Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • dog owners
  • swiss01
    Free Member

i’m out last night catching a quick wee solo night ride in what’s left of the snow and i’m up the top of my first hill and i’m just getting into it as it’s been a while. downhill i go, skimming the bushes at the side of the track, see something that i think could be a bird (?) on a branch only next thing i’m into it only it isn’t a bird but a bag of someone’s dog’s finest tied up on a branch. (yes, my eyesight is rubbish, so much so that birds/sac du merd can be mistaken)

my question – what is this all about? is it purely a perthshire thing or do people tie sacks of dog sh*t in trees elsewhere?

also, seeing as it’s doing it as a write this – there appears to be some world war II aircraft like a spitfire or a hurricane flying about above my house (i’d post a pic but it’s beyond me) surely this can’t be a real plane?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Nah they do it all over.

johnellison
    Free Member

Nope, it happens everywhere. As a dog owner who bothers to tidy up after my dog and bin the evidence properly this kind of behaviour makes my blood boil. 👿

zippykona

I think there was a national campaign that if you were a complete and utter **** you had to let everyone know by hanging poo in a tree.
    Make a sign and put it at the entrance to the woods. It might make some of them think twice.

ssjeff
    Free Member

Do you lot realise how much training it takes to get a dog to crap in a bag before flinging it up into a tree?? Do you? Do you?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not only is introducing non degradeable waste into the ecosystem, its putting it in full view of everyone.
    The logic (or lack of) defies belief.
    A turd will break down naturally over the course of time (viles as it is), so why bother bagging it?

swavis

As a dog owner who bothers to tidy up after my dog and bin the evidence properly this kind of behaviour makes my blood boil.

this 👿

M1llh0use
    Free Member

saw a dog owner do this recently and asked why.

answer was that they walk back the same way and collect it on way back. and to be fair i don’t often see any left in that area….

happyrider
    Free Member

It drives me utterly nuts! I can’t let my little girl run about on the footpath outside our house for fear of her running into or picking up dog crap! (She’s only 2)

Most people use it for their personal dog toilet and seem to have no problem with it. It’s Westcott to Dorking cycle path. Now they are putting fencing either side so it’s going to concentrate the crap between the fencing. Brilliant.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I am a dog owner and I don’t do that, I have left bags to pick up on way back, but by the gate into the field I’m just going into to give the dog a run around then leaving again, not when going a long way away, and I always pick it up. Never met anyone who [admitted that they] leave theirs on a tree. Don’t see why you would unless you are just a lazy idle self centred **** unaware that other people exist in the world.

Don’t see it round our way either tbh.

That said dogshit IS becoming an issue at Stainburn.

Helios
    Free Member

As a dog owner who bothers to tidy up after my dog and bin the evidence properly this kind of behaviour makes my blood boil.

Yup – this for me to – drives me up the wall. It isn’t difficult to watch your dog, notice when they take a dump, and pick it up.

I’m ashamed to say my father in law thinks it’s acceptable for his dogs to crap away from the path and leave it there, or to sling the bag into the bushes if he can’t be bothered to carry it. Grrr…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m a dog owner and I just don’t get it. You’ve managed to bag it which is the worst bit. How hard is it to find a bin?

Although some bloke tried giving me a hard time for putting it in a normal bin. He was very adamant that it neded a poo specific bin.

Karinofnine

I pick up after Teddy and Dot. If I am coming back the same way I will leave the bag and collect it on the way back, although that depends on where we are. Otherwise I double bag and put it in my pocket or bag. I forgot once and that I had some in my pocket, couldn’t understand why I could smell shit lol

ads678

A turd will break down naturally over the course of time (viles as it is), so why bother bagging it?

Dog poo is not just a turd though is it, it contains some quite harmful stuff to humans. It has been known to cause blindness in children if they happen to fall on it*, and children are very good at falling!!

*Obviously the poo hasd to actually contact the eyes, falling on their bum in it will not cause blindness!!

swiss01
    Free Member

it’s the display element of it that’s particularly beyond me. if they’re so bothered about not taking their dog’s deposit home why not stash it somewhere less obvious. but it seems to be becoming more common not less. dog owners i know are as mystified as me and possibly more outraged.

there’s a sign on the path i was on about cyclists giving way to walkers. i have no problems with this. however i feel i’m going to get msswiss busy with the laminator so that i can put my own sign up. what to say – dog sh1t doesn’t grow on trees,there’s no need to pretend it does.

suggestions please….

mintimperial

I used to live near a slightly batty old lady who had a bee in her bonnet about dog shite (to be fair, there was loads of it on the lane she lived on, it’s the local dog toilet, basically). She used to chase down lazy dog owners and yell at them for not clearing up, and had been known to shovel up repeat offenders’ crap and dump it on the owners steps.

Anyway, she occasionally went through phases of hanging abandoned crap-bags on fences and trees to show just how much got left behind, bagged up but not binned. There was quite a lot of it. Perhaps it’s similar annoyed people who do this, rather than dog owners?

chojin
    Free Member

I don’t know about you, but this thread is getting me into the Christmas spirit nice and early.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Actually, no im not going to post what I just thought.

marsdenman
    Free Member

I used to live near a slightly batty old lady who had a bee in her bonnet about dog shite (to be fair, there was loads of it on the lane she lived on, it’s the local dog toilet, basically). She used to chase down lazy dog owners and yell at them for not clearing up, and had been known to shovel up repeat offenders’ crap and dump it on the owners steps.

