Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 196 total)
  • Dogs at trail centres. What's all that about then?
  • njee20
    Free Member

So long as the dog is well trained I don't see the problem.

That's the key element, and no one's going to put their hand up and say their dog is badly trained.

If you're on a bike, you can't remain properly in control of your dog. If it sees a child and runs up to bid a friendly hello you can't stop it. If said child is afraid of dogs it could be rather unpleasant for them.

IMO it's selfish, the speed of the dog is not the issue, they are, by and large, erratic and unpredictable.

MSP

Unfortunately I do think this is an issue where the dog owners who take them are oblivious to the nuisance they cause.

Lucas
    Free Member

Some tracks could be made bike only, and signed as that however…

Unless it's a marshalled track etc then you can never ride full on without allowing for soemthign to be in the way. The fat-padded-up-middle-aged-middle-manager-STWer who left before you could have stopped on a corner for a energy bar!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The fat-padded-up-middle-aged-middle-manager-STWer who left before you could have stopped on a corner for a energy bar!

😆

Dougal
    Free Member

Lucas +1.

My dog hates Glentress, all those mincers get in the way of her flow.

glenp
    Free Member

njee20, that's more or less an argument against having a dog off the lead at any time. Which isn't really going to happen in the countryside.

Usually if you give a dog a job (running behind your bike being a good one) they will stay focussed on that job. There are no 100%'s in life, but I would say that a dog is at least as likely to remain focussed on what you want him to do if you are leading him on a bike as any other activity.

It is easier to keep your dog's attention cycling than it is just walking, in other words.

Lucas
    Free Member

glenp +1

My dog is well trained (but as you point out I would say that), he's well trained for walking, running and biking. When out for a walk he loves to go and say hello to other dogs, BUT he will wait behind me until I say 'go and say hello' and then off he goes. When running and biking he generally ignores other people and dogs and if he does want to go then he waits until I say he can.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I take Zed my black lab to Glentress sometimes, only when it's not busy though and I tend to stay on the blue bits just to keep out of the way of anyone fast there though. Cheeky bugger always beats me in the really twisty bits, he is trained, well behaved and loves it…actually I think I might take him next week now you mention it

grumm
    Free Member

njee20, that's more or less an argument against having a dog off the lead at any time. Which isn't really going to happen in the countryside.

So what are you saying, it's fair enough for people to let their dogs off the lead, even if they are badly trained and they aren't in control of them?

I've more than once seen people in the Lakes with a dog chasing after sheep off the lead, with them making lame efforts to stop him and laughing about how he's 'a bit feisty' or whatever

njee20
    Free Member

njee20, that's more or less an argument against having a dog off the lead at any time

But on a bike you have more to concentrate on than if you're walking. I feel the same about people who ride horses with dogs if it's any consolation?!

mangatank
    Free Member

My dog hates Glentress, all those mincers get in the way of her flow.

okay okay okay, let me rephrase the word 'flow':

'While riding up a series of sharp hairpins towards the top of the trail, I found it slightly distracting to find a dog repeatedly scampering back and forth, in front and behind me (flow..there I said it again!)'

glenp
    Free Member

I didn't say that! Blimey, the STW one extreme to the other filter is working then.

All I said was you can only ever get 100% control for 100% of dogs for 100% of the time if you you don't let them out in public. Which is obviously not going to happen.

So – well trained dogs under control then. Which means giving the dog some focus, like running behind your bike for example.

I'm sure you can wildly misinterpret that if you try hard.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its all about how well trained the dog is from the point of view of folk like me who don't like dogs.

Njee – a well trained dog can easily be controlled from a rider on their bike. A well trained dog is not erratic and unpreedictable

I have seen well trained dogs at trail centres. They were certainly keeping up with an outpacing their owners and being no problem to anyone else

Thats the key thing. If your dog does not bother me than its fine that it was there. Neither getting in my way or pooping everywhere.

Mangatank. That dog was not properly trained then.

grumm
    Free Member

All I said was you can only ever get 100% control for 100% of dogs for 100% of the time if you you don't let them out in public. Which is obviously not going to happen.

You can let them out in public, but if you can't control them properly (which many people can't) they should be on a lead.

Everyone claims their dog is well trained but I bet if they are being honest there are occasions when it's not well behaved at all.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Tollah !! Your dogs a "niche hound" that dig holes in single speeders little patch of grass. I assume you mean the mad dog ?

glenp
    Free Member

Well, I know. My dog is young yet and most of the time she is on a lead because she will tear off hunting, which is not under control. I'm not sure of your point.

If your point is only let you dog off the lead if it well under control (especially around bikes) then I fully agree. I'm only adding that giving a dog a job can help you to control it, not hinder.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

how about using that little know/used thing……………………..

Common sense 😯

neninja
    Free Member

Too many dog owners who assume everyone loves their dog as much they do.

I hate dogs licking me or jumping up 'only saying hello and being friendly'. I get particularly cross if they do it to my kids who naturally being little folk can get frightened or their clothes dirty from paw prints and slobber.

I'm sick to death of the dog mess on the public spaces round here too.

Given a chance I would see a law that ALL dogs in public places are on a lead.

There are a large minority of dog owners who are selfish and love their dogs so much they are blind to the reality that they can be a nuisance.

Rant over

Coyote
    Free Member

I agree 100% with TJ.

Coyote
    Free Member

I also agree with neninja!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Crikey some of you get wound up a bit, so what if you have to stop for a dog?

Does it really ruin your ride?

Maybe I'm just too chilled for my own good and need to take my riding more seriously.

midgebait
    Free Member

neninja, don't be such a big-girls blouse!

njee20
    Free Member

Njee – a well trained dog can easily be controlled from a rider on their bike

I did caveat my original post by saying it's totally dependant on the dog.

