Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Dog owners – what's you're daily walking regime like?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just wondering. How often? How far? What sort of times of day? Just thinking how the new dog (when we get it) will fit into the household routine, or how the new routine will need to adapt.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Usually once a day, occasionally twice. Minimum of 1 hour in the hills, all off the lead. Usually more like 2 hours. Time depends on shifts.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Whatever you do, make sure you do it in a pair of £200 wellies.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Before work take the dog for a shit outside the neighbours house I hate that guy!

Come home at lunch take him round the block to shit outside the nobhead round the corners house. I alternate this route with another loop which goes past this other nobheads house.

After work I drive down to the big park. I let the dog off the lead to tear around terrorising any clowns on the park, I especially like to take him for poo on the kids playground! There’s always some biker dicks who come roaring up at warp factor 1000 wiping out several kids and pensioners in the process, I think they have killed a few in the last month alone, not to mention the one that broke my dogs back! Sometimes I pick up the turds (if people are looking) not in the undergrowth of course, then hang them from the dog shit tree on the way out, it’s like urban art everyone loves it!

What you’ve got to do is recruit as many people into the doggie lifestyle (it’s a much simpler emotional relationship) as possible, then we can rid people who don’t have/like dogs, especially them bikers hooning around at 2 million miles an hour on untaxed death machines, can’t they afford a car or something! hate keeping Tyson, Zeus, Fang and Faceoff on a lead for those ****…….sometimes I let them chase them a bit 😆

When night falls I’m out again this time on the local mountain bike trails where I lay sticks, logs and paving stones across the trails. I’m taking barbed wire next week 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Best thing we did was to not create a routine. That way he’s not barking for a walk on a sunday morning at 6 30 when you’ve possibly been on the lash all night. Depending on where the mrs is working he gets out once or twice in the morning before work then sometimes in the afternoon early or late. It’s worked really well for us as he’s rarely alone for more than 4 hrs but being a sleepy boy and the usual manicness of our house he loves the odd quiet day. We are lucky that we back on to open fields so its straight over the fence. I hate pavement walking as it’s boring but it does his discipline good. He also has a run of the garden all day in winter if we’re in as he loves to just lie out there, dog the **** lawn up etc bit of a ball ache in winter though as the **** kitchen gets freezing. Moral of that story is theyre all different and easily shaped in to what goes off.

anagallis_arvensis

Ours get half an hour off lead in morning and again same in evening. Sleeps the rest of the day. She’s a lurcher though they dont need much exercise.

chestrockwell

As a rule our Lab gets 15-30 mins in the morning, 45 to 90 mins off the lead, chasing balls and swimming in the afternoon then 10-15 mins before bed. Seems to keep her in good shape.

If the afternoon session is late or not active enough she lets us know though.

mattbee

8 year old Springer Lab cross.
    Used to get an hour in the am and another in the pm from me or my wife as a minimum.
    Now has arthritis, collapsed disc in lower spine, heart murmur and the canine equivalent of copd. He will get offered a walk in the am, lunchtime and a couple of times in the afternoon/Eve by me, wife or dog walker (she just sits with him for 1/2 hour if he doesn’t want to go out). Sometimes get an hour out of him, sometimes 10 min.

CheesybeanZ

First walk about 6.10 for 30 minutes then about 8 they get 30/40 minutes off the lead . Another 30 minutes off the leads around lunchtime and a walk or training in the evening . We have parks and open space a few minutes from home so its easy for the off lead times . Thats for a pair of Wheaten terriers .

ontor
    Free Member

Our lab gets 2-4 hours daily off the lead, plus longer runs at the weekend. He’s a fit little thing.

Drac

Depends on my shifts. He’ll get around 15 mins in the morning and abut 20-30 at night.

Days off he’ll get about an hours walk with the odd day of around 2-3 hours. Today I’m planing on one more good hike before my charity walk so maybe 4-5 hours.

Euro
    Free Member

No real routine here. Mrs Me takes her for a walk most evenings/nights. If she doesn’t get the chance then i’ll take her out the front for me to play fetch while the dog pisses in everyone’s garden. Between once/twice/thrice a week i take her for a doggy adventure. A few hours of running, swimming and rolling in smelly stuff. Dog even joins in sometimes 😀 . When i’m doing any trailbuilding/maintenance i’d bring the dog for company and let her run about.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Every day a minimum of 2 hours in all weathers, on work days we get up at 5 back for breakfast at 6.30, my wife does the evening walk.
    On off work days we walk for a minimum of 2 hours in the morning, in 9 years we have only missed two walks due to Pip [Miniature Schnauzer]being ill.
    I always pick up.
    Fair weather walkers and sh1 t in the garden owners boil my piss.
    The vet did comment on how slow Pips resting heart rate was on our last visit.

