Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Dog Ownership – Identichip
  • shadthebad
    Free Member

We jointly bought a puppy a few years ago. After about 8 months the puppy was micro chipped by a vet who she knows, as she had previously worked there. I never saw any “paperwork” about this. Things haven’t worked out for us and now she is claiming ownership of the dog as the chip is registered in her name.

What are your thoughts on the legal ownership of the dog?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bollocks. You’ll have to decide that between you.

shadthebad
    Free Member

That’s the exact word I used when she explained her view on it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Basically…who paid for it? Who walks it? Who picks up its shit? Who pays its vet bills? Tbh, you could probably just dognap it and noone could do anything about it. You probably also have a good idea of who the dog would be happier with so go with that for now.

shadthebad
    Free Member

This is part of the problem. We split the purchase cost, we both walk it at different times, we’re both responsible dog owners and we split the vet & food bills too.

The dog can’t split it either!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Looks like joint ownership then. Can’t you do one week on, one week off? You get all the fun of having a dog but with every second week off.

donsimon
    Free Member

Where do you think, honestly think, the dog will be better off? Base your decision on the dog’s needs and not your own. It’s a hard decison to make, I know.
    Good luck with whatever.

theman
    Free Member

The dog can’t split it either!

Tell that to King Solomon.

godzilla
    Free Member

It’s an indentichip not an ownership document, who has the dog now?

shadthebad
    Free Member

DD, I’d be more than happy with that sort of situation, but that would require compliance by both parties!

Godzilla, we’re both still in the shared house so the dog is with both of us. It’s come to a head as I move out on Saturday.

godzilla
    Free Member

In reality can she look after it better than you? have you got a home/time for it, has she?

shadthebad
    Free Member

Yep, we’ll both have homes for it with large gardens and the she gets lots of exercise from both of us.

Like DD said, I’d be happy with a dog share situation and I think it’s the best solution for everyone.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Is this q for real? Genuine question.

donsimon
    Free Member

Like DD said, I’d be happy with a dog share situation and I think it’s the best solution for everyone.

Except the poor sod who won’t know whether it’s coming or going… Maybe look at re-homing?

shadthebad
    Free Member

Unfortunately it is a real question and the way we’ve done things does seem a bit unbelieveable, which is partly why it’s become such a difficult situation.

I have thought about re-homing. The dog is young and feels safe when she is with one of us. If she was out on a walk and got spooked, she’d run to one of us and not bolt for home. I think she would cope. If she didn’t then the situation would be looked at again.

Elmo
    Free Member

I think you just answered your own question.

If you would rather re-home the dog than let the dog stay with at least one of its companions. Force it into kennels then onto a strange home?! Then you’re not the responsible one you thought you were.

shadthebad
    Free Member

Elmo, I didn’t explain clearly enough in my previous post. The re-homing idea was dismissed as the dog would be better off with one of us, rather than non of us. If the dog share didn’t work for the dog, then one of us would keep the dog. I’m hoping it doesn’t go down that route as this is difficult enough as it is.

shadthebad
    Free Member

Thanks for your comments everyone, it helped and it’s appreciated.

Elmo
    Free Member

Sorry I’ll take back my comment as I know this is hard enough as it is.

I had this when my dog was about 8 months old.
    We shared the food bills and he wasn’t actually paid for as such, so that wasnt a consideration.
    But between you, you know who the dog is happier with. It’s like people who lie about not having a favourite child!

The dog is likely to be happier with one of you, and therefore better off.

Hope you can sort it.

iain1775
    Free Member

The chip will be in the dogs neck therefore She owns the front end and unfortunately you got short straw and own the rear end
    joking obviously it’s an ID tag not an ownership certificate, if that was the case our dog would have been sold with the old house as fittings and fixtures as we have never updated the info with whoever holds the register of these tags!
    YOu have to do whatever you jointly decide is in the best interest of the dog but remember it is a living creature not a possession

Brainflex

If your moving out, take the dog. She has the house, greedy woman.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Dog Ownership – Identichip’ is closed to new replies.