Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dog training treats
  • z1ppy

Got a 7 month old rescue mutt, & are trying clicker training… It involves lots of treats. He’s only a small/medium dog, so the pick n’ mix selection from Pet @ Home, which we currently use (35p for 100g) are a bit big, and probably boring. Anyone got a recommendation for a cost effective & small, dog treats?

theotherjonv

Primula cheese spread, a cm at a time out of the tube.

z1ppy

Ahh yes, we found that out, it’s great stuff till you get a dog burb in your face…cheesey!
    Cheers, but also need something to supliment that through the day on walks, as it must be quite rich

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scunny
    Free Member

Tin of cheap hotdogs, maybe 40p? One tin can be cut into maybe 200 tasty mouthfulls.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

You can make your own liver cake recipe
    we managed to train a spaniel with these – just by getting the container out she started to behave

GolfChick
    Free Member

cheddar cheese cut up into cubes or the hot dog sausages cut up into chunks. We were lucky when Ziva was young and the neighbour worked at the arboretum in the kitchen and brought home left over turkey from the roasts for the day.

z1ppy

Cheers all, though I’m hoping to find a buscuit type treat, as hot dog sausages are slimy nasty things!
    May try the liver cake, if I can manage to deal with liver <shudders>

allfankledup

We use frolics as a treat for our giant schnauzer. The frolics break up into about 4 pieces fairly easily.

The reviews of content of a Frolic are not massively favourable, but the dog can’t read yet. More frolics required to sort that one

Alpha1653

Be careful with liver cake: it works wonders as a training treat but by God, the dog could clear the room for about 24 hours afterwards.

Whatever you use, keep it varied otherwise the dog will get bored and stop trying to work out what you want it to do!

chakaping
    Free Member

Ham is our dog’s treat of choice.

andyl
    Free Member

Coachies – about £1 per 100g and nice and small and low calorie.

But gradually eek it out – ie when first training feed ever time. Then every other and so on to reduce the treat intake and stop their behaviour being dependant on treats.

The Police use a ball as the ‘reward’ which I like.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I buy liver, put it in the blender with some flour or rice and then spread it out on a baking tray on/top of grease proof paper. Bake until firm.

Cheap as you like and the dogs love it. It’s stinks when you’re making it though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dog training treats’ is closed to new replies.