Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Dog (un) Friendly shops
  • highclimber
    Free Member

The other day, we’d been out with the pooch for a walk and on the way back we remembered we needed some hinges so called at our local B&Q. It was about 22 deg (according to my car’s thermometer) so I wasn’t going to leave the dog in the car. Fully prepared to chain him up outside I quickly realised there was nothing that he couldn’t drag away to attach him to. Given there was no sign on the door say ‘no dogs’ I assumed it would be ok to take him in. No sooner had I got over the threashold one of their ‘experts’ piped up (i don’t know where he came from) “sorry no dogs allowed”. I pointed out there was nothing appropriate to chain him to and I wasn’t going to leave him in the car and asked why not. A genuine question as in my mind there’s no obvious reason a dog isn’t allowed in – it’s not a restaurant nor does it have one in it. He responded with the classic cliche “‘elf n safety”.
    I’ve never really understood people’s objections to allowing dogs to enter certain premises like this example. It almost always seems rather arbitrary. Pubs are particularly prescriptive

Should there be better provision for dog owners?

I might start a petition – who’ll sign it?

molgrips
    Free Member

He responded with the classic cliche “‘elf n safety”.

Ask about the risk assessment?

If there’s been a risk assessment and dogs found to be a risk in the store, then surely they are in breack of H&S law by not advertising it?

grievoustim
    Free Member

I expect it’s the poo on the floor they don’t like

I like dogs by the way, and I’m sure yours wouldn’t have done – but I understand why employees on minimum wage don’t want to add “cleaning up after dogs” to their to do list

molgrips
    Free Member

Is a dog pooing in a shop a real risk?

I don’t like dogs particularly, but even I don’t think that’s likely!

My daughter pissed all over the floor in a display tent in Go Outdoors a few months back. If toddlers are allowed so should dogs be 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

Ask about the risk assessment?

I was going to but I had to bite my tongue on account my other half was giving me the daggers for having the cheek to even ask him why so. She decided to wait outside with him leaving me with the unenviable task of trying to get the right product!

gwaelod
    Free Member

Its their store..if they don’t want to allow dogs, koalas and aubergines in they don’t have to.

Unless of course its an assistance dog in which case they’d be in breach of the disability act.

highclimber
    Free Member

I expect it’s the poo on the floor they don’t like

I highly doubt this is the reason though I wouldn’t be surprised if it was something as silly as that!

molgrips
    Free Member

my other half

Oh.. blimey.. there were two of you? I’d have not even considered taking the dog in, personally.

nano
    Free Member

This isn’t anything new. Most of the chains (DIY or otherwise) have had a no dogs except guide dogs policy for years (there used to notices on the doors of the shops I worked in back in the 80’s), long before the health & safety ‘culture’ took over.

Can’t remember what the reason was that dogs were banned for TBH, but based on the fact that we used to get customers using fitting rooms and aisles as a toilet at times I guess dogs might have been banned for the same reason.

Take your point tho’ OP; shouldn’t be that hard to provide somewhere for for you to tie up your pooch and if it’s hot and sunny maybe some water too.

highclimber
    Free Member

Its their store..if they don’t want to allow dogs, koalas and aubergines in they don’t have to.

I appreciate this but should they not take into account that on a hot day on a weekend, there’s bound to be people with dogs etc and should at least provide something secure to attach them to and maybe a bowl of water?

highclimber
    Free Member

Oh.. blimey.. there were two of you?

Yes but she wanted to look at something too

wwaswas

maybe a bowl of water

seriously?

My view is that any dog owner that needs to rely on a DIY store to get water for their dog is the one with the problem, not the shop.

chrismac

Highclimber

Why should a store provide somewhere for yor dog to wait? They probably assume that, with the exception of guide dogs, people dont bring dogs shopping. I dont think I have ever seen a dog in a shop, certainly never in the ones I sepnt 5 years working in.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I took our puppy into Wickes with permission last year and she peed on the floor – the staff were great and I just cleaned it up with some of those blue paper towels they gave me

highclimber
    Free Member

I don’t have a problem with them not providing water. it would just be nice and all that!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Apparently my kids took our dog into Costa with permission last week – which I did find surprising

paladin

If dogs aren’t allowed in, neither should kids! And folk should get a proficiency test with trolleys before being allowed to use them.

njee20
    Free Member

seriously?

My view is that any dog owner that needs to rely on a DIY store to get water for their dog is the one with the problem, not the shop.

Nail… head…

Leave the bloody dog at home, not their job to accommodate. Should they provide snacks for children too? Ridiculous.