There are plenty of people who can’t bloody look after themselves, let alone a dog.

Drac

Hahaha! Dog’s resting HR.

barkm
    Free Member

2 x 40 mins, once in morning once in evening, actual time is deliberately variable due to previous issues with a pestering dog bark at 5.30 am. Greyhound so 40 mins is top end realistically, he’ll continue to plod beyond that but at a snails pace.

Pretty much asleep the rest of the time!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

half hour or forty five mins in the morning, every morning, usually a walk, or if myself or mrsmonkfinger run, he’ll go too

sometimes another walk in the evening, but not often, when he was younger / we didn’t have kids, he usually got two walks, but if it’s nice the boys come out for a wander around the nearby field/common with him

he’s almost never interested in going outside during the day, even if the doors open, lazy bugger

given the chance he’d sleep all day

angeldust
    Free Member

3 x 30minutes minimum every day. Really depends on what dog you have, of course.

Alex

hour in the morning in the woods with other dogs so gets a run around
    30-45 mins in the evening maybe a bit more in summer, less in the winter
    he’s 8 now tho and being a lab more of a walker with the occasional sprint if cow-poo has been spotted

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

60-90 mins in morning

40-60’mins in the evening/afternoon

It’s a big commitment that is often misunderstood pre-ownership

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Goes out in the garden when I get up at 0530, so has a couple of hours doing what they want until I leave at 0730, in the evening, about 1hr, or longer depending on what we are doing that night
    Wife is off at the minute, so she takes them out during the day.
    Weekends, at least 1 long walk of more than 3hrs, but then we like longer walks, so its all good.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Out in the garden in the morning sniffing around for next doors cat. Then 1-3hrs depending on where we go in the evening. Usually the beach.

jerseychaz

A good hour in the morning – between 7 & 8 depending on work start time and 40 mins in the afternoon usually about 3pm. Mostly off the lead. There’s also playtime in the garden around 5pm for half an hour chasing balls, me and a broom! He’s 40kg of Lab- the vet is more than happy with his weight and size which match quite well. We only get the “hard stare” for the afternoon walk if we are late or sitting about not doing much, he does let me know if I try and cut the AM walk short though.

Drac

But is your vet impressed by his resting heart rate Jeresey? 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Usually once a day, occasionally twice. Minimum of 1 hour in the hills, all off the lead. Usually more like 2 hours. Time depends on shifts.

Whatever you do, make sure you do it in a pair of £200 wellies.

Summed up in the first two three posts 🙂

thepublican
    Free Member

Sringer spaniel owner. 3 walks per day midweek, all off lead in countryside, around 2 miles. Big walk/ride of a few hours at the weekend as his weekend treat. Def £200 wellies…

franksinatra

Our Sprocker pup is only 14 weeks old so trying to keep exercise time down at the moment, but this is pretty hard work as she loves being out and I love taking her out.

Currently about 25mins in the morning before breakfast and around 30mins in afternoon/evening. All off lead.

Scapegoat

Labrador, working version. Gets fifteen minutes leg stretch in the morning with Mrs Scape. I take her for 45 minutes to an hour lunchtime off lead and mix with some training, usually involving some swimming then another half an hour to 40 minutes between 8.30 and 10. She’s only 8 months, so shouldn’t be over-exercised. That will gradually increase to all day stuff when she’s old enough. Working she’ll need stamina to hunt and retrieve for up to five or six hours on and off in season.

I have no idea what her resting heart rate is.
    My wellies did not cost £200, I spent all my money on trendy fleece gilets and tartan dog beds.

benp1

Hmmm, I’m not fairing too well in this discussion

34kg Lab, in very good shape

He gets a walk most days, but not necessarily every day (doesn’t always work out like that)

Usual approach is 3 mile loop in the park on the bike. It’s about 30-35 minutes start to finish from my front door. He’s usually jogging round. Every now and then, though hasn’t been for a while, I’ll do a bigger 6-10 mile loop.

He sometimes goes for a run with my wife. Rarely get’s a ‘walk’, i.e. someone walking around with them.

