Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Dogtag Customer Service Issues
  • verbboy
    Free Member

Unfortunately during practice for the mega I broke my leg, tib and fib, had to be airlifted to Grenoble and have been pinned and plated.

Excellent service!

Called the emergency line for dogtag yesterday and waited over 10 mins for an answer. When I did speak to someone the broken english was a real issue but I tried to remain calm but I was slightly distracted by a throbbing leg!

Given I have a number to quote on my “tag” for the cover I found it slightly bizarre i needed to quote a policy number and a whole host of other questions but fortunately I have my MAC with me.

Anyway whilst speaking to her she then asked if I was in a private hospital, I had no idea, i’d seen the ceiling of the corridors and the inside of an operating room and then my room! She then said if I was I wasn’t covered, clearly something I should have considered when being airlfted and asked for the nearest public hospital!!

I said if I was what happens then, she said I have to ask to be moved, I asked about the existing bill, she then asked if I’d given them my passport, I hadn’t and she said good don’t, she basically implied i should try to leave with out paying!!

Anyway I gave her the number of the hospital, so she could find out, 2 mins laters she calls me and asked me to find out!

Eventually I did and luckily its not private I range the office back and confirmed all my details again and have heard nothing since.

This is hardly the service you’d expect, obviously I will try to speak to them tomorrow but I hate to think what happens if you are seriously injured.

Has anyone experienced the same, anyone know the best way to sort this out, it seems like the call centre is just a number of companies outsourcing the important work of the claim handling.

Insurance is supposed to make you feel safe and secure!

Steelsreal

you are probably in CHU Grenoble, I was there! Have you got an EHIC card, that should cover most of your treatment and the insurance covers the other stuff…

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Gutted to hear of your break hope you get better as soon as possible.
    Thanks for posting your feedback.
    We all rely on companies like dog tag to look after us if the worst happens, so it’s good to have honest feedback.
    I’ve been using dog tag for years, so will probably not use them again.

Please let us know how you get on.

legend
    Free Member

Not the first time I’ve heard that Dog Tag don’t pay for private hospitals. I’d guess it’s covered in the documents (I never looked either) but it’s still a shite exclusion and enough to make sure I wouldn’t go with them now I know about it.

verbboy
    Free Member

Yes they have my EHIC card and the costs aren’t terrible, its the lack of “assistance” that concerns me.

I’d expect them to confirm theyve contacted the hospital so all is OK.

I also asked about my flight home and what I would have expected is a “this is what we do” reply.

I’ll call them again in the morning, I’ve had trouble concentrating until today but now I feel fine and want to get home ASAP.

The private bit in in the wording unless there is no alternative. I just think it is a sh!te way to deal with a customer, how on earth could I have decided where I was going to be treated?

I don’t want to pan them completely maybe I had 2 dodgy calls but you’d like to think youd get your hand held in times like this!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Unfortunantly this really does seem to be par for the course with insurance cos.

My dad had a none fault serious motorcycle accident in france last year and recieved very similar treatment down to the point where the insurance wouldnt pay his hospital bill and the hospital threw him out.

I ended up paying to get him repatriated to the uk my self to get him sorted as insurance said”passengers and third parties are covered but the driver isnt” even when presented with their policy booklet that says other wise and a lawyer fighting his corner they still sya they fulfilled their requirements …..

So i wouldnt recomend any insurance underwritten by marketstudy either.

Shit service from dogtag that though. Whats the ski/climbing mob that folks recomend ? Pricy but good ?

bruneep

after seeing 2 chums have to use snowcard after incidents on the trails. It’s snowcard for me everytime.

clubby

Horrible service mate but to balance things out, I had to claim with them after breaking collarbone in Whistler. Paid everything, including extra out patient ortho consult and my wife’s travel and hotel to Manchester to bring me back to Scotland as I could drive my car back. UK call centre both times I phoned and paid within 2 weeks of submitting paperwork. Make sure you use EHIC (while still can) as I think it means you don’t need to pay an excess. This may have changed though so check policy.

verbboy
    Free Member

Well i’m hoping tomorrow I get to speak to someone competent, I’m maybe fortunate I can pay my bill if I have to and sort a way home but i shouldn’t need to.

