• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ton.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Doing Lon Las on Mon, just a bit apprehensive about my bum cheeks
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

not done multiple 50+ miles per day on my bike before, and slower than usual- so longer days. So that all equates to plenty of time in the saddle for my bumcheeks to give me gyp. It’s going to happen, I have some decentish cycling trews and shorts FROM ALDI but in reality it’s going to hurt my poor bum isn’t it?. Apart from rubbing in a bit of savlon post/pre?? ride what can I do to save my arse from whatever fate It will endure. I want to enjoy my ride!

ton

sudocream every morning.

never worn padded cycling shorts in oer 30yrs of riding.
    still use sudocream for long rides and touring.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

You’ll be fine…the comfort and fit of the aldi short is exemplary…. 🙄

MussEd
    Free Member

Lon Las?

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s what I can afford Bobby. LOn Las is sustrans route 8 from Cardiff to Holyhead 254 miles, with a detour or 2, over 4-5 days depending on how it goes. it’s no joke for me! I’m really lookng forward to it, but I have a sensitive arse

Ambrose

I have a couple of pairs of the Aldi shorts from a few years back. I wear them regularly and TBH they seem as comfortable as all my others from the ‘big’ names.

petefromearth

It’ll be great, I did most of this route a few years ago (from bristol to Dublin). I took a slightly different route through snowdonia and missed out the northwest coast, as I wanted to go to Pete’s Eats in llanberis! You’re probably sorted but if you need recommendations for digs let me know.

Take some proper maps or gps, I found the sustrans signs/maps a bit unreliable in some areas (but when you’re in the middle of nowhere you can swear at full volume). Taking a wrong turn is pretty likely if you just rely on the blue signs, so you end up checking the map every 5mins which really slows progress.

Not sure what advice to give for your bum. It’s worth investing in good padded shorts though I’d say.

psling
    Free Member

Like ton says, Sudocreme (nappy cream) is cheap and effective on the nether regions before and after. Keep everything clean (showers/wet wipes depending on your overnight accommodation) and don’t keep wearing the same shorts day after day without washing them overnight (take minimum 2 pairs). Enjoy, you’ll be riding through a beautiful part of the world 8)

Kevevs
    Free Member

thanks all. got me some sudocreme ;D

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I did it in August, longest touring ride I’ve ever done – started in Beaumaris on Anglesea and extended it over the Bristol Channel once I passed Chepstow and back to the Isle of Wight. Averaged 75 miles a day over five days.

I ended up with the mother of all saddlesores – could literally not sit down for two days when I got back. Agony. I did have two pairs of shorts on the go and was staying in B&Bs/hostels, so it didn’t seem like it was a lack of personal hygiene.

I would recommend just wearing lycra shorts if poss, and not baggies over the top, weather permitting. I think it was the baggies bunching up for long, uninterrupted stints in the saddle that caused the chafing that led to the sores.

Kevevs, if you need some proper Sustrans maps and a guide book, you can have ’em for the price of postage – mine were given to me in Caernarfon by a guy who worked for the council who had previously worked in Sustrans, who overheard me in a bookshop asking an assistant if they had any Sustrans maps. He ran off to his office and got me some spares he had. 😀

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Kevevs, you riding home?

What saddle are you using, padded eight panel shorts/tights to me are a staple for long periods in the saddle. You ride a fare bit i take it, so you’ll be fine, unless you get an ingrowing hair that turns to a boil
    😳

Weather does not look great , at least its not icy yet, i assume you are not camping so you can travel pretty light.
    Have a great trip.
    bon route

jekkyl

I did this ride just last week, had a great time. If you’re doing it southways, the bit between welshpool and builth wells is a long trek, I’d consider taking the major road for a few of those sections to gain some time. The cycle route always takes the minor roads or tracks but up down up down ALL day. The taff trail from brecon to cardiff is beautiful, reward day. After the LONG climb alongside the resovoir there are no more big hills and it’s pretty much tarmac off-road track all the way. The signage is mostly good but a bit hit n miss in places, and there’s a spot in a housing estate where there is road/track work going on and the workmen have just blocked the path without putting up diversion alt signs, very annoying when you’re trying to make a train in Cardiff. Take a map is what I’m saying and if you have a smartphone with google maps that would also be helpful. Also, if you short of time you can skip the last 6 miles and get a train to cardiff, costs just £3, route 8 passes right by Taffs Wells train station.
    Have a good one.

Kevevs
    Free Member

so anyways, it was a brilliant little tour, really enjoyed it and makes me want to go all over the place on my bike further! MY buttocks performed splendidly. Everyone reading this should just give it a go! Ride a bike for 5 days on the trot through wales.. just do it!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

yeah man !! i like to take off whenever is possible, throw tent on bike etc and just head off, we lucky to live in this part of the world…

ton

Kevevs……….ace news mate. touring is THE best cycling.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Doing Lon Las on Mon, just a bit apprehensive about my bum cheeks’ is closed to new replies.