• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • dogs on shared use paths – the Highway Code says…
  • neilthewheel

“Rule 56
    Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.” (my bold)

Did everyone else know this? It seems universally ignored where I live.

yunki
    Free Member

It seems to be a bit of a compromise on the shared paths where I am.. Particularly off road sustrans etc which have been designated in the last decade or so..

I would personally feel quite uncomfortable expecting dog owners to have to use leads where they have been exercising their dogs forever and bikes are relative newcomers

MoreCashThanDash

Rather overtaken by Section 2(?) of the Dangerous Dogs Act – a dog shall be under control in a public place at all times [paraphrasing]

Not necessarily on a lead, but if it won’t come immediately when called, it probably should be.

project
    Free Member

tonight the clocks go back and the doggerists, come out the same time,with fido, running round like an idiot, so easy to hit the damm things, so please if youre a dog owner and care or know a dog owner who cares about their pet, buy them some led flashing lights to attach to the collar or a flashing collar and a hi viz reflective bib for the owner so us cycle path cyclists can see you and your dogs and me along with most cyclists have good lights before,otherwise we may hit them, and you get a damaged dog, vet bills and a claim against you for not having fido under control.

FOG

The issue near me is the number of dog walking companies which have sprung up. I often se two three vans with cute dog related signage parked at the beginning of a shared use path. This guarantees you will meet a horde of mutts on extending leads spread all over the path causing mayhem when bikes and indeed anybody tries to pass

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, it came up on a thread where I was complaining about selfish doggists. Though as I noted, there doesn’t appear to be any law behind it, so it’s purely optional and the selfish are free to ignore it. I don’t suppose any doggists are aware of it though, especially not the selfish ones.

Your paraphrase misses out the “dangerous” bit – it’s something more like “you shall not have a dog dangerously out of control”, so whilst that is law, it doesn’t actually cover the majority of dogs off leads – as most will have noticed, I’m not really a dog fan, but most are friendly rather than dangerous.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I saw something the other night which impressed me. It was one of those extending leads that had a laser light come out of it that pointed to the dog.

irc

project – Member

buy them some led flashing lights to attach to the collar or a flashing collar and a hi viz reflective bib for the owner so us cycle path cyclists can see you

If you can’t see people who are not wearing HiViz then either you’re going too fast or your lights aren’t as good as you think they are.

This thread sounds a bit like car drivers complaining about having to share the road with cyclists. If I meet loose dogs I slow down to a safe speed. There are plenty paths with few if any dogs so it’s no hardship slowing down when using the popular paths shared with dog walkers.

aracer
    Free Member

touché – though as pointed out on the recent bike lights thread, whilst you ought to see the owner, it’s tricky spotting a dog off to the side of the path outside the beam of your lights, so you might not even be aware there is a loose dog until it runs in front of your wheels.

mrmo
    Free Member

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

1. Overview
    It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, such as:

in a public place
    in a private place, eg a neighbour’s house or garden
    in the owner’s home
    The law applies to all dogs.

Some types of dogs are banned.

Out of control
    Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone
    makes someone worried that it might injure them
    A court could also decide that your dog is dangerously out of control if either of the following apply:

it attacks someone’s animal
    the owner of an animal thinks they could be injured if they tried to stop your dog attacking their animal

MoreCashThanDash

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

makes someone worried that it might injure them

That’s a little tough to prove in a court of law, but the next time the daft woman who owned the collie with it’s teeth attached to my shoe tells me “He’s just playing” I will remind her of her legal obligations with a little more authority than “Get your **** dog off me before I break it’s **** neck”

scandal42
    Free Member

Meh, the only time dogs bother me is when their **** owner doesn’t pick up.

Dogs on trails don’t really cause me concern any more than Squirrels

project
    Free Member

project – Member
    buy them some led flashing lights to attach to the collar or a flashing collar and a hi viz reflective bib for the owner so us cycle path cyclists can see you

If you can’t see people who are not wearing HiViz then either you’re going too fast or your lights aren’t as good as you think they are.

This thread sounds a bit like car drivers complaining about having to share the road with cyclists. If I meet loose dogs I slow down to a safe speed. There are plenty paths with few if any dogs so it’s no hardship slowing down when using the popular paths shared with dog walkers.

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

in all building sites warehousing and transport hi viz is compulsory, why should doggerists who walk on dark cycle tracks be immune, its not big and its not clever to make yourself almost invisible to other path users, along with uncontrolled doggies running out of the darkness into your lit field of view.

Drac

in all building sites warehousing and transport hi viz is compulsory, why should doggerists cyclistsists who walk ride on dark cycle tracks be immune, its not big and its not clever to make yourself almost invisible to other path users, along with uncontrolled doggies cycleistsists running riding out of the darkness into your lit field of view.

andyv
    Free Member

When the majority of cyclists read the highway code and obey the guidance therein, i’ll get my dog to do the same.

project
    Free Member

dogs cant read

Drac

Yes they can Big Dave says so.

mtbfix

dogs cant read

I don’t know about that. Leave my dog alone with a book and he’ll devour it.

scandal42
    Free Member

I beg to differ

aracer
    Free Member

I’m waiting for drivers to start the ball rolling.

ninfan
    Free Member

doggerists,

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMikaIYbFu8[/video]

Drac

I’m waiting for drivers to start the ball rolling.

I think we should go in order of who was here first. 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘dogs on shared use paths – the Highway Code says…’ is closed to new replies.