Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dog Owners – which pet insurance?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

We are after a dog insurance policy that will pay out if the worst happens …
    Can anyone recommend a policy please?

Vet recommended Pet Plan but are there any others?

brant
    Free Member

We use More>Than. Seemed pretty good. Paid up when dog fell off cliff and had lots of bills.

Moomin
    Free Member

My wife is a vet nurse and recommends Pet Plan but not the budget policy. She says the intermediate policy is usually plenty.

Beware yearly policies as for example if your dog suffers an injury or illness within that year, then the following year when you come to re new your policy they won't cover that condition, other companies will not cover also as they consider it a pre existing condition.

Also stay right away from a company called E+L if you ever want your money back.

Pet plan seem to come out a little more expensive than the rest but never put their premiums up based on your claim. They do it on the area and I think it's been a good few years since they increased their premiums or excess. Most other companies put theirs up yearly.

Hope this is of some use to you.
    His Vet Nurse Wife ( and no i'm not on commission ha ha)

darrell
    Free Member

we have made the decision to not insure the dog. i think its a waste of money. insure things that you cannot afford to lose or pay out for – house, car, health. insurance companies are just playing on your fears. instead save the money you would give the insurance companies and put it into a saving account. in all probability nothing will happen to your dog that costs more than the money in the account.

Jase
    Free Member

What Moomin said.

My partner also works in a Vet and Pet Plan are the best to deal with.

Having £9k vet bill over an 18 month period I'd have to disagree with Darrell.

Its good to have peace of mind and know that if your dog ever gets ill you have the recommended treatment without having to consider the cost.

Drac

I'd disagree with Darell to after paying £1,200 to put my lab right she got ran over, would have been a lot more too but the vet stopped charging. That would have been a lot more that £10 per month that we nearly took out on for the insurance would have been if we had saved it. It's cost you about £30 just for the vet to say "Hi" never mind any treatment.

Lets face it too banking some money each month for your pet is going to be used on bike bits not fixing your pooch.

My mother in law uses pet plan and they've paid up no problem at all each time without question even on repeating problems.

anagallis_arvensis

insure things that you cannot afford to lose

Which is why my dogs insured. I'm with M&S, was cheaper than pet plan and you can claim up to 7 grand a year and it is ongoing for recurring problems.

MrsTricky
    Free Member

Another vote for petplan. Our labrador developed joint problems at age 4 needing a 2.5k operation – petplan dealt direct with the vet, giving us alot less to worry about. They also pay for the glucosamine tablets she has to take every day, and for hydrotherapy when she needed it.

MrsT

DezB
    Free Member

I used confused.com (sorry, that sounds like that cheesy advert!)- M&S came out cheapest for the best cover.

PePPeR

I tend to insure mine when they are young, when all the silly and stupid things seem to happen!

When they get older they settle down and tend not to be so daft!

This year with my new Springer the vets bills have come to over £1300, I had to pay the first £900 as I'd not gotten around to sorting out a policy, oh boy do I regret that!

Oh and I've been using Tescos, our vets said "we're not allowed to recommend insurers, but cough Sainsburys and Tescos are easy to deal with".

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dog Owners – which pet insurance?’ is closed to new replies.