Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 184 total)
  • dog on bike trails – wtf!
  • U31
    Free Member

I think we should get like Korea… What food shortages! 😀

U31
    Free Member

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Cynic-al

Fairly sure a lot of trail centres have “shared trail” sections marked on their maps.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I (and the rider I was chasing) encountered an old chap with his dog on the cyclocross course I was racing yesterday. The guy didn’t even look round when I shouted “riders”. He was about 20ft away from the big start/finish gantry with loudhailers, crowds of people as well, so it was pretty obvious he was walking on the course. Muppet.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

The issue is the status of the dedication of a trail.

Shared trail – shared use
    Dedicated bike trail – bike use
    Unmarked trail – free for all

Sorry chap, don’t think there’s any such thing in the vast majority of FC managed forests. From personal experience FC will restrict the access of horses (and bikes) in certain areas but access on foot (and by association, the dog as well) is rarely if ever prohibited.

I’ve had this discussion with bike rangers, recreation rangers and beat foresters in the woods where we’ve built trails. There may be the odd exception, but it’s that and not the rule.

Anyway, like I said before; share and share alike, easy come, easy go, always look on the bright side of life etc etc 😎

imnotverygood

This summer I was going down a fire road with two horses up ahead going the same way as me, so I slowed right up. As I got to the first one the rider said . ‘Can you go really slowly past the horse ahead: It’s scared of bikes’. So I slow down to a crawl to get past horse #2. As I creep past (having coughed & sniffed loudly to let it know I was there), the horse goes ballistic & nearly throws the rider. So she was right. The horse was petrified of bikes, but I really couldn’t have gone by it any more carefully: The moral of the story?

Although you may be completely entitled to be there, if your horse is scared of bikes maybe Glentress is not the best place to bring it.

As with all these things a bit of commonsense is needed on all sides.

Cubed
    Free Member

FC land is working land but where the trails are clearly marked there is normally a designation of shared/ bike etc. Doesn’t always apply. But where i mostly ride at Cannock they go to great effort to make it clear.

I’m sure everyones dogs are well trained. But i won’t be paying any vets bills when your animal gets caught in my wheel or if i land on top of it.

Sometimes – all i want to do is whip round sections in total burnout mode and not have to worry about the pooch in front of me that i spotted on my way round.

Is it a responsible owner that puts their pet in that position??

flatfish
    Free Member

Cubed, can you not agree to share something like a bit of trail?
    You say

all i want to do is whip round sections in total burnout mode and not have to worry about the pooch in front of me that i spotted on my way round.

If you’ve spotted the “pooch” theres going to be no issue’s as you can slow down to avoid it.

mimi123
    Free Member

You say

all i want to do is whip round sections in total burnout mode and not have to worry about the pooch in front of me that i spotted on my way round.

If you’ve spotted the “pooch” theres going to be no issue’s as you can slow down to avoid it.

Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post

I would say you are talking mince, why should a rider have to slow down for a dog that shouldn’t be on the trail in the first place! You are one of these people likely to become responsible for someones injury or broken bike! Foot paths are there for a reason as are parks, trail centres were intended for cyclists!

I would also point out that most have public toilets and there for I feel no need to have a wee on the trail or expose myself in public, perhaps you do, possibly because you spend too much time biking wiht your dog instead of people!

I would imagine that you dog doesn’t use the public toilet intended for use by the cyclists using the trail centres and does however piss and shit all over the trail, I very much doubt when this happens you get the old poop scoop out your camelbak either!

Should i be unlucky enought to ride into a dogs shit I would serioulsy make the owner clean it off!

Point made?????

mimi123
    Free Member

You say

Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post

I would say you are talking mince, why should a rider have to slow down for a dog that shouldn’t be on the trail in the first place! You are one of these people likely to become responsible for someones injury or broken bike! Foot paths are there for a reason as are parks, trail centres were intended for cyclists!

I would also point out that most have public toilets and there for I feel no need to have a wee on the trail or expose myself in public, perhaps you do, possibly because you spend too much time biking wiht your dog instead of people!

I would imagine that you dog doesn’t use the public toilet intended for use by the cyclists using the trail centres and does however piss and shit all over the trail, I very much doubt when this happens you get the old poop scoop out your camelbak either!

Should i be unlucky enought to ride into a dogs shit I would serioulsy make the owner clean it off!

Point made?????

tazzymtb

Point made?????

you really are a grumpy little muffin aren’t you? Have you considered some breathing exercises or maybe some relaxation techniques to help you put life into perspective a wee bit. 😀

mimi123
    Free Member

btw just to clarify I am not stating that people should not take their dogs on shared rights of way – only trail centres i.e glentress where they ahve seperate paths for walkers and if they want their dogs, bikes are seperate and dangerous for not only dogs but also riders and also make the person bringing their dog onto the trail look like a total kno3 end!

flatfish
    Free Member

get you and your agressiveness. 😯

Kamikirk
    Free Member

Is it me or is mimi123 like a dog with a bone, if so does that mean he should stay off the trails himself! 😆

flatfish
    Free Member

lmao 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mimi – as I have repeatedly said – a well trained dog is no issue on teh trails – and glentress is open to all suprisingly. Its open access as is most land in Scotland.

