Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Doh! Removed headshok and tried to fit new 1-1/5th fork
  • sunkistbob
    Free Member

Doh!

Another silly question from the deaf South African ****t (well, that's what they call me on site)

Right, so, I managed to remove the head shock from my new 'old' Canondale Jekyll and then slid the new forks in (also 1-1/5th) but they are not flush at all with a gap twixt steerer tube and frame head!

Does this mean that the head set for Head Shoks are totally different for normal 1-1/5th forks?

If so, I guess I will have to take her into the LBS to do this as I do not have the tools or the technical know-how. Yet!

Any ideas from those in the 'know' on here??

Thank you kindly

Benjamin

nicolaisam
    Free Member

If i remember correctly Cannondales are not 1.5"

duntstick
    Free Member

You need something like this

(There are more expensive, better sealed versions, you'll have to look around)
    Headset removal tool
    Headset press

sunkistbob
    Free Member

Duntstick – Something like what?? Ah! have one of those already! May have to ask the LBS to fit it for me 😳

NicolaiSam – From my extensive investigations, it seems they are. I was also reliably informed that a 1-1/5th headset would fit in the frame. I just thought that it would already have one in there after removing the existing headshok. God hopes that this is correct. Mind you, how could Cannondale sell the Gemini with 1-1/5th forks or their other bikes with 1-1/8th then?

Perhaps I should have taken the big girls blouse option and buy what I wanted in the first place! Mind you, I wouldnt be learning much that way 😉

Regards

Ben

amedias
    Free Member

cannondale headtubes will take a 1.5 headset but the internal diameter of the bearings are different as headshok forks (and lefty) are not actually 1.5 (they're about 1.56 if i recall correctly)

peteimpreza

what amedias said.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

NicolaiSam – From my extensive investigations, it seems they are. I was also reliably informed that a 1-1/5th headset would fit in the frame. I just thought that it would already have one in there after removing the existing headshok. God hopes that this is correct. Mind you, how could Cannondale sell the Gemini with 1-1/5th forks or their other bikes with 1-1/8th then?

I had a gemini and ran 1"1/8 boxers on it,It used adaptor cups that were available from cannondale as a standard 1.5" headset with 1"1/8 Internal wouldnt fit.

sunkistbob
    Free Member

Nicolaisam

Yes, I was originally going to run an old set of RS Psylos and had purchased reducer cups but came across a nice set of Shermans and wanted to run those instead.

Would I require a specific 1-15th headset to run them?

HOw strange that Cannondale run such a different spec to the industry standard!

Ben

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Headshocks are 1 9/16ths, which is an exclusive size to heashock and lefty forks. New headset i'm afraid…

amedias
    Free Member

HOw strange that Cannondale run such a different spec to the industry standard!

well…they were doing it long before there was a 1.5 industry standard

nicolaisam
    Free Member

sunkistbob

– Think you will need to speak to a Cannondale dealer to see if they do a Cannondale 1.5" to a true 1.5" steerer fork.I cannot find any on the internet,All i can find is Cannondale adapters too 1"1/8

Doug
    Free Member

EDITED due to post below after remembering Headshock headsets are a little bigger than 1.5.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

DOUG- If you read the reviews on chain reaction it does say that it isnt the right size.

Doug
    Free Member

Sorry, fair enough but the Double XC worked fine on my 05 Prophet which originally came with a Lefty. Maybe the lefty headset has a marginally smaller diameter than the headshock ones or they had changed the headtube ID by then to allow standard tooling when reaming theyre headtubes when 1.5 became popular. Also, are the OP's forks 1.5 or 1 1/8th. If they really are 1 1/5th I don't think he'll get a headset anywhere.

porter_jamie

do you mean inch and a fifth, or inch and a half?

z1ppy

If he's got shermans then there a onepointfive steerer. As above C'dale lefty/headshock use a specific c'dale headset that has 1.56 internal diameter & is no use with Onepointfive forks – as I found when I swapped out my Shermans for a lefty.

The other thing to consider is that you'll need a new stem too! The C'dale stem you have won't fit.

Edit: Onepointfive stem for oversized bars (I've bought one & it's a nice bit of kit) otherwise Raceface onepointfive stems for normal sized bars come up on fleabay for around the same price

Doug
    Free Member

It's the Double X short that fits headshock frames with a 1.5 fork. I had the Double XC Short Headshock to 1 1/8th version on the Prophet.

sunkistbob
    Free Member

J@sus! £90 for a headset!!

And another headset at that too……

Perhaps I am better of selling the Jekyll and getting another frame that will take a 1.5 fork (for the Sherman fork I already have)

groan 😳

It was never this complicated when I used to cycle many years ago…..

Ben

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There's some confuddling info here. I'm not sure if some folk know what they're actually talking about.

Right.

The crucial dimension is that of the internal diameter of the headtube. This is the same on Cannondale and the onepointfive standard: 49.6mm. As has been correctly stated, the steerer diameter on Cannondale Headshock and Lefty forks is 1.56", which is obviously a tiny but significant bit bigger than the 1.5" standard.

So, you'll need a headset which fits the Cannondale/1.5 standard 49.6mm headtube. But one which is 1.5, not Cannondale fitting. They are available, as some Cannondale bikes come with 1.5 forks.

Now, older Cannondales meant for the Headshock or Lefty forks had the headtube milled to fit the relatively shallow cup of the Si headset. Some 1.5 headsets cups are too long, meaning they'd have to be cut down/the headtube milled down further.

Eg:

This is an FSA Orbit Z1.5R reducer headset, designed to fit a 1 1/8" fork in a 1.5/Cannondale headtube. I have successfully used one of these to fit a 'normal' fork to a Cannondale. No issues whatsoever. In spite of someone in a bike shop once arguing with me that it couldn't be done. Was nice to see his face when I showed him the finished result 😀

Compare with this, the FSA Orbit Exteme Pro 1.5 headset. Note how the cups are longer, ie they'd extend deeper into the frame. This is the potential issue with fitting one to a Cannondale. I've read of people cutting the cup inserts down to make it fit.

Hope this info sheds some light. Yes, you'll need a new headset. Life's not always fair.

Give Cannondale a ring/email if you're still unsure.

sunkistbob
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – thank you kindly for that.

And everyone else too for your input.

A great forum this. A mine of information!

Kind regards

Ben

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You're welcome mate. S'what the forum's for, eh?

I know all this because of having grief getting a headset to work with a 1 1/8" fork! Ah well.

Still, £90 for a new headset's not as bad as having to buy a new frame, eh?

sunkistbob
    Free Member

Aye, too true!

I spend alot of time on a big fly fishing forum and we often help out beginners on there so it is nice to feel what it is like on the other side of the fence.

Mind you, I wanted to put more travel up front on the 'Dale so perhaps it is better to sell it and get a bike already set up for more travel as I doubt the poor old Jekyll was designed to take a Sherman up front!

Being a lump, I think I need a burlier bike – I have put on a fair of lard since having to give up biking many years ago.

Thank you kindly again.

Ben

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Doh! Removed headshok and tried to fit new 1-1/5th fork’ is closed to new replies.