He’s very low maintenance and in very good health

Forget the expensive wellies, buy yourself a dog-walking-bike. I use a rigid singlespeed el mariachi

Got a monster walk on the weekend – all day walk on the Kent coast, did 28 miles and 5,500ft of climbing, we were both knackered!

dragon
    Free Member

Standard Poodle who at present gets morning 30 mins, afternoon 20-30 mins, evening 15 mins, currently mostly done around the streets/park and on the lead as she damaged her knee. We are starting to let her off the lead again for controlled periods of time, and fingers crossed she’ll be back up to full fitness over the next month or so. Before the damaged knee walks off lead for up to 1 hour twice a day weren’t uncommon.

snakebite
    Free Member

My springer has a strava account now as I got a gps unit for his collar. Its ace…but Im forever trying to improve his KOMS.

piha
    Free Member

My 4 year old, 35kg rescue mongrel gets at least 2 walks a day. 45 minutes in the morning and at least an hour in the evening. Often gets a walk around lunchtime too. Evening walk includes off lead time and play with other dogs as we go to an area popular with dog walkers. Usually have some robust play in the evening too.

2 or 3 times a month he will get an all day long walk. We just spent a long weekend on the Jurassic coast and he loved his hours and hours of walks but he is very happy to snooze all day long.

No idea on my or his HR and no wellies either.

the-muffin-man

We have a Border Terrier…

• Morning – hoofed out the back door and he mooches around the garden for 15 minutes or so.
    • He then comes to work with me and we go for a 20 minute walk at lunch.
    • Evenings – 30 to 45 minute walk depending on weather.

Weekends – a 2 hour walk on each day.

He doesn’t need a great deal and is as happy sleeping under my desk as going for a walk.

He doesn’t like heat either so it tends to be shorter walks in summer, longer in winter.

dragon
    Free Member

gps unit for his collar.

Which one? I’ve always been tempted to try and measure the speed of our dog, although with her dodgy knee that will have to wait for the time being.

smartay

Regime changed now our lab 13years old, 10 mins mornings, 30 minutes tea time and 15 last thing, however he is outside all day

richc
    Free Member

Mine get 30 to 45 minutes off lead in the morning, 60 to 90 minutes in the evening. Used to be more but mine are getting on now (one is 6 and the other is 7, so 3 hour walks are a thing of the past). All in muck boots; so not expensive but not cheap wellies 🙂 I’ve no idea about resting HR

Walking a dog on the lead doesn’t really count towards it exercise as they aren’t run/sniffing/whatever…

They don’t always get the much on the weekends if I’m in the garden all day as they are knackered from running around, barking at walkers going past the house, digging, swimming in the pond and terrorizing the chickens.

Fair weather walkers and sh1 t in the garden owners boil my piss.

Made me smile; as one of mine seems to save its shit for when it gets home, so after a 90 minute walk she is dying to get home and do a monster turd on the lawn.

monde
    Free Member

Working Lab and German Pointer. Hour a day during the week all off lead and then up to 6 hours a day on the weekend if working or out for few hours with me on the bike.

With certain breeds you can walk as much as you like but you will just end up with a fit dog not a tired dog. Interact with them properly during a walk and you don’t need more than an hour of off lead excercise a day during the week.

richc
    Free Member

With certain breeds you can walk as much as you like but you will just end up with a fit dog not a tired dog.

Very true. Trying to walk an active breed into knackered obedience doesn’t work, you need to play with them to really tire them out and ensure they are happy.

franksinatra

my dog seems to delight in saving up its shits for the worst time /place. It will go for walk in the morning then hang out in the garden without ‘movement’ then crimp one off at the school gate in front of disapproving parents. Or it will go for a walk then dump on the neighbours lawn as we arrive back.

Last night it was on a neighbours driveway as we walked around the street with the kids selling programmes for the village festival.

richc
    Free Member

One of mine seems to like to do stealth turds when I’m doing stuff in the garden, so all of a sudden there is a bad stench and a dog looking at me wagging as she has left me a present ‘somewhere’.

Drac

With certain breeds you can walk as much as you like but you will just end up with a fit dog not a tired dog.

Yup I can’t tire my Border even if he’s running about with other dogs. We did a With certain breeds you can walk as much as you like but you will just end up with a fit dog not a tired dog. We did a 15 mile romp across moorlands on Sunday, when we got kids were home so he decided to run around the house with his toys for half an hour.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Dog owners – what's you're daily walking regime like?’ is closed to new replies.