But if that happens I will roast the hell out of them, its unacceptable.

Its just very disappointing, I get hurt doing something I accept has its dangers, I insure myself to protect my family from any crazy bills and something “minor” and I feel stuck at a time I need their help!

Anyway lets see what tomorrow brings 🙂

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks clubby, I’m happy for a balanced view, I want to trust them

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Afraid my pal had to use snowcard. From his experience, I’d continue to use them, excellent service. Not heard similar about dogtag I’m afraid

For next time and others….

Afraid I can’t help here. Hope they vote through got you though.

Dark-Side

Sorry to hear that Verbboy. Unfortunately I broke two bones in my ankle yesterday in the qualis, and my experience with Dogtag mirrors yours exactly. I had to phone and chase 5 times yesterday, and was given conflicting information regarding my insurance. I’ve sorted myself out now, and I am flying home later today. I wouldn’t use or recommend Dogtag to anyone.

rondo101
    Free Member

Not defending dog tag in any way here, but it always pays to do a little prep with insurance before you go away, as I know from experience.
    Good advice for anyone heading out to the Alps is to Always have your ehic on you and try to remember to show it when you’re admited. Lots of insurance places expect you to call them within 24 hours of your injury, so make sure you’ve got a note of their emergency number and your policy details. Part of this is that they don’t want to pay for private clinics, but there’s much to be said for having someone understanding on the other end of the phone. Airlifted with compound fractures, the last thing on your mind is sorting insurance, never mind trying to explain where you want to go to a heli pilot that doesn’t speak English. A little empathy goes a long way; another vote for snowcard here.

twistedpencil

Dark side, were you in wave 1? If so it looked bad, safe journey home and heal up quick, that goes for you as well verbboy, hoping I don’t need to call on dogtag this weekend then…

Dark-Side

Yes, that was me twistedpencil. Looking forward to getting home now as I’m in a lot of pain and will probably require surrgery in the UK. I got a half decent start too, I’ll be back next year again!

twistedpencil

You looked to be in a lot of discomfort mate. Good luck getting back and may see you out here next year then.

Dark-Side

Thanks buddy, it did smart a little, I heard the bones crack! See you next year for sure.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Bad news, I really hope you get it sorted, your attitude seems brilliant but what a time to mess people about!

We used Dogtag about 8 years ago when my wife tore knee ligaments skiing in Whistler. They were excellent, sorting all the bills quick, paying for lost days skiing and private physiotherapy in resort and home. I know policy changed a few years ago with more exclusions, hopefully you just got a bad person on the phone. Good luck.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lots of insurance places expect you to call them within 24 hours of your injury,

Another piece of crap my dad’s insurance company spouted and got arse about Not exactly possible to phone insurance when your under sedation.

And unfortunately paying more is no guarantee of service as these guys received top of the reviews for European cover in mcn and were not cheap. He thought he was buying a quality product…..much like how dog tag is marketed.

verbboy
    Free Member

hey Darjside sorry to hear about your break, just tried Dogtag again and in some overflow system. I don’y think I’ll be back next year although I’ll have to research about potential damage with plates in my leg 🙁

My pain on one day was fairly draining but now its OK so I hope you feel better soon.

I had my EHIC with me and that has helped with the bill anyway. Its the attitude of Dogtag that bothers me.

Looks like by buddy has done the impossible and packed the car with the whole rear seat available for me so i can elevate my leg all the way and no fussing around the airport.

Lets hope Dogtag come up with the goods if not I shall be doing my best to educate every person who looks for cover of ski and other sports forums to avoid them! I’m no keyboard warrior but we have a duty to make sure we are looked after when needs must.

I will look at snowcard when I return

verbboy
    Free Member

After waiting 2 hours I called them back again and finally spoke to someone competent!

hopefully I’ll be on my way today or tomorrow :-))

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Anybody complained on their FB or Twitter? It might gee them up a bit.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Dogtag Customer Service Issues’ is closed to new replies.