Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Doing business with non british workmen?
  • ton

does anyone on here deal with non british workmen in any trade.
    how do you find them? do you have problems with them?

johnellison
    Free Member

Depends who they are. Poles/Latvians/Lithuanians tend to have a fairly solid work ethic, they’ll do a good job cheaply and get it done fairly quickly too.

Personally though I wouldn’t trust anyone who doesn’t come recommended.

Liftman

At the company i worked for previously we brought over engineers that worked for the company in India (this was late 90s so when construction was booming), they had a better work ethic than our local guys and worked any hours going (helped that they were on 10 x their at home salary), most spoke good English and they were a pleasure to work with.

on the flip side they also brought some Eastern Europeans in and it was like chalk and cheese. After a fairly bad accident the compamy found out that half of them had only been employed the month previously before being sent over, and they werent qualified and they spoke little/no english.

So there are good ones and bad ones.

IHN

So there are good ones and bad ones.

Indeed, but as the two examples given show, where they come from has nothing to do with it.

richmtb

Just like any tradesmen pick based upon recommendations. Unless you are looking to exchange sausage recipes nationality really doesn’t come into it.

thx1138
    Free Member

I’d choose workmen based on their ability to do the job, rather than where they came from.

That, and price. Foreigners tend to be a bit cheaper. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You haven’t had my cousins offering to Tarmac your front garden again have you ton? Look, you’ve probably guessed, they weren’t actually doing a job down the road for the council and an inch thick isn’t enough.

philconsequence
    Free Member

an inch thick isn’t enough.

you’ve got a new baby that proves different!

😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

PWNED by the tall fella! 😀

ton

no horror stories then? good, just given 3 kurdish brothers a few weeks work moving satellite dishes.
    8)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Kurds are lovely people, if you exclude those involved in drug & people trafficking, organised crime, and armed rebellion.

Just don’t mess with their money – they don’t like that. And even their women can look a little scarey when they’re upset. Although this one has a lovely winning smile

Woody
    Free Member

Although this one has a lovely winning smile

If that’s her winning smile, let’s hope she never loses 😯

jon1973
    Free Member

Make sure language isn’t going to be a problem
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqnFnWSYzaQ[/video]

patriotpro
    Free Member

It’s a Kurd family who run the Polish shop in Cleckheaton, they’re pleasant enough but then they’re taking my brass so not conclusive.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I work in construction and deal with a lot of Eastern European workers. Some leave the best work I have ever seen and others have cut corners and have had to had jobs redone. Recent example was using internal plaster as a backing for external render. The whole building has to be re-rendered and the original subbies have done a runner.

crikey
    Free Member

If they do a bad job, does that make it a Lemon Kurd?

…I’ve already got my coat, thanks…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

crikey! Get out!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Being in possession of a lemon if you’re a kurd is no laughing matter crikey – maximum sentence is 25 years.

Kurd with lemon accused of supporting terror

BigJohn

There used to be a large building firm called Patels. Their slogan was “You’ve tried the cowboys, now try the Indians”.

konabunny
    Free Member

So in summary some are good and some are bad? Kinell, it’s almost as if…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So in summary some are good and some are bad?

And what I found particularly interesting is that it doesn’t appear to matter which part of the world they come from, ie, if people haven’t got any horror stories concerning Eastern Europeans, then Kurds should be just fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

would it be racist to say that British workers are lazy workshy bar stewards who would rip off their own grandmother….

Some are some are not.

Important things to check
    Visa/Passport are they entitled to work here
    Tax/NI
    Do you have a recommendation?

mefty
    Free Member

I watched Spiral, the kurds were dead nasty in that but they were in France so what can you expect.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s almost as if their “foreignness” has a bearing on the quality of their work, and if not that, their trustworthiness. I’m sure I’m just imagining that though.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Doing business with non british workmen?’ is closed to new replies.