Anyway, she occasionally went through phases of hanging abandoned crap-bags on fences and trees to show just how much got left behind, bagged up but not binned. There was quite a lot of it. Perhaps it’s similar annoyed people who do this, rather than dog owners?
    🙂
    She also saw that CCTV was installed on that stretch of path and she has put out a bin for folk to drop their bags in – she empties / cleans it once a week!
    Reminds me, Ted The Terrier and I have not seen her in months…

scruff
    Free Member

johnellison
    Free Member

Slightly OT but I’m fed up with horse $h!t everywhere.

I know it’s probably not as potentially toxic as dog-eggs, but it pisses me off that riders feel it’s acceptable to leave great steaming piles of the stuff all over the pavements.

Last time I looked, horses were supposed to be in the roadway 👿

Taz

As a dog owner this drives me nuts. If it was not so prevalent I would suggest it is honest mistakes of people who intend to collect on the way back and forget

However there is too much of it. I genuinely want to know why people do this.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I don’t really understand the logic. Don’t get me wrong, dog mess anywhere is grim and I without exception bag it and bin it but why go to the bother of bagging it up, tieing up said bag only to then hang it on a tree/fence and leave it there. Your half way to doing the right thing but then take a huge step back and just compound the problem that you were trying to resolve. All that you have done is add a plastic bag into the equation. You may as well go the whole hog and cover your dogs turd with the contents of your bin.

mulv1976
    Free Member

However there is too much of it. I genuinely want to know why people do this.

Because they are utterly selfish w**kers. My four year old and I played a nice game of ‘count the dog poo bags’ along a 100 yard stretch back to the punchbowl car park on the chase a few weeks ago. 56 bags in total. Fifty bleedin six!! What is wrong with people!?

mintimperial

Ted The Terrier and I have not seen her in months…

That’s cos she’s moved house. Her reign of terror is over!

maxlite
    Free Member

Terrible approach to the environment….people do not give a sh_t

Some people drop them over the end of bridge, which ends up in a mound of poo bags and there is a dog bin within sight…..lazy buggers

Really annoys me 🙁

coopersport1
    Free Member

Drives me up the wall too! I bag and bin it, however if there is an opportunity for me to kick it or flick under a bush where it will never be ridden or trodden in I do so, rather than introduce more non-biodegradable waste into the environment.

char34
    Free Member

i **** hate inconsiderate dog owners who leave thier dogs mess all over, got to the stage if i see someone who leaves it i confront them , the country side is for everyone and should be respected by everyone , the owners allways try to play the victim , dirty bastids

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

spitfires and dog **** go together like [complete the sentence].

irelanst
    Free Member

I am in no way condoning the poo hangers and I know this may incur the wrath of the majority but, on our last trip back to the UK with the dog it struck me how utterly useless it is for dogs over there.

Every green space and path had ‘dogs must be on leads’ signs, no dog parks, no dedicated dog walking routes, no dogs on public transport, no dogs in shops or restaurants it’s rubbish. If we moved back to the UK I doubt we would have another dog.

Perhaps if dog owners had dedicated, maintained areas to take their dogs then the situation may improve?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I am in no way condoning the poo hangers and I know this may incur the wrath of the majority but, on our last trip back to the UK it struck me how utterly useless it is

FTFY

mulv1976
    Free Member

Perhaps if dog owners had dedicated, maintained areas to take their dogs then the situation may improve?

No. The types of people inconsiderate enough to leave their dogs turds around where kids have to play would care even less if they had dedicated dog areas. It’s not that hard – if your dog craps where people are likely to play/walk/ride, pick it up and take it home. I’m sure they wouldn’t like it if I crapped on their driveway and left it there…

(which made me think there was perhaps more to this than reported 😉 )

pingu66
    Free Member

The reason we have no dogs in parks, dogs on leads signs, no dogs in shops etc is that most dog owners are irresponsible twunts.

Bagging it and putting it in a tree just shows the stupidity of some as ultimately it would have less environmental impact if they left it, which they shouldn’t, yeah its not great if there is no bin but guess what, I have a bin at home so I can take it there which is where the crap goes out of my garden as well.

I can imagine the state of some of these peoples back gardens a foot high in dog shite.

johnellison
    Free Member

Wouldn’t happen. You only need to visit any caravan park or campsite that has a dedicated dog-walk area (many do in the UK) and you’ll see that it’s every bit as bad.

I can imagine the state of some of these peoples back gardens a foot high in dog shite.

Highly unlikely – not cleaning up after your dog is NIMBYism gone mad.

Helios
    Free Member

pingu66 – Member

The reason we have no dogs in parks, dogs on leads signs, no dogs in shops etc is that most dog owners are irresponsible twunts.

Holy over-generalisation batman… That’s about as accurate and helpful as saying “most cyclsts run red lights”.

There are about 8 million dogs in the UK. Assuming 2 craps per dog per day that’s 16 million craps each day, or 5.8 billion craps per year. If most dog owners didn’t pick up after their dogs you wouldn’t actually be able to move for dog crap. Assuming that dog owners spend 50% of their time on b-roads, minor roads or pedestrianised streets* then there would be over 8,400 craps per year per km of road. If dog crap takes over a month to breakdown, that would mean you would see 1 dog crap pretty much every meter, wherever you walked or drove, every day, all year.

*approx 350,000 km based on ordnance survey calculations, 2001

pingu66
    Free Member

OK so admittedly an over generalisation as that would mean over 50%.

steviecapt
    Free Member

ok recently had a nice conversation with a guy who just as i opened my front door was just about to walk away as his dog shit right in front of my door, i replied to him that if he didnt pick it up i would follow him home then wipe the dog shit all over his windows, needless to say he saw the error of his ways and picked it up, maybe more people should do the same chuck it back from whence it came, dirty basa–s

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘dog owners’ is closed to new replies.