Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dogs, owners and biking
  • chriscandler
    Free Member

I ride a lot in Stanmer Park, Brighton. Great place. Tracks, trees and a cafe. But the little packets of dogs ‘do’ is saddening. I counted 20 just standing looking round on a main path. Two multi coloured packets even tucked into a tree. Why do they do it? There are bins. I watched one man carefully place it next to the path and walk away. It was big enough to trip over. In case of a fall off ,wear gloves at least.

hilton83
    Free Member

Ugh, drives me mad, i cant ride my local woods anymore, i get dog ship on my bike every time.
    And why do some of them tie it in the branches of the trees? Are they trying to get us in the face??? If you have bothered to pick up a steaming turd and tie a knot in tha bag why not carry it to the bins that are by most gates?

nickbc
    Free Member

Hi guys, I’m rider of the trails since 1990 and I’m a dog owner of 13 years. I pick up my dogs shit in a bag tie it up and leave it by the trail. Then I pick it up on the way back past on the return leg and put it in the bin near the exit, so I don’t have to walk around with a big stinky shit in a bag! I reckon there’s a lot don’t bother though! If there’s more than one bag on the return I’ll take ’em all! I don’t get the sticking it in trees though, what’s that all about! And as for people who don’t bother at all and just leave it, makes my blood boil!

chojin
    Free Member

Have just got my mate in to MTB and took him out for the first time with his dog – low and behold, Fido curls one out on the path – i stopped, waiting for said mate to produce a bag and pick it up… Nothing. “are you gonna pick that up?” I ask, to which he replies “Naah, it’s in the woods, init”.

Gggrrrrrrrr. I was not a happy bunny to say the least.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I honestly think dog owners who bag it and then leave it on the trail or throw it into the bushes are actually worse than those who just leave it. It can never bio degrade and it’s a wilful act of littering.

faz083
    Free Member

sorry to get started on this again, but I personally dislike horse crap in my face as much as I do dog shit, yet no one bothers to try to penalise horse riders? If I were in charge I’d get those ladies to climb down off their high horse ( 😉 ), shovel up the crap, bag it, then carry it home.

But I totally agree, dog crap is the worst.

And where is the cafe in stanmer? On campus or…?

skywalker
    Free Member

The most effective way of treating this problem is carry some poo bags with you, when you see someone not picking one up, pick it up for them and throw it at them.

arcane
    Free Member

“I personally dislike horse crap in my face as much as I do dog shit”

“But I totally agree, dog crap is the worst.”

So which is it? You love them both equally or not?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@faz – horses are vegetarian so their droppings arent so bad, that’s why you put it on the roses ! Dogs are a mix, ones fed on meat or canned food leave very unpleasant sh1t complete with viruses which can cause major health issues in humans.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Picking up poo is just part of owning a dog! I’ve got a Rottie and his poos aint small, which is why I think it’s especially important to clean them up.

Moda
    Free Member

Think stammer has an inherent issue due to the area it’s located in…

rickon
    Free Member

My local woods has signs put up by the council to state that they would prefer owners to leave the poo off the tracks and paths, and ask them not to bag it up and leave it. The idea being that the poo will degrade, but the plastic bags wont.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The most effective way of treating this problem is carry some poo bags with you, when you see someone not picking one up, pick it up for them and throw it at them.

I totally agree.

My dad once did that, almost. He actually picked it up and followed the bloke home, rang his door bell and handed it to the chap saying his dog “dropped this”.

mattbee

I am a dog owning mtber, he absolutely loves running with the bike and I absolutely love him. I get really annoyed by poo/poo bag leavers too, some of us dog owners are ‘normal’ too!
    I’d rather see poo on it’s own than in a bag in a tree though. At least the un bagged stuff will disperse given a good bit of rain or bake into a solid lump in heat. The bag just stays there until some unlucky council/FC worker has to remove it. Not saying it’s ok to leave it mind you, just that of the sins the former is lesser in my eyes. I will often pick it up myself if out with my pup as I will have poobags on me.

I am lucky in that my dog hates to be seen when he poos so he hidesx in thick foliage/well off the path to do it. I will pick it up on the odd occasions he does it on the trail, then there’s a specific pocket of the Camelbak with a nice thick zip lock bag in it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dogs, owners and biking’ is closed to new replies.