Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Dog owners – what's you're daily walking regime like?
  • dudeofdoom

I used to put my springers on a proper dog scooter wiv sled harnesses….

They used to love it running with me giving directions.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Remember a young pup needs out more often, almost hourly, even just to get them used to going outside. Ours is at 7 months and get a 10 mins first thing then 20 mins later in morning, then other 10 mins during the day, no real routine. He lets us know when he want out, plus he hs the run of the garden for playing. He still goes to the same spots in the garden he did from when he was 8 weeks old. Big garden so no real issues with this. He will get an 45 min walk a couple of nights a week, and an hour walk at weekend. These times will all go up as he is older as don’t want to knacker his hips at a young age. He will be up the hills when he is old enough. He is a Norwegian Buhund so is an active herding breed.

Del

field/welsh springer x.
    15-30mins in the morning.
    same at lunch.
    45 – 90 mins evening.
    that’s in the week, she’s in the office with me.
    w/e tends to be 90mins in the morning, 60 in the afternoon/evening, plus trail building if i’m up to something.

GolfChick
    Free Member

30 minutes minimum in the morning. She then sleeps all day like a trooper (I’ve IP camera checked) then evenings vary between a 3.8 mile run with me, minimum of an hours walk on a desperate evening (chucking it down and she hates the rain) but generally 1hr n half to 2 hours so tonight is a two hour night. Then at the weekends its a very minimum of a two hour walk both days which to me equates to just over 5 miles, otherwise she’ll join me on my 8 mile ride or a run. The two hours at the weekends is generally off lead and weeknights is a mix of on lead or off lead but i NEVER go to the same place two days in a row.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

An hour+ in the morning with both the terriers, through the woods, thickets, culverts and brambles, up hill and down dale. The Jack Russell finds “walks” boring so a bit of hunting and death needs to be included.
    After breakfast she’ll carry on hunting in the garden until she’s called in for her tea, while the Fell Terrier snoozes in the sun until I’m ready to take him out for another hour’s walk or a run. The worst thing that’s ever happened to him in nine years is not having a second walk one day, while the JR couldn’t give a toss.

willstaffs
    Free Member

1 year old German Pointer, 5 miles minimum a day all off lead with the occasional half hour on lead to the shops and back, he also comes to the cafe/pub, parents etc with me so is rarely not moving around! Doesn’t seem to tire him out, try to do frisbee, fetch, swimming and training with him as much as possible to work his mind rather than his legs as I don’t think they will ever run out of steam!

Can’t wait until he is old enough to come out on the bike with me so we can kill two activities in one!

willstaffs
    Free Member

Double post

rone

We have a Border Terrier…

• Morning – hoofed out the back door and he mooches around the garden for 15 minutes or so.
    • He then comes to work with me and we go for a 20 minute walk at lunch.
    • Evenings – 30 to 45 minute walk depending on weather.

Weekends – a 2 hour walk on each day.

He doesn’t need a great deal and is as happy sleeping under my desk as going for a walk.

He doesn’t like heat either so it tends to be shorter walks in summer, longer in winter.

We clearly share the same dog and routine. Heat is hated from our bitch.

However she does piss everywhere and want to chase everything which is a pain.

HansRey

Currently, my dog gets half an hour in the morning, 1-2 hours after work and another half hour before bed. That’s in addition to spending evenings at the dog park, weekends at the cottage where she’s off the lead and going to dog school.

The dog school is geared to educating the owner, not the dog. But, it tires her out all the same!

What I’ve understood is that it isn’t about the distance covered, but the level of stimulation, that will tire her. As such, I try to mix up the walks to include training, new places, games and the occasional visit to the dog park if she’s good.

cbike
    Free Member

People don’t walk dogs. They lie to everyone about how they empty them. It’s plain to see most are overweight and despite daily emptying in the park the dogs are still full of dog food and shit.

Bimbler
    Free Member

4 year old lurcher. Hour-ish in the morning, hour-ish in the evening. Weekends usually gets a 2 hour ish walk. Nearly all off the lead. Bit of tuggy at lunchtime 😛 Walks can be a bit shorter if the old tennis ball comes out, but we try and limit his exposure to the green spheres of much pleasure.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

We walk for 60-90 minutes every morning then about 30 minutes in the evenings. Morning walks are a mixture of running and swimming with other dogs or just walking and swimming if we don’t meet up.

