• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dog Tracking
  • salsaboy

One of my hounds is increasingly prone to running off when walking in the local woods.
    He always returns, but when he is ready for home, not when I want to.
    I’m thinking of getting a tracker for him.

Has anyone got any experience or tips on what to get?

jam-bo

A lead. 😉

km79
    Free Member

Or training.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    salsaboy

🙄

kormoran
    Free Member

Chocolate in the pocket works well.

Is he after something specific he can smell in the woods? Is it possible to go elsewhere for a bit? There could be a bitch on heat he is picking up

CheesybeanZ

If he is actually a hound then your lucky he comes back at all .

seosamh77
    Free Member

salsaboy – Member
    tips on what to get?

Some dog training lessons?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Dog Strava. 😈

aracer
    Free Member

A tracker will help you know where he is – I’m not sure how it’s going to help getting him to come back. What exactly is the point of a dog tracker?

neilwheel
    Free Member

It’s for when you dog gets stolen.

hedley
    Free Member

Can’t help with a tracker but to help facilitate the return of a dog to a command, pref Acme dog whistle rather than shouting as it travels further which you need with hounds 😉 buy tins of cheap hot dogs, cut into cubes and train the hell out of it so that every time it comes to your whistle it gets a treat.

Then take this training from the house/garden to outside. The hot dogs (cheese is another good option) are high value treats that a dog will want to return to. Trying it with biscuits or some other low value treat doesn’t have quite the same effect.

You need something that the dog wants more than running off for an explore/chase.

Sorry if you’ve already tried all this.

matt_outandabout

A lead

+1
    Sorry, but a dog that won’t respond to a command he doesn’t feel like obeying sounds like a dog that might cause issues – no matter how soft and cuddly he is to you – and while he is out of sight you are still responsible for him.

z1ppy

pref Acme dog whistle rather than shouting as it travels further which you need with hounds buy tins of cheap hot dogs, cut into cubes and train the hell out of it so that every time it comes to your whistle it gets a treat

+1, Our hound & his new partner in crime are being introduced to this, don’t try using the whistle to bring them back, just whistle when you give them the treat, so that they start to associate the whistle with the treat.
    As for “more training”, nope ours has been trained from the beginning of our ownership (obedience and now agility to try to wear him out), but he a hound and this is a hounds job to hunt, so that what he does. TBH he’s never far away and we use a falconry bell to keep track of him.

oh or try these GPS trackers, that were suggested to us when he was younger and worse..
    http://www.retrievatracking.com/

Landing page

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m actually selling a Falconry Tracker for a mate, can’t see why it wouldn’t work on a hound. Clip the transmitter to the collar & away you/or the dog goes.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-sports-leisure/falconry-tracking-system/1268322469

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

We bought a tracca and a SIM card that roams across networks . Works really well but the waterproof rubber shroud that attaches it to the dig collar is very flimsy and needs a couple of zip ties attached to it to stop it falling out.

https://m.facebook.com/traccauk/?locale2=en_GB

A lot of the dog gps trackers are pretty limited and only work if there’s a 3G data connection – the tracca also works by text where there’s no data service which combined with the roaming network sim meant it pretty much works everywhere.

DezB
    Free Member

Chocolate in the pocket works well.

Is he after something specific he can smell in the woods

This person has never owned a Pointer!

I got one of those Tiles – I was going to attach it to the dog’s collar, but she grew out of the running off and getting lost thing. Took til she was 5 or 6.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dog Tracking’ is closed to new replies.