• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Doing climbs in the Alps and where to stay – can anyone help?
  • anlegov
    Free Member

As usual I am hoping to do some classic climbs in the Alps this spring – Alpe d'Heuz, Galibier, and what ever a few of us can fit in in 3-4 days. Anyone know of any sites that provide info on where to start, what you can do in a day, where you can stay, drink beer afterwards, etc. Not looking for an organised tour – just some helpful advice.

tonyg2003

"spring" are you sure that they will be open? I've ridden the 2000m passes in the summer and there has still been the odd patch of snow on the ground.

peteimpreza

Le Bourg d'Oisans should fit the bill.

Alpe d'huez can be done in a morning or afternoon. As can Les Deaux Alpes

Galibier there and back in a day no problem at all.

Col du Coix de Fer and Col du Glandon in the other direction again easily in a day.

Lots of other lesser known rides in the area as well. Of which I highly recommend the ride out to La Berade.

The Bourg tourist office has maps online and in print for free.

Would you like some accommodation advice as well?

And finally if you are really fit you could alsways do the Marmotte course. 😯

But, in spring will you have enough daylight hours and there will be a high risk of the cols being closed by snow.

The last time I was there in September the Galibier got closed one weekend by a meter of snow.

anlegov
    Free Member

Yeah, if you have some accomm advice that would be much appreciated. Actually, when I said spring – I was thinking about May. Should be Ok then? Or not?

fogliettaz
    Free Member

The Galibier will not be open until Mid June and the passes at 2000-2300 mts will not be open until late May,

http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/acces-aux-cols/index.do

anlegov
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. That has pretty much knocked that one then. Why are those Frenchies so tardy in clearing passes?

peteimpreza

Hmmmmm. That has pretty much knocked that one then. Why are those Frenchies so tardy in clearing passes?

They clear them then it snows again.

peteimpreza

Are you after camping or an apartment?

My mail is in my profile

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There's a campsite on the outskirts of Bourg d'Oisans (if that's your intention), right at the bottom of the Alp d'huez climb. You can hire a bike in the town aswell. It's nice and warm at the bottom, but pretty cold at the top, be warned.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

As a semi-related and general FYI, the lifts at L'Alpe d'Huez are open from 3rd July to 29th August and the lifts at Les Deux Alpes are open from 16th June to 28th August.

aP
    Free Member

If you're doing A d'H then keep going and ride the col de saronne – nice extra loop with a cracking descent back to B d'O

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Doing climbs in the Alps and where to stay – can anyone help?’ is closed to new replies.