• This topic has 49 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by simmy.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Dog running costs
  • Drac

Our last Lab cost us £1.2k over 11 years ago after being ran over, our current Border Terrier swallowed a bouncy ball and cost us best part of £800. We’ve had him 4 year so really would have worked out the same but we didn’t have the savings so hit us hard at the time.

richc
    Free Member

My lab could be left with a plate of food on the floor in front of her for 5 minutes when I as out of the room without touching it. She might drool all over it, but wouldn’t take it until I gave her the command. That takes a lot of training however – another way to tire them out and means they chew less as well.

Not sure I agree about teaching them out of stealing food, mine will wait in a room alone for a really long time (30 mins +) with his food in a bowl if he’s told to leave it and won’t take it until I (and only I) says “go on”, and if I forget he will give up after tens of minutes and go back to his bed to wait. However leave him in a position where he can steal food and nobody is around and he grabs it.

Our last Lab cost us £1.2k over 11 years ago after being ran over, our current Border Terrier swallowed a bouncy ball and cost us best part of £800. We’ve had him 4 year so really would have worked out the same but we didn’t have the savings so hit us hard at the time.

Our second lab cost the best part of £2K, as she was starved and had a damaged tail, so we ended up having nearly weekly vet visits and a bit of pipe insulation taped to her tail.

Insurance is well worth it.

Houns

Say hello to Oscar

We went to visit the litter/Mum/house/owner last week. We decided whilst there to actually go ahead and have one and this little fella I particulary took a shine too, and he did with me.
    He’ll be ready to come home in a couple of weeks, I can’t wait!

Jamie
    Free Member

Christ. Someone buy Houns a decent camera.

Oh, and very cute.

…the puppy’s not too bad either.

Houns

Aww shucks……
    😳

It was Miss Houns iPhone in a badly lit room, didn’t want to use the flash so had to fanny around with editing

sandwicheater

Houns is Mark Lamarr and I claim my £5.

Pup looks ace.

Houns

How dare you!

Sui
    Free Member

does anyone use the Vac4Life – £99 lifetime vaccinations thing – i don;t get how they run this so cheap??

Inbred456
    Free Member

We had a female Choccy Lab and she cost us a small Fortune at the Vets. Don’t forget you’ll normally have an excess even with insurance. She would eat anything. Do not give them hide chews as they just greedily swallow them hole and then it’s a trip to the Vets. Even with a good pedigree the odds of them having hip and joint problems is in my opinion just to high these days. I can see a time when insurance won’t cover these types of problems. Can be prone to epilepsy as well as we found out. If that hasn’t put you off then go for it cos they are the best natured most obedient and loyal dog we have ever had and not a day goes bye when I don’t miss her.

simmy
    Free Member

does anyone use the Vac4Life – £99 lifetime vaccinations thing – i don;t get how they run this so cheap??

My older Lab has this cover as my Mate bought it when he owned him and, despite me using another vets now, I still have his boosters done at the original place.

I think they run it as a loss leader and try to flog Dentals, Flea Treatment etc when you go for the booster.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Dog running costs’ is closed to new replies.