I am no dog lover but I have seen dogs at trail centres that are no bother at all.

However flatfish will not concede that the dog must be of no bother to anyone – if it gets in teh riders way the dog owner is liable for any damage caused. Its purely on the dog owner to keep teh dog out of the way

flatfish
    Free Member

TJ, why do you tar all dog’s with the same brush? As i said in an earlier post my brother-in-law’s dog is a liability and i wouldn’t take it out of his house unless on a lead, however, i trust my dog to ride/run a trail approx 1-2 metres in front of my front wheel and have had only one minor issue, which didn’t involve an accident to me, the dog or any other. It’s the dog’s owner’s duty to make sure you have a well trained canine. My dog’s only vice is not being able to wee/poo on a lead which i take full responibility for, however he poo’s/wee’s in the bushes before mimi pipes up again. I will concede that some owners, my brother in law included, are a nusiance to the rest of us but please don’t tar all dog owner’s with the same brush, as you wouldn’t tar all cyclist for going through a red light.

druidh
    Free Member

flatfish – what’s your beef? TJ has already said that some dogs are no issue.

TandemJeremy – Member
    Mimi – as I have repeatedly said – a well trained dog is no issue on teh trails – and glentress is open to all suprisingly. Its open access as is most land in Scotland.

I am no dog lover but I have seen dogs at trail centres that are no bother at all.

pitduck
    Free Member

ooo mimi your scary, or a berk i can`t decide 😯

flatfish
    Free Member

I’m not trying to sound like i’m having a go at TJ, although he does wind me up at times i will admit, it’s the other nay sayers that are having a go at dogs in general without knowing any background on the dogs training that’s got my back up.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flatfish – you need to stop equating a dog with a child and also to realise that folk do not have to take any account of your dog. Your dog is your responsibility – no one else. Othe rpeople don’t owe a dog a duty of care.

NOpe – the dog must be under control. If it is getting in other peoples way it is not

If you injure anything, whether it be a dog, child or adult and it were to go to court, do you think the jury would agree that not being able to stop in time to avoid the moving obstacle,

Nope – a dog is not a child – its your responsiblity to keep the dog out of the way

flatfish
    Free Member

At no point have i said my dog is, “not under control.” I cannot, however, account for other peoples dogs.
    If I am stopped on the trail, for instance, due to a downed rider and my dog is sat on the trail waiting to go, is it acceptable for mimi to come barreling round a corner and run over my dog?
    As i said before if somebody,anybody, possibly mimi, comes round a corner and hits a sheep, of which there are many at cwm carn is it acceptable for him to say “**** it, sheep shouldn’t be here” and ride off without so much as a by your leave?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flatfiush – you still don’t get it. Its not a sheep nor a child. Its a dog and it is your responsibility. You need to keep it from being a nusience – you have a responsibility to do so. That includes getting it off the trail in the situation you describe not leaving it as a hazard

flatfish
    Free Member

From that statement if my dog wasn’t there i would be hit by “mimi”. Is that still acceptable? As in my eyes he couldn’t stop in a controlled manner, therefore riding dangerously.
    Just the same as if my dog is in a controlled fashion, sat, that means not moving, therefore not unpredictably, on a trail due to me telling him to stop because of a hypothetical downed rider.
    I think you fail to see both sides of the story sometimes TJ.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flatfish – a dog is not a person. This is the bit you don’t get. Take your dog on the trails by all means but you have a responsibility to keep the dog out of the way of others using that trail.

Its a basic premise yo seem unable to grasp. You are rsponsible for your dog no matter what the dog is doing If Mimi hits you Mimi is at fault, if mimi hits your dog – you are at fault.

devs
    Free Member

My dog is under control and no problem at trail centres or anywhere else for that matter. I see others that aren’t and think it’s a little irresponsible and would give the owner of an out of control dog a mouthful/advice as required. Someone as aggressive/intolerant as mimi wouldn’t have to worry about my dog at all, it would be well down his priority list, however, I suspect he’s a wee sheep in real life and bleats his way down the trails to safety without saying anything before becoming ‘puffy the dog slayer’ once tucked up safely behind his keyboard.

flatfish
    Free Member

From that statement if my dog wasn’t there i would be hit by “mimi”. Is that still acceptable? As in my eyes he couldn’t stop in a controlled manner, therefore riding dangerously.
    Just the same as if my dog is in a controlled fashion, sat, that means not moving, therefore not unpredictably, on a trail due to me telling him to stop because of a hypothetical downed rider.