I hate dogs licking me or jumping up 'only saying hello and being friendly'. I get particularly cross if they do it to my kids who naturally being little folk can get frightened or their clothes dirty from paw prints and slobber.

There are a large minority of dog owners who are selfish and love their dogs so much they are blind to the reality that they can be a nuisance.

Rant over

+1 to all of that I have to say. I know there are some very well trained dogs out there, but most aren't, and a lot of owners are blind to it IMO. That's everyone tarred with the same brush nicely!

mangatank
    Free Member

Mangatank. That dog was not properly trained then

It was a very good natured dog to be fair. love dogs in fact, but I've also been bitten twice while riding (not trail centres) and only yesterday I was pursued by a lab at full pelt. you should have seen my flow then, I tell you 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

njee – which is why its daft to say there should be a blanket ban on dogs!

Some MTBers are inconsiderate clowns – shuld all MTBers be banned?

neninja
    Free Member

Before anyone says I'm a dog hater I'm not – until a few years ago I had a dog. A dog which was kept on a lead and controlled properly in public places.

I got driven mad by the number of times dogs attacked him or jumped all over me trying to get to him. People would be surprised and take offence when told to control their dogs.

We eventually had to carry a stick when walking him due to the sheer number of occasions that 'friendly' Labradors, Alsatians etc off the lead tried to take a lump out of him.

neninja, don't be such a big-girls blouse!

You just have to be the owner of a 'friendly' dog

glenp
    Free Member

Some MTBers are inconsiderate clowns – shuld all MTBers be banned?

Nicely put. This is actually the genuinely held belief of quite a lot of non-cycling folk, the biggest land owner in the Surrey Hills included (as far as I can judge) – comes as quite an irony that a cyclist should hod such a narrow view on another topic!

njee20
    Free Member

We rant about car drivers, but no one's going to say/think they're a terrible driver. Because they're a common foe it's alright.

It's the same with dog owners/walkers, no one's gonna say "oh yeah, I take my dog with me, he's horrific, sh1ts on the path, licks everyone's face and will chase any body who comes near". There's just not the 'camaraderie' against dog owners, it's split loyalty.

hora
    Free Member

Dogs on trail centre trails? No. On Bridleways/natural trails- fine.

Its for mountain biking not showing off that you can get your dog to run off a lead with you.

Sorry. No matter how many people say their dog is trained/well behaved it is a animal after all.

Its an animal/livestock. Sorry they are for mountain bike use not lifestyle showing off.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Sorry they are for mountain bike use not lifestyle showing off.

Mountain biking at trail centres is just lifestyle showing off.

midgebait
    Free Member

You just have to be the owner of a 'friendly' dog

Nope, I'm the owner of a crap dog which I keep under close control even though it's unlikely to harass other people. It sounds like you've been unlucky as I've never had another dog jump up at me.

Sorry they are for mountain bike use not lifestyle showing off.

Lifestyle! It's going for a flipping bike ride. I didn't know it's a lifestyle choice?

A bit of perspective please. We're talking about dogs, not the four horsemen of the apocolypse.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I've ridden on man made trails and natural trails with some very fast dogs, focused on the business of following their owners, and some slower ones trying to do the same.

The faster ones like to stop dead centre on the trail to wait on their owners, invariably this happens to be on the downslope of a drop you are coming off or just as you are approaching them. Or they will swerve from one side of the trail to the other, usually the part you want to be on, or they will dart past you on the inside of fast corner etc etc..

I've seen the slower ones run between the wheels of their owners bikes, and at a fair old clip.

I like dogs, but not on designated trails or downhill runs/faster technical trails. Doesn't matter how well trained your dog is, he doesn't understand english and he can't comprehend how much of a bloody danger and distraction he is.

Swerving to avoid another person on the trail is one thing, but I'd feel pretty guilty if someone was seriously injured swerving to avoid my dog.

terrahawk
    Free Member

More rules, that's what we need.
    🙄

grumm
    Free Member

I've never had another dog jump up at me.

What, on or off the bike? I refuse to believe that. It's happened to me countless times off the bike and few times on the bike.

midgebait
    Free Member

What, on or off the bike? I refuse to believe that. It's happened to me countless times off the bike and few times on the bike.

Nope, never. Only the pathetic lump that I call my dog! Perhaps I smell funny?

user-removed
    Free Member

My dog doesn't get to come with me to my (very rare) trips to trail centres because he's a bit crap at keeping up, poor lad. He does come with me on less intense, slower rides because I can stop frequently to let him catch up.

I've seen collies and spaniels at GT and Whinlatter keeping up with their owners no problem – not in anyone's way. If it jumps up and licks you in the face it's only dog aids, no need to cry about it.

hora
    Free Member

Can you vouch that you control your dog 100% of the time he or she is off the lead? I'd be interested in the answer 🙄

user-removed – your assuming that you are the fastest rider on the trail as well? What if someone comes up behind you to overtake? How do you recall your dog?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Rant over

I quite like dogs and I don't generally mind them jumping up at me, but I still agree with most of this. When a human jumps all over you "just being friendly" it's called molestation, is it not?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes the worst part is people shouting "Ooo, he's only saying hello!" If I started saying hello by spitting in someones face and punching them, I sincerely doubt people would think it cute!

midgebait
    Free Member

Can you vouch that you control your dog 100% of the time he or she is off the lead? I'd be interested in the answer

100%, no. 100% is a lot and there's not much I can say that I do 100% of the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 196 total)

The topic ‘Dogs at trail centres. What's all that about then?’ is closed to new replies.