I doubt it would have suffered if you’d left it in the car for 5 minutes, or just go in one after the other.

bencooper
    Free Member

I have a few customers with dogs – never bothered me.

djglover
    Free Member

There should be better provision for dog owners. I suggest the Isle of Sheppey.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Should’ve explained that your dog had come along to show you the right sort of roller you need for some urgent DIY, and he couldn’t describe which one was required given that he’s a dog and dogs can’t talk.

highclimber
    Free Member

I doubt it would have suffered if you’d left it in the car for 5 minutes

you’re not a dog owner are you?

winston
    Free Member

If he’d been an Old English Sheepdog you would have been fine

project
    Free Member

From experience its not dogs, its the owners they should ban, you walk round a corner looking for a fufu valve or a glass hammer and thetre in isle 6 is a dog turd abg hanging up, no barcode, no descripotion and when you get to the self service checkout you just know the till will say “UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA”

Certain late night shops also have an isle where customers go interior dogging, nothing to explicit,just a subtle wink or a smile, and chat or exchange of details then out into the car park

gobuchul
    Free Member

In Italy and France dogs aren’t considered a problem. YOu often see people in shops and even in restaurants with them.

Another thing, any pubs that don’t allow dogs or have their own dog are generally shit.

Drac

I dont think I have ever seen a dog in a shop, certainly never in the ones I sepnt 5 years working in.

Really? Seen loads of dogs in shops and I’ve never worked in one.

Shame a DIY store didn’t have some sort of hook they could set up to fasten dogs outside with.

duner
    Free Member

I had a dog poo on the floor of the shop I work in. The owner hadn’t noticed. I just handed him some spray and some paper towels without saying a word.

iolo
    Free Member

I was in B&Q Tuesday and there was definitely a dog tied up outside as I stopped to say hello and stroke it

highclimber
    Free Member

Shame a DIY store didn’t have some sort of hook they could set up to fasten dogs outside with.

The employee suggested I tied him to a wheeled trolley full of plants. He clearly wasn’t a dog owner.

sweepy
    Free Member

The go outdoor near us welcomes dogs, and puts down water and even nibbles for them too.

Were there any signs or was it just a lying nob- health and safety my arse.

highclimber
    Free Member

The go outdoor near us welcomes dogs,

Most outdoor shops I’ve visited are happy to allow dogs in so long as they’re not sopping wet or like to piss on stuff.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

You just have to accept some places will and some won’t, our dog goes pretty much everywhere with us, we are sometimes surprised by places that do allow them in.
    I do find pubs that shout about how traditional they are not allowing them in a p1ss take, it’s a basic human right for a man to take his dog to the pub.

AlasdairMc

I just work my life around the dog. If it’s hot, dog doesn’t come out with me if I need to go anywhere. If it’s not, she’s fine in the car for a short time. I don’t see why dogs should be allowed in every shop as if it’s a God given right for them to be there.

However, I draw the line at tying her up outside anywhere. Too many of her breed have been nicked so I just wouldn’t risk it.

highclimber
    Free Member

it’s a basic human right for a man to take his dog to the pub.

I really wish for the to be true.

If it’s hot, dog doesn’t come out with me if I need to go anywhere.

We didn’t go out with the intention of going to B&Q it was just on our way – we’d normally leave him at home too but we went out for him to have a walk

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d have taken it in turns tbh, rather than risk it. People can be funny sometimes.

Dog tethers outside are very common in the US I think, along with water bowls. People don’t want them being left in cars.

chewkw
    Free Member

Firstly, the employee is a tool for quoting H&S.

Secondly, the employee is a jobworth when it comes to common sense.

Thirdly, it is not as if the dog and the owner will go berserk in the shop humping everything in sight is it …

🙄

rene59
    Free Member

They won’t let me in with my horse either, ****.

highclimber
    Free Member

Thirdly, it is not as if the dog and the owner will go berserk in the shop humping everything in sight is it

I can only guarantee the dog won’t on account he’s a castrato!

andyl
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take my dog into b&q. Too many sharp and heavy things that could be knocked over onto her and its not her I worry about doing it, Its the bloody morons you get in there. You have enough of a hard time watching out for people pulling bits of wood out of racks and trying to take your head off or people lifting things then realising its too heavy for them and Knocking you out of the way in the rush to get to their trolley. I could leave our spaniel sat outside not tied to anything and she would still be there when I came out but I wouldn’t as I know other people would interfere with her doing what she was a told.

You soon learn which places you can go to. White stuff and fat face are fantastic with dogs. Bike in Bristol fine with them too. We get bowls of water from the staff at browns when eating outside with the dog and all the pubs we go to on the mendips are fine with dogs, even if they serve food.

chewkw
    Free Member

rene59 – Member

They won’t let me in with my horse either, ****.

If you ride a horse then decide to bring it into the store then you need to become a better tool. Nobody rides a horse now as form of transport everyone use other means of transportation. Are you a secrete cowboy? 😆

highclimber – Member
    I can only guarantee the dog won’t on account he’s a castrato!

My castrato dog would hump my leg as a form of greetings everyday when I got back from school in my teen. Yes, he could. :mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Dog (un) Friendly shops’ is closed to new replies.