The dog will adapt to you and as had been stated above, interact with the dog and you don’t have to walk it to exhaustion. Keep it stimulated and practice new things when possible to keep it engaged.

Our trainer said her dogs get 45min play and the same training each day and that’s all they need. They’ll adapt to your lifestyle, just keep them well trained and fed appropriately for a happy partnership.

benp1

People here definitely seem to walk their dogs more than most folk I’ve spoken to!

Also, how on earth do folks find times to do that and balance that with other things?!

I used to walk (cycle) the dog in the mornings before kids, but that changed once I had kids. Now it’s done in the evening, after dinner. But that’s fairly limited time wise

Home around 6.45-7.30, spend time with kids, bedtime, have dinner. The rest of the time I’d quite like to spend time with the wife or chilling out in front of the TV, or doing other odds and ends. Doing a 90 minute walk would be a killer. Fine if I can do it with the wife, but if the kids are home then someone has to stay home

Some pics just to prove he’s not a fat bloater (though he would be if he could)

Drac

People don’t walk dogs. They lie to everyone about how they empty them. It’s plain to see most are overweight and despite daily emptying in the park the dogs are still full of dog food and shit.

I don’t think it the dogs that are full of shit.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

We’ve got a ginger one and a stray one – In the week they get 30-45 mins in the morning before work, an hour at lunchtime and 30 mins to 90 mins in the evening depending what the weather is doing. At weekends they get a 2 hour off lead walk and a shorter early evening trot.

In between walks our ungrateful beasts spend their days listening to Radio4 and snoozing on the sofa.

cat69uk
    Free Member

5 year old Black Lab. Morning half hour, lunchtime 1 hour, tea time half hour, bed 10 minutes. All off lead. Weekends = 1 to 2 hour walks.
    Better than watching tv.

jimw
    Free Member

For our Golden Retriever It used to be a 1/2 hour to 1hour walk middayish on the hills during the week depending on how much time my partner could get away for lunch, with another 20 mins or so with me down the lane in the evening if possible.the lunchtime walks would be longer at weekends

Now she is 16 and a half years old she really only potters in the house and garden.

snakebite
    Free Member

Here’s mine….I cant wear him out ever…. he just lookas at me as if to say ‘ready when you are…..

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Rough haired jack Russell- open back door dog chases rabbits around the garden for 30mins returns fully satisfied he has done his job and goes back to sleep – repeat three times a day. Never caught a rabbit but that does not seem to make it any less fun for him.

spacemonkey

he just lookas at me as if to say ‘ready when you are…..

Our Springer was the same when he was younger. Had to be careful to keep him hydrated on hot days as he would go rampaging around at full speed until suddenly hitting the wall.

Still has boundless energy and he’ll happily do 2+hrs over Surrey’s finest hills. That’s for weekends though. Mon-Fri he gets 15-30 mins.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

6yr old Boxer Spaniel cross and 2yr old Boxer Staffy cross – get 15 mins leg stretch in the garden in the morning, half an hour of the same at lunch, then they come to the yard with us in the evening, so 2-3hrs of running about off-lead. Occasionally I’ll take them for an actual off-lead walk round the woods, no less than 90mins. Weekends they’re up at the yard all day, so anything from 3-7hrs running about off-lead with the other owners’ dogs. Sometimes take them out with the bike as well, but that’s fast work so not usually more than an hour or so.

jolmes
    Free Member

1yr old bob tail, last 6 months have been shite – short lead walks due to leg problems and other health issues, hers not ours. On the mend now after her first season and slowly extending the walks. Seems to have changed slightly after her season, much more receptive and slightly more obedient. Still prefers her ball though to food so training is done with balls, not food. Such an odd dog!

Currently on 20-30 mins morning, 30-45 mins at lunch then 20-40 mins after work and 15-20 mins before bed.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Dog owners – what's you're daily walking regime like?’ is closed to new replies.