)

njee20
    Free Member

All good wishes are appreciated, I think I will need it, even if it’s an incredibly mediocre achievement compared to many on here!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Doing the South Downs Way tomorrow – tips?’ is closed to new replies.