Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dogs and riding
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve been talking the bike out when I walk the dog and having lots of fun but anyone got any ideas on how I can stop the dog running in front and train her to run behind me – Had a few sketchy close calls on steeps and fast sections where the dog like to stop when I can’t 😉

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i think you need to hit the dog with the bike a few times to teach it…. that’s how you train dogs isn’t it?!?

that was a joke by the way, before dogtrackworld tries lynching me 😯

sandwicheater

Spent weeks with ours training her to ride with me.

Was lucky in that ours will do anything for food.

Found a seldom used path. Road with the dog on my left with food in my hand at walking pace saying ‘heal’. She now knows ‘heal’ is to get on my left at or around my back wheel regardless if we are stopped or moving.

Then the ‘back’ command which was a bit more awkward. Similar process but to get her to run behind me when we are moving.

We have a release command, ‘go on’, which means she can go like the clappers in front of me. That was taught off the bike while throwing sticks. She will heal until we give her the release command.

Basically, practise, praise, treats (damn it, wanted another P)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I might give that a go, she’s got a slight independent streak in her so will see how I get on.

So far I’ve trained her to run as fast as she can when I say “Go, go go!”

It seems to work but I’d like to be able to have her drop back so will be working on that.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^°°

mattbibbings
    Free Member

As in… What sandwicheater said

Sandwich

A stern “Move-it” get Huxley out of the way when he’s stopped in the narrowest section of the trail yet again.

mattbee

My dog had his bum buzzed by my front tyre a few times when we first started. He now sticks on my back wheel on climbs and pootly bits & only goes in from on faster bits to race me. He’s learned to step off the trail and let me past when I get too close to his rear end.
    We use ‘back’ as his recall word all the time, his cue to go fast is ‘are you racing?’ In a pretend spouse accent…

onehundredthidiot

Hup-hup gets mine out of the way, he usually positions himself for the best line through fast stuff but defaults to “hot breath on my calf” the rest of the time (which can be freaky on night rides). He overtakes other riders off line.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Depends on the dog surely? Like, cattle/herding dogs will weave? I don’t know ours is still new to us and not sure with other dogs – far too excitable right now and doesn’t come back on command but is getting there, slowly.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Walk him but push your bike, when he walks in front keep pushing the bike so it hits him, he won’t get hurt because your not on the bike but after a few bumps he will get the message. I can walk mine on the lead next to the bike.

stomlinson
    Free Member

You just need a faster gnarlier dog, like mine! They say dogs are like their owners 😆

bellys
    Free Member

Tried. With are dalmation and he was a pain at 1st but after time he got in to it if I shut go he runs like the clappers in front but most of the time his by my side or on rear wheel..I. Used a long rope lead to get him stay by my side. Don’t need it now. The little bugger is fast as hell when he takes off..

onehundredthidiot

Yeah mine pins his ears back when he hears the freehub and hates being overtaken.

GolfChick
    Free Member

‘Get on’ means speed up and ‘steady’ means slow down…both default to move out of the way when she knows I’ll be faster than her. A few very gentle buzzes soon taught her that the tyres are to be avoided but we were teaching her those words right from day one even just walking so it was already trained in.

Onzadog
    Free Member

“left left left” and “right right right” were useful comands when Bailey was still young enough to run with the bike. But that’s only because he liked to run ahead. After being buzzed a couple of times, he worked out what was a good distance to keep.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dogs and riding’ is closed to new replies.