• This topic has 34 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Woody.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Dogs wee killing grass??
  • renton
    Free Member

My Springer’s wee has been killing the grass in the garden to the extent we have now got massive dead patches of lawn.

Anyone got some tips on how to prevent it/

We have tried “Dog Rocks” in his water but they dont seem to be having much effect ?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Anyone got some tips on how to prevent it/

Aye – dont let the dog piss on your grass.

renton
    Free Member

Erm ok ??

tonyg2003

You can get stones which you put in the dogs water bowl (can’t remember the name of them) that stops their wee burning the grass. Google it.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Take your dog for regular walks and dont leave it couped up in the garden.

renton
    Free Member

We have tried “Dog Rocks” in his water but they dont seem to be having much effect?

Thats quite a presumption to make wanmankylung.

He gets two long walks a day. he still needs to go out in the day to do his business.

Or are you just being a dick for the sake of it?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Section off a piss-free zone?

dantsw13

I find my spaniels wee mainly kills moss in the grass, not the grass itself.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Put the dog down. It’s the only way.

theotherjonv

You’ll have to google this, but we had the same with our bitch. Its to do with over high levels of nitrogen in the urine I recall. Someone told us to put tomato juice (or passata?) into her food, but we had her neutered about the same time and that seemed to cure it.

soobalias
    Free Member

dog or bitch?
    I used Dog Rocks to good effect, does take about 6 weeks to notice a difference tho and i found it much harder to control water intake in the summer (puddles, rivers, watering can, bird bath etc) There is also no obvious way to know when to change them, until you notice the first ‘burn’ mark return – by then you are at least a week late.

no personal experience, but you can get one of those “wee posts”, think its scented and encourages the dog to wee on it

EDIT: my bitch was ‘done’ and burned the grass severly

toys19
    Free Member

It’s like being King Canute expecting people not to just jump to assumptions and think the worst of you on here. I’m convinced they come on here just to take out their own frustrations on people. The best thing to do is ignore them.

mikey74
    Free Member

Tomato ketchup in the doggie’s food. I’m not kidding: My parents did it with their dog and it worked.

jobro
    Free Member

^^

Another shout here for tomato ketchup. Ours was a Springer bitch so I hope it works for dogs too.

And of course the dogs love tommy sauce on their food!

divenwob
    Free Member

On the other hand,taking the dog for regular walks is great advice, how does anyone know what your regime is? I took it to mean that this is what he does with his dog.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’s the wrong dog…you should trade it in for a 650b dog rather than fix the problem. Either that or spend some time with the dog to find out if it’s really a problem or not.

😉

In reality, very little you can do, customers always ask me to try and fix their dog piss lawns. I tell them to remove the dog or the lawn from the equation and they shall find their shangrila.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the helpful replies, as for the unhelpful ones well I wouldnt expect anyhting less from some of you !!

FYI he is a 3.5 year old dog and its only since we moved upto scotland that its really noticeable.

Dog rocks were effective to start with but that has worn off, even with new rocks.

Will give the Tomato sauce a go.

divenwob
    Free Member

Frustrating,good luck with the ketchup,let us know how it goes.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought tomatoes were bad for dogs. I’ve also been told that filtered water for the dog helps but not tried it.

We’ve put some bark down on part of the lawn edge and that doesn’t burn when he wees on this. Oddly, it doesn’t leave a mark where I wee in the garden.

divenwob
    Free Member

Is he ONLY drinking from his bowl? If he is getting water from elsewhere it is unlikely that the dog rocks will have the desired effect.

renton
    Free Member

Yep he only Gets it from his water bowl.

divenwob
    Free Member

Without any sort of malice,what does he drink whilst out on his walks?

wilburt
    Free Member

Had the outlaws around last weekend, they reckon the dog pee improves their lawn.

patriot_matt
    Free Member

Not suggesting you do it but when my springer had his nads off he stopped burning big sections of the lawn with his wee. He also stopped his escapologist routine which was even more infuriating than the lawn thing. Two birds with one stone, well, technically two stones but it was worth it.

bimster29
    Free Member

My springer still burns the lawn with his pee despite having his gentlemens veg removed 6 years ago. Thought this was the norm and I’d rather have him around than a lovely stripey lawn!

renton
    Free Member

Divenwob. He will drink out of muddy puddles if he is given half a chance but we normally take a bottle of water from his bowl and give him that.

samuri
    Free Member

Take your dog for regular walks and dont leave it couped up in the garden.

Utter nonsense.

Dogs wee all the time. It’s not about needing to empty their bladders, it’s territory marking. Dogs want to wee in their own gardens.

Right. Girl dogs seem to create the problem more than boy dogs but that’s because they’re more precise, boys splatter, girls pool. You can dilute the wee with a watering can if you’re there or you can encourage the dog to wee in certain areas. The best way to do this is fence off the lawn you want to keep nice, really.

You can get get special seed and food that makes grass grow better where the wee has damaged it, this is what we do.

andyl
    Free Member

We have the opposite with our springer bitch as the grass grows very well where she pees. Opposite to our friends lab bitch which kills it. They take turns to wee on the same patch so it kind of cancels out!

What food is it on? Ours is on eukanuba.

Go easy on tomato ketchup due to the sugar and salt. Maybe try some proper tomatoes, our dog loves them (along with most veg)

JoeG
    Free Member

jools182
    Free Member

Isn’t tomato sauce full of sugar?

I’m sure that can’t be good for your dog

jimster01

The ketchup thing does work,I think it’s because ketchup is quite acidic and it neutralizes the alkaline in wee.

theotherjonv

That’s why I said tomato juice, or pasata, and not tomato sauce.

Reading about it, seems to be little science but enough anecdote to make it worth a try. It doesn’t seem to be acid / alkali, it’s nitrogen content and girls are worst cos as said above they squat and pool, while boys spray it all over the place and hence the effects are lessened in a small area.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Ketchup seems to be a wonder “fix all” for dogs! We were using small pieces of hotdogs while training our puppy and it gave her horrendous wind. The trainer said to put a bit of ketchup in her dinner. Cleared it right up!
    Also apparently, washing your dog in ketchup after its rolled in fox poo gets rid of the smell like no dog shampoo can!

Interested to see if it works with the grass burn.

scruff
    Free Member

I have a Dalmatian, all Dalmatians have huge amounts of uric acid in their p155, it rots steel metal trampoline legs and aluminium clothes props, grass has no chance.

Woody
    Free Member

I found the ‘dog rocks’ to be ineffective. Tomato sauce seems to work a bit better. My 3 get it via pilchards in tomato sauce on top of their usual food, so hopefully fewer additives than bottled sauce but TBH I haven’t checked the label.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Dogs wee killing grass??’ is closed to new replies.