Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dog walking waterproofs – advice needed
  • stany
    Free Member

I need a set of waterproof jacket and trousers for the 3x daily dog walks, and I’m baffled by the amount of choice.
    I need something 100% waterproof. I’m currently using my Endura MT500 Burner jacket and technopants. Both are perfect in light showers but will breach within an hour of a heavy drop.
    It’s gotta be wind proof & reasonably lightweight. I walk the dog to work, and home 9hrs later and most days it’ll only rain on one of the walks, so something I can bundle into my bag. I don’t need anything thermal as I’m happy to layer up, and they’ll be needed in summer as well as winter.
    A hood. Pockets.
    Budget around £300.
    I had a look at the Ellis Brigham site to fish for ideas but that’s just led to more confusion.
    Any users with advice?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

military goretex.

jam-bo

Arcteryx jackets on sport pursuit.

CraigW
    Free Member

Helly Hansen workwear. 100% waterproof, and not too expensive.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

+1 Military Gore Tex. Hugely impressed with my RAF coat (grade 2, £15) and trousers (grade 1, £15) from
    http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/trousers/raf-wet-weather-goretex-trousers-686938.html
    http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/jackets/raf-goretex-jacket-grade-1-1123352.html

Neither look like they’ve ever been worn. The jacket has a zip out warm liner but no hood.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

For my dog Walking duties I have paramo. The Quito jacket also doubles up as my winter biking jacket, gets a bit to hot for high activity summer work though it’s fine for walking in. For the pants I use the velez, great and hard wearing.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Paramo waterproof jacket and cascada trousers….dead easy to maintain and clean particularly with dirty dog rubbing round your ankles.

stany
    Free Member

Ta, will keep researching.
    SimonS – what’s the difference between grade 1 & 2? There might be a budget of x but I’d be more than happy to spend y

allfankledup

I got a north face goretex pro jacket from their outlet in Ellesmere Port for. £130

Bargain IMHO

joshvegas
    Free Member

Raf goretex trousers.

There is zero reason to spend anymore.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Those RAF jackets don’t have hoods though?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Rohan?

TheWrongTrousers

Army surplus Goretex. Only problem I found is that the hoods of the jackets are huge, presumably designed to be worn over a helmet ?

user-removed
    Free Member

And the military stuff is pretty bulky and far from lightweight. .. Totally brilliant though.

epicyclo

Walking? A good umbrella – the most breathable rain protection you can get.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Misread this as ‘dog wanting waterproofs’.

joshvegas
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    Walking? A good umbrella – the most breathable rain protection you can get.
    POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

depends. in edinburgh youd be walking your dog with a broken umbrella.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I straddle the paramo goretex divide, Paramo Quito jacket and British Army goretex trousers for heavy/persiant rain. I also have Howies Epic jeans for other times.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tries to stay out of this…

onehundredthidiot

Keela kit is good. Military gortex is cheap enough to be replaced often.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

replaced often???
    I still have well used military gortex that was second hand over 10yrs ago and its still in very good shape today, a comment earlier said about military goretex being ‘heavy’ this is deffo not my experience of it.

dudeofdoom

I wear my desert Camo when the weathers dire – Its great stuff…

@thewrongtrousers – yep the hoods work better over a helmet – probably the only downside to them when you don’t have a helmet is they are humungous…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Grade 2 is supposedly showing some signs of wear but mine wasn’t. It’s not lightweight fabric but it’s tough and you’re walking not riding.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dog walking waterproofs – advice needed’ is closed to new replies.