Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dog's ear infection causing a bit of a balance issue? Could it be serious?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

One of my dogs has got an ear infection. He’s had them in the past and they clear up after a few days with a bit of treatment.

This time it seems to be effecting his balance slightly, he’s not running and jumping quite as well as usual.

Should I be worried that it might something more serious? He’s quite happy and is still eating etc. Just carried his head over to 1 side a bit.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I assume you’ve been to the vets so what was their response? I’d therefore take their word for it…. unless its gotten worse since you went, in which case just give them a call?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I assume you’ve been to the vets so what was their response?

Not been to the vets yet. Only flared up yesterday, using the same treatment as the last time, it normally goes after 2 or 3 days.

Just never seen the “balance” thing before.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Did it come on suddenly? How old is the dog? Have a look at their eyes, are they drifting and flicking?

Our old boy had a couple of vestibular events which impacted his balance and caused him to hold his head one sided. He bounced back really well with some rest but had us worried for a while. At least we were aware for the second one so could help him a little better.

Drac

Not really serious but if course needs treat, ear infections cause balance issues. He’ll be feeling pretty groggy poor guy.

*not a vet*

jonahtonto
    Free Member

My old lab used to get ear infections a lot, probably from sticking her head underwater in murky swamps all the time. Occasionally she would tilt her head a bit, I would clean it with olive oil with a drop or two of lavender oil in it. Dogs ears have a 90 degree bend before the ear drum so you can get right in there with a jay cloth or similar.
    Would always clear up after a day or two but after 48hrs cleaning twice a day I would take her to the vet. Vet never did anything, just told me to clean it twice a day

mooman
    Free Member

Our dogs used to get canker, which often progressed to an ear infection quite often when they were young.
    We were recommended ‘Thornit’ powder … cleared it much faster than anything off the vet.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

not a vet

Close tho, eh? 😆

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well he’s a lot better today, back to himself, he seemed quite groggy on Saturday.

Still holding his head to one side but it’s obviously clearing up.

I have also ordered some of that “Thornit” powder, at the moment we use a liquid wash which I think is quite uncomfortable for him. The powder should be easier.

wwaswas

I’ve woken up with a hot itchy ear and the side of my face all swollen.

Your dog has my sympathy.

I’ve not fallen over yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dog's ear infection causing a bit of a balance issue? Could it be serious?’ is closed to new replies.