Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dogtrackworld – Patterjacks, any experience?
  • prawny

Been down to dog rescue place today to volunteer as a dog walker with the family to get the kids used to being around dogs so we can get one next year. But.

Some idiot went and fell for one in the kennels 😳 3 y/o patterdale X jrt bitch, soft as anything not a barker bit pully on the lead but only small so not really an issue until we can train her properly.

She loved the kids, no sign of aggression at all. Why shouldn’t we?

Anyone?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Two great breeds – workers so have that element to cope with but easily trained.
    Both breeds amazing family dogs too.
    I’d have already taken her home

prawny

They can do the home check tomorrow and we could have her tomorrow night. I’ve never had a dog before, were both crapping it a bit, been thinking of getting a dog for 18months or more but we’re at the jumping off point now 😕

hammyuk
    Free Member

Be warned – she’ll go everywhere with you.
    IME they are happiest jumping in the car and then being between your legs wherever you end up.

cloudnine
    Free Member

My sister in law has one and It has snapped at the kids several times and attacked my lab too. She’s effin useless at disciplining the dog though but personally wouldnt get anything with JR in it. Obviously a bitch might be different.

tonyg2003

Well just brought home a 10wk old patterdale pup today. Him and his dog/sire all seem very quiet and good natured. We’ll see how long it continues!! Seems to getting on great with our 2yr old border too. Not sure I’d have a JR since I’ve known too many mean snappy ones.

nickc

intelligent, curious, energetic, bloody annoying and totally happy go lucky and faithful. Great little dogs

duncancallum

I’ve a patterdale at my feet twitching n farting currently. She’s getting on for 9 years old I’ve had her 2.

She’s ace, thick as mince, stubborn and not well trained but awesome. I’d not be without her.

She’s a menace to bigger dogs but soft with the cats n my sub 1yr old niece. Flawed but all the better for it just bags of character

Del

had a patterdale. went with the ex. lovely dog, so long as you weren’t small, furry, and running away…
    would have happily given him a home. lovely chap.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Hi the only things I would want to know is, why has she ended up at the rescue centre? and is there any history/info on the dog from the former owner?

I rehomed a whippet whos owner had to emigrate and couldn’t take her with him. But as you probably know there’s plenty there who have ended up there for being destructive etc.

Hey good luck though, she sounds like a beaut!

phil56

We’ve got a patterjack, she’s 2 now and was our first dog. Just brilliant, never snapped, not once, and just a fantastic friend to have around. Loves people and other dogs, but not sure how ‘trained’ they can ever be – seem to have a bit of madness in there that doesn’t listen sometimes!
    We walk with two others from the same litter and they’re exactly the same, a bit mad but brilliant dogs.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

We have a borderjack and she has never snapped at anyone. Jacks are great dogs and can be nippy but the ones my family have owned have been perfect animals. This thread is heading nowhere without pictures….

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Pictures!

See what she is like with other dogs, around food and with your kids.

If all good go for it!

Dogs are all different. I’ve met some lovely jack Russells and some nasty ones. If you can get a good one then they’re going to be great.

As with any rescue be prepared for odd reactions to situations, but be consistent and loving and the rewards are fabulous.

Had three rescues and one puppy. Need to stop looking at rescue sites as we don’t need another dog in our house.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Best not mention Southern Lurcher Rescue then Super……..

daftvader
    Free Member

This thread is useless without picture… You’ll all be reported!!! 😆
    We have a Patterdale lab cross who is one of the best dogs I’ve ever had, trained really well and loves the kids.. And i can’t post a pic as I’m on my phone…

jedi

I got three jack Russells. Called the weather girls. Breeze, summer and drizzle. Love the breed

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve a 14 year old patterdale that crossed with something, not quite sure tho.
    Had him since he was 8 weeks. He’s chilled out now but was a monster until a couple of years ago.
    Would, and prob still will, fight any dog that showed a morsel of aggression towards him, been quite embarrassing over the years watching Rottweilers and staffies being chased by him. Has had a very particular thing for boxers for some strange reason? Doesn’t chase cats or birds etc.
    Would attack/kill anything that came to harm my daughter or my van (I wouldn’t put my hand through an open window if he was in it)
    But apart from all that, he’s loyal, never leaves my side when I’ve got him out, very rarely on a lead unless I spot a boxer and I’m sure he can understand English.
    Would have another without doubt.

Scapegoat

Just be sure to train her well, both breeds need a firm hand. An acquaintance managed to saddle herself with two littermate Patterdale dogs and completely failed to get the better of them. They made her life a misery, and she was unable to take them anywhere in public. Terriers tend to be very much a pack animal, and both breeds are brave and feisty, so excellent workers but not necessarily for the less experienced. Bitch may be better than a dog in a family though.

Duffer
    Free Member

As above, they are both terrier breeds so the dog will need to be reminded who the boss is; i don’t mean that in a harsh way, just little things like making sure the dog eats dinner after the family (as is natural for the lowest ranking member of the pack).

They are intelligent, inquisitive and friendly breeds, but they can sometimes be a little too independent if somehting catches their attention. If you have anything at home that squeaks, flutters or scurries, then make sure it’s secure! Remember, terriers were bred to be tenacious killers, so don’t let their size fool you.

Our 5 month old JRT has responded brilliantly to proper training classes too. Very highly recommended, especially as this is your first dog.

yunki
    Free Member

Our Patterjack is four years old..
    She’s polite, patient and loving and quite capable of communicating her needs..

She didn’t meet the kids until she was 4 but grudgingly endures all sorts of monkey business from my over enthusiastic 3 year old

She loves a good run and will go for miles, she would swim forever if you let her and around the home she’s pretty much a cat

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The lack of pictures on this thread is an utter disgrace!
    Maybe Patterdales/Jacks don’t stand still long enough to photo, but even so…

Here’s Florence (aka Flonan the Barbarian) doing her stuff:

daftvader
    Free Member

on the main computer now… picture of our patterdale cross, lily, affectionately known as The Puppy
    [/url]DSC_0683 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

Duffer
    Free Member

Go on then…

funkrodent

As said above, would make sense to get some history of the dog (if they have it). Also, how old are your kids? See how she is with food (is she possessive/aggressive) and with other dogs. Both breeds are terriers, she’ll need lots of exercise (she’ll be a brilliant trail hound) and will need to be trained and dealt with properly (think supernanny – reward for good behaviour, consequences for bad). On the whole I’d say go for it, dogs are ace. My rescue lab/shepherd is snoring away on the sofa having been on a ride this morning. Had her three years. Before that was an English bull x and a beagle x (there’s a wilful breed) both rescues and before that a greyhound/ridgeback x (also rescue) who soldiered on until he was 16 and was one of the best friends I ever had. Take her to training though and set ground rules – dog always eats after humans, dog always enters and leaves house after you, dog is only ever fed from her bowl and is not allowed to beg. Good luck!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dogtrackworld – Patterjacks, any experience?’ is closed to new replies.