WHERE DID I STATE MY DOG WAS MY FOURTH CHILD IN THIS STATEMENT? jEEZ.

My dog is a dog, if it were to bite one of my three “real” children the wife knows it will be put down, no questions. Would you treat a child like that?
    I can see what your saying but you obviously can’t see what i have to say.
    I’m off to bed i can’t be bothered argueing with somebody that doesn’t read what i post.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You keep equating your dog with a child. I have quoted you doing so. It is not the same. You clearly cannot grasp this point. You seem to think that hitting a dog and hitting a chikld is the same thing – it is not.

flatfish
    If you injure anything, whether it be a dog, child or adult and it were to go to court, do you think the jury would agree that not being able to stop in time to avoid the moving obstacle,

I am responsible for not hitting your child when on my bike, you are responsible for your dog not getting under my wheels.

flatfish
    Free Member

TJ, kindly take a look at what you quote.

dog, child or adult

Notice the comma and the word or, adding both of these to a sentence creates an option in this case, not a comparison.

mimi123
    Free Member

So quick to comment on someone you know nothing about!

I am actually not a he!

I like the ”puffy the dog slayer” quote however may steal this for myself.

TJ – Glentress has both bike trails and walkers paths – both are separate!

I got quite annoyed as you lots are missing the point – trained t perfection or not a dog is still a dog and remains an unpredictable animal therefore has no place on marked bike trails! You all seem to think that the dog being well trained is going to stop it from running about mental in-front of someone, this is so not the case!

I also can’t believe you all think I am a bloke – perhaps it my forceful point making! 🙄

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve yet to see a rider with a dog. And if its on a man made, won’t everyone be going the same way?
    Flatfish I think the thing you might not be getting is that however well trained your dog is, its not going to be obvious to a non dog person. For s few seconds they’ll be worrying about their safety.
    We also have a guy that rides with us who has a real fear of dogs, especially ones not on s lead. You wouldn’t think it if you saw him.
    And s local rider was taken down by a dog recently, he suffered broken ribs and damage to his bike. They settled out of court, as they convinced him that it was uncharacteristic behavior.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flatfiush

You still continue to miss the point. You cannot compare a dog to a human which you have done numerous times. You remain responsible for the dog. This is the point you cannot seem to grasp.

If I crash into a human then generally I would be at fault, however If I crash into a dog the dog owner would be at fault. IT IS THE DOG OWNERS RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THE DOG UNDER CONTROL AT ALL TIMES

Mimi -= the glentress trails all are open to all – they have indicators on them but under access legislation no route is exclusive for the use of one group.

A well trained do is no issue – I don’t like dogs but I have seen well trained dogs on trails that are no issue at all

Cubed
    Free Member

Mimi can i suggest you read my full posts here – you seem to have grasped the wrong end of the doggy stick.

I am not a dog owner
    I am not a fan of dogs on trails after being knocked of my bike, forced to stop 3 times in one session at Cannock this summer.

I made it very clear about trail usage based on dedication in my earlier posts.

mimi123
    Free Member

TG I think you are missing my point, I however have to disagree with you – no matter how trained the dog is it will still be running about in front of folk on bikes and this is the issue as it can be dangerous to rider and dog! I think we have to agree to disagree. However I think that even if what you say is correct about Glen tress there is still marked walkers paths, therefore it is unfair on other riders is one decides to take their dog on a cycle route rather than a walkers path! Unless of course the dog ca ride a bike!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mimi – a well trained dog is no issue at all. The do not cause any issue to bike riders or themselves. I have ridden with well trained dogs. They will run either directly behind or in front of the owner and will not chase other bikes

mimi123
    Free Member

Like I said TG I reckon we have to agree to disagree!

Sandwich

As I’ve said before a dog is someones property and damaging a persons property is also a civil offence. (Why else do we have to report running down a dog to the police, English law Scottish may differ). If my property is safely out of the way and you break it I will seek recompense for it’s repair or replacement.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wrong in this context sandwich – if the dog gets hit by a rider on the trail it is the dog owners fault – and they would have to pay for any damage to the bike and rider.

The onus is on the dog owner to keep the dog under control

flatfish
    Free Member

From the colchester gazette,

A CASE against a cyclist accused of breaking a dog’s jaw while riding through a park has been dropped after a year of legal wrangling.

Springer spaniel Lucy was injured when a rider came around a corner on a cycle path in Castle Park, Colchester, and accidentally hit her in May last year.

Firefighter Craig Todd was later charged with careless cycling under the Road Traffic Act.

Admittedly not on a trail in a forest but never the less somebody was charged.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Charged but the case dropped. it would never stand up in court. RTA does not apply if you are not on a road anyway.

It is up to you to keep your dog out of the way – thats it. very simple

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘dog on bike trails – wtf!’ is closed to new replies.